Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 21: the other games. Yes, I know it's better for our ladder position, but...

Round 21: the other games. Yes, I know it's better for our ladder position, but...

In this round, I think some of us will be torn between barracking for an outcome that should be good for our ladder position, or just continuing with habitual hatreds and long standing prejudices against certain teams. Take the Saturday twilight clash between the Bulldogs and the Dockers, for example. Obviously a Dockers loss would consolidate our spot in the top four, while a Bulldogs win is pretty well irrelevant for our ladder position. But still, I don't think I could watch another episode of free kick Bulldogs, and maintain any support for a Bulldogs win. Perhaps it might be better if I paid no attention to the game and just had a quick look at the finals score? Cop out? I don't know?

Luckily, tonight's game isn't really like that. While some might prefer a Magpies win, to give us a better chance of finishing second, I mildly prefer a Demons win. That way, any sort of a win against North, sees us move immediately to third, and there's also the fact that I'm thoroughly sick of the plucky Magpies and their winning streak. So, instead of us facing them next week, after another confidence boosting narrow win, I'd much prefer it if they limped into Sydney after a morale draining thrashing. And of course, it's been ages since we've seen any footage of a glum McGuire in the stands.

The first Saturday game is Hawks v Suns. It would be nice if the Suns kept alive their slim finals hopes.

Next we have a strong contender for irrelevance of the round: Giants v Bombers.

Then it's the aforementioned Bulldogs v Dockers.

Then Saturday night starts with the Cats hosting the Saints. I guess I'd prefer an upset here. I mean, that would give us a slim chance of catching the Cats, while there's no real chance of the Saints catching us.

The other Saturday night clash is the Power and the Tigers. I suspect that if you tried hard enough, you could manufacture a scenario on the ladder predictor, where the Power still managed to scrape into the eight. But I think that would involve both the Saints and the Tigers losing their last three games and the Bulldogs losing two. Which ain't going to happen. Which I'm sort of glad about, as I think the Power are a much better side than their ladder position suggests.

In the first Sunday game, our ball movement indoors at Marvel, should be far too slick for the hapless Kangaroos.

The next game is another example of the earlier dilemma. A Blues win should see us open up a handy gap over the Lions. But still, could I really barrack for that? And of course, there's still a chance of the Blues not actually making the eight: which I think would amuse many people.

The final game is the other contender for irrelevance of the round, the Eagles and the Crows. I mean, is there a reason to pay attention to that? If you can think of one, please let me know.

Senior Player
    DV44, yes we all feel a bit morally compromised barracking for silly teams like Collingwood and the dirty Dogs but we are at the pointy end
    of the season now, and so there should be only one criteria when it comes to "The Other Games". And that is the result mostly likely to
    help us get a home final in Week 1. Melbourne and Geelong must go down this week. We'll deal with Collingwood next week. Losses now
    will dent their confidence, and if we're going to meet them in the finals we want them full of self doubt. About themselves, their team
    mates, their game plan, about everything. We want them limping into the finals. It's not about our personal grievances against Dale
    Weightman and Eddie McGuire anymore. It's about us cruising into the GF via two SCG finals wins.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    DV44, yes we all feel a bit morally compromised barracking for silly teams like Collingwood and the dirty Dogs but we are at the pointy end
    of the season now, and so there should be only one criteria when it comes to "The Other Games". And that is the result mostly likely to
    help us get a home final in Week 1. Melbourne and Geelong must go down this week. We'll deal with Collingwood next week. Losses now
    will dent their confidence, and if we're going to meet them in the finals we want them full of self doubt. About themselves, their team
    mates, their game plan, about everything. We want them limping into the finals. It's not about our personal grievances against Dale
    Weightman and Eddie McGuire anymore. It's about us cruising into the GF via two SCG finals wins.
    Almost convinced me, but then you mentioned Weightman.

Senior Player
    You have to let it go DV44, he (Weightman) is not important. It is ALL about us, there is no one else in the room.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    I'm in the "habitual hatreds" and "long standing prejudices" corner. Cannot possibly barrack for the Pies over the Dees and hope that the Dockers put a huge dent in the Poodles' finals aspirations. Go Cats over the Saints and please, Lions, smash the Vultures!

AND GO BLOODS!!!
    Last edited by Sandridge; 5th August 2022 at 08:12 PM.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    You have to let it go DV44, he (Weightman) is not important. It is ALL about us, there is no one else in the room.
    I'd be interested to know why deja mentioned Dale Weightman. I know why I hate him and wonder if the deja's reason is the same is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    I'd be interested to know why deja mentioned Dale Weightman. I know why I hate him and wonder if the deja's reason is the same is mine.
    Well, it should be Cody Weightman; but it's the flagrant staging and the general smug git demeanour.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    I'm in the "habitual hatreds" and "long standing prejudices" corner. Cannot possibly barrack for the Pies over the Dees and hope that the Dockers put a huge dent in the Poodles' finals aspirations. Go Cats over the Saints and please, Lions, smash the Vultures!

AND GO BLOODS!!!
    +1

Go the Dees tonight. The Pies always were and always will be grubs.

I still predict the Pies to win by less than a goal

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I still predict the Pies to win by less than a goal
    Hope not. The Dees look up for the fight. A part of me wants a bit of player carnage though. Some beat up bodies might bode well for us next week.

Senior Player
    Melbourne building percentage too it seems, 68-50 is at a pace 5 points ahead of their season average.

Want it to be a tight win so we can overtake them if they lose to Brisbane.

On the veteran's list
    We’ll need to be at our very best to beat the Pies next week the way they are playing at the moment.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast