Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Sydney vs North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Can we afford learning experiences this side of the finals? Don’t get me wrong- I also think that Tom is the best we have, but only when playing well. Which unfortunately wasn’t there yesterday. Hence my question: do we rest him for 1 game and bring in the Pelican?
    No, we can't afford learning experiences this side of the finals.

The time to drop Tom McCartin would have been after the GWS game! Then he could have avoided the poor performance against North. We should have consulted the oracles.

Now that the learning experience has already been experienced, there's not much point in dropping TMac. He's already learnt his lesson and should improve for the next game. If we drop him now, we run the risk of passing on the learning experience game to his replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Apart from the bloke immediately above him on the leaderboard.
    This should be a good learning experience for Chad, not to get ahead of himself on the leaderboard.

Regular in the Side
    Mills has been fined $1000 for Wrestling Curtis Taylor during the fourth quarter.
    Last edited by Aaron; 8th August 2022 at 07:39 PM.

Yes, despite his possessions and goals, please keep him in the twos for now. Low value in the firsts.
    Totes. God forbid I wasn’t suggesting he gets picked (just yet). But I’m buoyed by the fact we’re vying for top 4 spot in the McGoos. That’s pretty impressive display of depth.

Random thoughts:

- I don’t see how dropping TMac before finals I’d going to help his confidence.
    - How could playing an undersized debutant possibly be an improvement now?
    - I’m not sure Blakey senior will be at North next year.
    - I believe Errol kicked three and earned a RS nomination after his first game, he broke out from the start.

I hope we go in unchanged against the Pies.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I can't believe the talk of dropping Tom Mc. No, it wasn't his finest game but the idea of knocking his confidence a couple of weeks before the finals, when he's still without question our best bet for the role he plays and besides . . .

One - as others have pointed out, not all of Larkey's goals were kicked on him. Two - you can attribute a few of the goals to the mids letting North waltz out of the middle, which makes it nigh on impossible for a defender. And three - Larkey is going to get a hold of plenty of defenders. What he's done in such a crap side over the past two is outstanding. I've said before, if we're going to pinch someone from North, I'd rather him than Zurhaar.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I can't believe the talk of dropping Tom Mc. No, it wasn't his finest game but the idea of knocking his confidence a couple of weeks before the finals, when he's still without question our best bet for the role he plays and besides . . .

One - as others have pointed out, not all of Larkey's goals were kicked on him. Two - you can attribute a few of the goals to the mids letting North waltz out of the middle, which makes it nigh on impossible for a defender. And three - Larkey is going to get a hold of plenty of defenders. What he's done in such a crap side over the past two is outstanding. I've said before, if we're going to pinch someone from North, I'd rather him than Zurhaar.
    Look, I don’t really want TMac dropped- of course he is the best we have. The thing is, there’s a huge gap between his best and worst, and against Norf he was all at see. Yes, he is young and inexperienced but we need him to be more consistent. Grabbing arms or jumpers is too costly and has resulted in a lot of frees given against him. He punches at times when he could mark and tries to mark when he should punch- easy for me to say from my armchair!😊

Veterans List
    Can we afford learning experiences this side of the finals? Don’t get me wrong- I also think that Tom is the best we have, but only when playing well. Which unfortunately wasn’t there yesterday. Hence my question: do we rest him for 1 game and bring in the Pelican?
    No, we back him in because he is the best we have. Sure he needs to lift his game but as pointed out earlier, he rarely plays two bad games in a row. I'm confident he'll bounce back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Mills has been fined $1000 for Wrestling Curtis Taylor during the fourth quarter.
    I hope Taylor also got fined....more than Mills.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I hope Taylor also got fined....more than Mills.
    Yes, Taylor has been fined the same.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

Agree. I would think the chances of Tom McCartin being dropped are zero. Sure, he had a few goals kicked on him. Not
    nearly enough obviously as we won by six goals and should have won by 8 or 9. We are very fortunate to have him and his
    bro in the same backline. Let's not forget Larkey's kicking was excellent, but he could have easily missed a few and ended
    up with four goals. Tom is the new Heath Grundy if you ask me.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Agree. I would think the chances of Tom McCartin being dropped are zero. Sure, he had a few goals kicked on him. Not
    nearly enough obviously as we won by six goals and should have won by 8 or 9. We are very fortunate to have him and his
    bro in the same backline. Let's not forget Larkey's kicking was excellent, but he could have easily missed a few and ended
    up with four goals. Tom is the new Heath Grundy if you ask me.
    Some of Larkey's goals were from direct, clean, centre clearances. Fix up centre clearances and those opportunities to opposition forwards diminish.

Regular in the Side
    I haven't been on this website for a while just having a quick look it looks like hopefully it's going back to normal personally I got sick of a lot of the toxic garbage that was on here I just want to say one thing Rowie in the squad for the best 22 players under 22 in the league.
    Last edited by liz; 10th August 2022 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Given the sentiments you have expressed, please don't then join in with baiting.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Some of Larkey's goals were from direct, clean, centre clearances. Fix up centre clearances and those opportunities to opposition forwards diminish.
    We love it when one of our mids streams out of the centre and delivers the ball lace out to Bud, or Papley or whoever. And there is nothing the
    opposition defenders can do except stand on the mark afterwards. Unfortunately that stuff goes both ways.