Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 22: the other games. A few mini finals and plenty of meh.

Round 22: the other games. A few mini finals and plenty of meh.

A bit of an odd round, in that there's a few high stakes matches, in amongst games that may only be of interest to fans of the clubs involved, and plenty of them have probably lost interest.

Tonight's game could be classed as an elimination final for St Kilda. Lose against Brisbane and they have next to no chance of catching Carlton or Richmond, or of even holding off the Western Bulldogs. And it's probably better for us if they do win, as it keeps Brisbane off our tails. Although, it could be argued, that since we play St Kilda next week, then it might be better for us, if we play a side demoralised by the fact that they won't be playing finals?

The first Saturday game is the Western Bulldogs hosting GWS. Unfortunately, the Bulldogs have still got a reasonable chance of making the eight, and it's hard to see their chances being dealt a cruel blow, by a GWS side that's generally been pretty woeful and who are now without their main man, Toby Greene.

The next game is Adelaide v North. Which is only really notable for the return of Ben Cunnington, who's making his return after a long and difficult battle with testicular cancer. So, a definite feel good story there. Though it would probably be more of a feel good story if he wasn't playing for North, but still, a famous upset is on the cards, and I certainly wouldn't want to take the $1.16 currently being offered on an Adelaide victory.

The twilight game is at Metricon between Gold Coast and Geelong. Here I'm already feeling a bit sorry for the Geelong fans who have travelled up for the match, thinking that they'll get a sunny Queensland escape from the Victorian weather. The forecast for the game is heavy rain and about 15 degrees. Still, don't really know if the Suns will cause further misery with an upset win, now that their finals hopes are officially gone. And the Geelong ins of Dangerfield, Selwood, Blicavs and Rohan are a pretty impressive addition to a winning side. Though I did chuckle, when I noticed that three of the Geelong outs were listed as "managed". I mean, with those ins, I think everybody realises that they're being dropped, rather than managed.

Then it's on to Melbourne v Carlton. Which is a dilemma for me. While I know that a Carlton win would be better for us, there's something quite appealing about Carlton missing the eight. And there's also the fact that Cripps is now free to play, after Carlton's highly paid legal representatives managed to convince the legal minds of the AFL Appeals Board, that an obvious bump wasn't a bump. God knows what arguments they used in the four and half hour hearing, but it's truly remarkable to me that they could manage to argue for that long. I mean, normal people would find it hard to stretch the discussion much further than;
    "So, if he was going for the ball, then wouldn't his arms have been reaching for the ball?"
    "Yeah, I suppose so."
    "Therefore, since he wasn't going for the ball, then that would make it an illegal bump, wouldn't it?

Though I suppose looking on the bright side, I wasn't in the room to suffer through their interminable arguments.

The other Saturday game looks like being a definite meh, that is, a one sided Western derby.

The first Sunday game should see Richmond consolidate their finals spot by beating Hawthorn.

Then it's what should be the match of the round, us taking on Collingwood.

Then a final meh: Port v Essendon. Where perhaps the main interest is, whoever loses, will probably claim the title as the most disappointing side of 2022.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Wonderful as always. I'm now solely in self-serving mode, so:

* go Saints
    * go Carlton (yuk, I know)
    * and go West Coast.

And, and go GWS (double yuk) just to give us a real laugh at the Bulldogs demise. And go North, just to remind The Rat what a dark existence he'll lead for the rest of his career, and I always had a soft spot for Cunnington, even before his cancer woes.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Love the way Cripps said "It was obvious I was going for the ball" Bull****! Sorry Patrick, you were not going for the ball....and it beggars belief that the tribunal swallowed this crap. Leaving the ground to bump makes it a charging offence....cannot believe he got this down from 2 weeks to nothing! The Visy brown bags must have been prominent at this hearing!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Love the way Cripps said "It was obvious I was going for the ball" Bull****! Sorry Patrick, you were not going for the ball....and it beggars belief that the tribunal swallowed this crap. Leaving the ground to bump makes it a charging offence....cannot believe he got this down from 2 weeks to nothing! The Visy brown bags must have been prominent at this hearing!
    The brown bags comment is a cheap shot and I take it you have no clue what the actual reasons for the decision were. (Nor do I. It seems they haven't actually been published yet: AFL statement on Appeals Board's decision on Patrick Cripps - note that reference is made to the reasons for the decision that "will be received in due course".)
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Agreed. It seems they talked and talked until the tribunal just gave in and reversed the decision so they could go home.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Wonderful as always. I'm now solely in self-serving mode, so:

* go Saints
    * go Carlton (yuk, I know)
    * and go West Coast.

And, and go GWS (double yuk) just to give us a real laugh at the Bulldogs demise. And go North, just to remind The Rat what a dark existence he'll lead for the rest of his career, and I always had a soft spot for Cunnington, even before his cancer woes.
    And I've always quite liked the name, Cunnington, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    Agreed. It seems they talked and talked until the tribunal just gave in and reversed the decision so they could go home.
    And they probably ran out of red wine, as well.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    I know that there are certain results that would be better for our ladder position but, over numerous decades, I've developed very strong negative feelings about a lot of Melbourne based clubs and I just can't overcome them. Therefore,

Can't stand St.Kilda - go Lions!
    Can't stand the Poodles - go Giants!
    Can't stand Norf - go Crows!
    Can't stand Carlton - go Dees!
    Can't stand Hawthorn - go Tigers
    Can't stand Essendon - go Power

Don't mind either way about Suns/Cats or Freo/Eagles.

GO THE MIGHTY BLOODS!

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    And I've always quite liked the name, Cunnington, for some reason.
    I'm surprised that it's never been blocked by the profanity filter.

Senior Player
    Whilst I can't wait to watch our match, there is sense of satisfaction with the fact that our game is late in the round, and by then, we will know whether 2nd place is in easy reach with a narrow win (if Melbourne and Brisbane both lose, or have narrow wins) or a large win (if Melbourne have a good win).

Of course I'd love for us to smash the Pies by a lot, but knowing the target before the match starts gives even extra interest in the game, whereas if we were the first match of the round, we would be waiting the rest of the weekend to know if we hold onto our spot or not.

Same next week, when we are the very last match of the regular season.

Anyway, I'm mostly about our ladder position, so with that being said, I am hoping for

- a Brisbane loss or narrow win only over the Saints, so they drop percentage and fall further behind us (assuming we win).
    - GWS win as which Swans supporter could support them after 2016?
    - North so they don't get the number 1 draft pick next year, and also watch their 1 pick from last year request a trade to go home to SA on top of that
    - Melbourne loss or narrow win, so we overtake them on the ladder before our Sunday match.
    - Hawks over Tigers in the hope the latter miss the finals.
    - Freo to win, to hopefully push Melbourne out of the top four

Suns/Cats and Bombers/Port - no interest, except maybe to see a key Geelong player injured and miss the rest of the season (but make a full recovery by the start of the next season) or suspended for several matches.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    I have no real interest in the result of the Adelaide-North match, but I hope Cunnington makes a good return to senior footy. He played OK last week against us in the magoos, and is ready despite a bit of soreness.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Go Saints so far. And Windhager is a very good young footballer.

Though King has my goalkicking skills right now.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast