Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: 19 teams?

Veterans List
    I think a roof is necessary because of the high likelihood of dreadfully cold and windswept weather down there both for games and training.

Without that, I reckon non Tasmanian draftees will be heading to the trade door very quickly and games might be of an ordinary standard due to poor weather. I know there is lots of ok weather in Hobart through winter but there's some bitter cold weather as well.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    As much as I despise Gil, there’s a small bit of me that wonders if that asterisk of requiring State and Fed funds was put next to the whole Tassie concept to kill it given he deep down knows the whole thing is unfinancial. We’re all attracted to the romance of them having a team, but the economics are diabolical.
    Could easily be true.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    As much as I despise Gil, there’s a small bit of me that wonders if that asterisk of requiring State and Fed funds was put next to the whole Tassie concept to kill it given he deep down knows the whole thing is unfinancial. We’re all attracted to the romance of them having a team, but the economics are diabolical.
    The AFL has a long history of seeking to achieve it's desired outcomes, by whatever expedient necessary - It was a constant motif of "The Boys Club" - so you could be correct. In which case should you be applauding it?
    I am not sure whether the economics are diabolical, I've heard arguments from both sides - but an decision making process that depends on underhand means rather than honest evaluation of the pros and cons is genuinely diabolical.
    I've never seen an organisation where the seperation of ends and means wasn't a clear marker for endemic and deep seated corruption based inefficiency. The AFL has been an effective monopoly for so long, it's enabled it to thrive despite being an organistational flustercluck.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 27th December 2022 at 08:03 AM.

Veterans List
    19 teams in a future Gather Round, who doesn't play a game?

Spot on. It will be a rod for there own back when the backlash comes, but Gill will be long gone by then

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    19 teams in a future Gather Round, who doesn't play a game?
    GWS.

19 teams?

Having lived in Tassie for 10 years, I knew Tasmania had a lot of problems that needed funding before they needed a new football stadium. But this article shows how bad things really are. Homelessness and a 50% illiteracy rate where particularly shocking.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...28-p5d3yo.html
    Last edited by Meg; 29th April 2023 at 01:25 PM.

I’d love to be excited but the cynic in me just feels it will be another case of a struggling team being a feeder club for the big VIC clubs. Since 2006 it is what - two premierships to non-Vic clubs (2012/2018) and 14 to Vic clubs. That’s a fair trend and I think the introduction of GWS and GC has a lot to do with the recent dominance of teams like Richmond, Geelong and Melbourne who have been able to secure top line players from the newer teams who now look pretty far away from being contenders.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by SCGonasunnyday View Post
    I’d love to be excited but the cynic in me just feels it will be another case of a struggling team being a feeder club for the big VIC clubs. Since 2006 it is what - two premierships to non-Vic clubs (2012/2018) and 14 to Vic clubs. That’s a fair trend and I think the introduction of GWS and GC has a lot to do with the recent dominance of teams like Richmond, Geelong and Melbourne who have been able to secure top line players from the newer teams who now look pretty far away from being contenders.
    Cray to introduce Tassie team with chronic problems with GC and GWS. Also stadium prerequisite and cost a disgrace given Tassie's social and economic situation. Albo of all people should no better. Sold us out with aukus and now selling Tassie people out.

It's politics overdrive. Gill wants government to build roofed stadium ($2b). He build support for Tassie team to pressure government. Government offers way under at $280m. Gill now stuck with the decision to go ahead with GWS/GC v2 in Tassie, or pull the pin.

The AfL leadership was counting on a vunerable cash-happy Morrison government, instead got a powerful Albanese government who have out manourvered them.

On the Rookie List
    Tassie is in. I'm excited about the team, less excited about the economics of it, particularly the cost of the stadium when the money could go to much more pressing concerns.
    I reckon the locals will get behind it in a big way.

It will be interesting to see if any poaching safeguards are put in place for northern clubs.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast