Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: 19 teams?

Senior Player
    The "foundation memberships" cost $10, so it's a nice PR exercise basically and 120,000 + people will get an awful lot of emails and texts
    about the new club over the next four years.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I believe the Swans pulled the same lever, successfully selling AFLW foundation memberships the season before the team entered the competition.

- - - Updated - - -

Mongrel Punt has looked at the potential for a 20th franchise https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-seaso...20th-afl-team/

The author recomends Newcastle - I had to check the date, in case it was an April Fools prank.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Long Term Injury List
    I like to think they copied the Swans idea of foundation membership for our AFLW team.
    Foundation memberships gave us the largest AFLW club membership before we even played a game.
    Not all of the foundation members renewed but a vast majority did and then more came onboard when the team started playing.

If it works for Tassie, they could have a fair lot of paid up members by the time they start playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I believe the Swans pulled the same lever, successfully selling AFLW foundation memberships the season before the team entered the competition.

- - - Updated - - -

Mongrel Punt has looked at the potential for a 20th franchise https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-seaso...20th-afl-team/

The author recomends Newcastle - I had to check the date, in case it was an April Fools prank.
    I think one of the "cons" that he mentioned is quite a large one, "No one in Newcastle has expressed an interest."

There doesn't really seem to be an easy choice for 20th team, and I sort of doubt if they'll go the other way to resolve the bye, and cut the number of teams back to 18. Although perhaps my preferred option would be to say to North, "Well, you could have moved to the Gold Coast, you could have moved to Tasmania, and you're still a basket case. So, now you'll be moving to the VFL".

On the Rookie List
    With regard to keeping team numbers to 18, perhaps the lowest ranked Victorian club could be relegated to the VFL and from there an annual promotion/relegation battle with just the Victorian clubs.

I jest, but the anguish and teeth-gnashing would be amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    With regard to keeping team numbers to 18, perhaps the lowest ranked Victorian club could be relegated to the VFL and from there an annual promotion/relegation battle with just the Victorian clubs.

I jest, but the anguish and teeth-gnashing would be amusing.
    I actually quite like that idea. And it might a bit more marketable than just banishing North, without the prospect of them returning.

Senior Player
    With changes to the draw being almost an annual event (ie, Round 0, Gather Round, the bye before the finals, the mid season bye being
    split over 3 weeks etc) it's hard to imagine we'll even notice yet another change to the draw when there are 19 teams. I guess the season
    is getting longer though. Personally I think there should just be 17 rounds, or 18 when there are 19 teams (everyone plays each other
    once and they alternate home grounds the next year), but I'm sure there will be way too many deals (broadcasting, sponsorship,
    stadium etc) in place already for that to happen

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    With changes to the draw being almost an annual event (ie, Round 0, Gather Round, the bye before the finals, the mid season bye being
    split over 3 weeks etc) it's hard to imagine we'll even notice yet another change to the draw when there are 19 teams. I guess the season
    is getting longer though. Personally I think there should just be 17 rounds, or 18 when there are 19 teams (everyone plays each other
    once and they alternate home grounds the next year), but I'm sure there will be way too many deals (broadcasting, sponsorship,
    stadium etc) in place already for that to happen
    If they have each team play the other 18 once, that would be very similar to our current regular season (9 matches each week) apart from the byes.

Instead of dedicated bye rounds (eg rnd 8-11) and say a week off before the finals, every week will see a different team get a bye.

This would create a lot of concern/angst about equity, around who gets a bye and when. Eg more time to prepare/recover for the finals for a team who gets a bye in round 18 vs the team that got a bye in round 1.

Also people analysing benefits/disadvantages of teams with a 6-8 day break vs a team that has a 13-15 day break.

For the above reason, I don’t think they can do just straight 18 game regular season. The finals bound teams (and those close to qualifying) have to have similar breaks before the top 8 (or whatever they might do) are locked in, or they will be so much outcry, if e.g., a top four team gets a rest before the finals, or if a bruised team one game out from qualifying has a 6 day break plays a team that has had a 15 day break.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Mongrel Punt has looked at the potential for a 20th franchise The 20th Licence - Who Gets the 20th AFL Team? - The Mongrel Punt

I don't see how a Newcastle club could be chosen when more plausible alternatives exist.

Some possibilities:
    * Canberra
    * Northern Australia
    * New Zealand
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

- - - Updated - - -

Mongrel Punt has looked at the potential for a 20th franchise The 20th Licence - Who Gets the 20th AFL Team? - The Mongrel Punt

I was thinking about this recently. Look at a time map of Sydney and put every NRL team on it.... There is nothing north of the Parramatta river, except manly and that's very providential.

Building a new team needs and empty demographic. (Tick), a central hub with good infrastructure (tick -chatswood, stay with me here) and a stadium (no tick).
    Build a boutique stadium at Chatswood oval, and you have the best location for a 20th team. Money, private schools.

The giants had no negative impact on the swans revenue, sponsorship or crowds.

It's the perfect location.

- - - Updated - - -

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._NRL_teams.png

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910