Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 23, vs St Kilda at Marvel, on Sunday 14 August, 2:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Danger game!
    Yes- and so is every game! Obviously the Saints will be up for it, especially on their home turf and in front of their supporters. Do they have a sliver of a chance for the 8th spot? We need to bring our best pressure game for 4 quarters and maintain our form. King probably won’t have the yips 2 weeks in a row so could be difficult to handle.

No changes for me barring injury, though I could accept Campbell in and Clarke med sub. But most likely an unchanged side.

Go Bloods!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Yes- and so is every game! Obviously the Saints will be up for it, especially on their home turf and in front of their supporters. Do they have a sliver of a chance for the 8th spot? We need to bring our best pressure game for 4 quarters and maintain our form. King probably won’t have the yips 2 weeks in a row so could be difficult to handle.

No changes for me barring injury, though I could accept Campbell in and Clarke med sub. But most likely an unchanged side.

Go Bloods!
    St Kilda has an extremely minimal chance of making the eight and are likely to be gone by game time on Sunday. If the Bulldogs have the closest of wins earlier in the day, the Saints would need to beat us by around 130 points, to overtake them on percentage. Something similar if Carlton lose, depending on the margin of the Collingwood victory, 10 points and they'd need to beat us by around 120. Ain't gonna happen.

Seems like Buddy is less boisterous than he was at the start of the year. I reckon he just wants to put his head down and keep the focus away from him which has worked really well. I hope he continues and kicks a bag against the saints.

The storyline in the saints camp not good - review post this match, Brad hill news that he is happy to move to another club. I think Bud can kick a bag if the ball comes quickly to him as is expected.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by monopoly19 View Post
    Watching the replay Clarke did have some very useful tap ons, but some of his actual disposals were a bit ordinary. His first instinct (offensively) isn’t great, and he’s played 7 (?) games now so should have picked up the speed of the game if that were the issue. But while Harry is speedier I don’t think of him as being particularly composed with the ball either. Would be interesting to see him in the defensive forward role and whether he has the same negating effect as Clarke. Tough to drop Clarke after a perfect win record this year!
    I think Clarke is harder at the contest than Harry. Harry was tried in a forward role earlier in his career but eventually found a spot in defence. It's for the same reason that Ollie has taken his spot in defence. Harry has essentially been a defensive sweeper. I think when Harry re-signs it well be as a depth player.

- - - Updated - - -

Sides have been known to pull one out of the bag when the pressure is off.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    ...Sides have been known to pull one out of the bag when the pressure is off.
    Just look at the Bombers earlier this year.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I think Clarke is harder at the contest than Harry. Harry was tried in a forward role earlier in his career but eventually found a spot in defence. It's for the same reason that Ollie has taken his spot in defence. Harry has essentially been a defensive sweeper. I think when Harry re-signs it well be as a depth player.
    Harry has been our #1 lock down small defender in recent times. Lloyd has usually played more of the sweeper role.

When we don't have injuries, like at present, we have a large group of players to select from to fill the last few spots in the side, Clarke was a depth player until he got into the side and turned a regular into a depth player. Harry was unfortunate to get injured and now that we have a group on a winning streak, he can't get back in.

Harry Cunningham is pretty much the last player in the comp to completely shut down Shai Bolton. He’s an excellent close defender, but was struck with injury at the worst possible time for himself. Meanwhile, the fantastic Mr Fox is doing a top job, and is a better ball user. Swings and roundabouts.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Senior Player
    I think we have exceeded our expectations overall to be competing for 2nd spot, but this is indeed a danger game despite our recent form, as we have lost some games were were clearly expected to win - not just vs Essendon (as mentioned by RogueSwan), how about Port Adelaide? Very excited about the match, but also nervous!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    I think we have exceeded our expectations overall to be competing for 2nd spot, but this is indeed a danger game despite our recent form, as we have lost some games were were clearly expected to win - not just vs Essendon (as mentioned by RogueSwan), how about Port Adelaide? Very excited about the match, but also nervous!
    Yes we have lost games we were expected to win but not for quite a few weeks.
    Why is this I wonder ? Could it be that we have a settled side that are all playing to a team game plan and know what their roles are?
    Now it may be a coincidence but currently we are unbeaten when Ryan plays and to suggest we bring Harry in to replace him at this stage of the season doesn’t make much sense to me.
    Ryan has evolved from a depth player to a role player and that ( along with a couple of other changes ) is what has helped drive our recent success.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    How about Gold Coast, grrrrr

Senior Player
    It's a bit of a dumb headline, but there are some interesting and honest quotes from Rampe in this article:

The desperate Rampe run-down that proved the Swans are the real deal

Probably all of our losses have come against teams that aren’t as high up the ladder as some of the other teams that we’ve had good wins against.
    Whether that’s a maturity thing, we’re not sure, but we’ve got a pretty good base of evidence to suggest that if we go into any game thinking that we’re going to get it done, it comes back to bite us and actually kind of embarrasses us, really.

Will Gould named in extended squad.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast