Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 23: the other games. Is it that time already?

Round 23: the other games. Is it that time already?

Strangely, it seems almost surprising to me that this is the last round for the season, and for many teams, it's the end of the season. Where did the time go? And for a few players, it's the end of their careers. Most notably, Dan Hannebery and Ben McEvoy play their final games on the weekend. While other stars have already played their final games: at least one Josh Kennedy.

But instead of wallowing in nostalgia, perhaps I should gibber a bit about the games. First up, is what might be the match of the round: Brisbane hosting Melbourne. While I quite like both teams, a narrow Brisbane win would probably be better for us. That way, we won't be overtaken on percentage, if we manage to beat St Kilda, and we also have to think of our first round pick that's tied to Melbourne. And since Melbourne have a much better finals record, it would probably be best if we could avoid them early in the finals.

In contrast, the first Saturday game looks like being an one-sided affair between the soulless Giants and the finals bound Dockers. Can't really see the Giants causing an upset here, even if it might be the final game for a few of their more high profile players. I mean, 'oh, by the way, guys; I'm off to Victoria for the big bucks', is never really an inspirational message.

Next game seems a similar non-event. You'd think that North would be too focused on the number one pick, to really trouble the Suns.

Actually, both the Saturday night games appear to be fans only affairs. Maybe the Bombers will be motivated enough to cause an upset against the Tigers, and thus save Ben Rutten's coaching career: but they probably won't. Then again, maybe the alleged prospect of James Hird returning will have them motivated? While the Adelaide showdown seems pretty irrelevant. Not really talking things up, am I?

In the first Sunday game, I could probably live with a Hawks win, as that means the Bulldogs will miss the eight, and even though that means Carlton will make the eight.

Then there's the Magpies v Blues clash, which should be an extremely hard fought affair in front of a massive MCG crowd. Not sure if I really care who wins, but it should be enough of crowd spectacle to make it worth tuning in anyway. And on crowds, one thing that I've found a touch ironic about the Ginnivan scandal, is that Collingwood identities are now taking the moral high ground about crowd behaviour. Therefore, I think it's up to the Magpie army to set an example for rest of the competition. So, I don't want to hear the slightest bit of booing, any time that a free goes against them. And perhaps they can refrain from abusing opposition players every time that they take a kick for goal. And I don't know if there's any ex-Collingwood players in the Carlton side, but if there is, then maybe the crowd can get through the game without booing their every possession? And of course, if a Carlton player has flagrantly milked a free, then I expect it to be greeted with a mixture of accepting silence, and perhaps mild murmur of approval, for the skill involved in throwing yourself to the ground under pressure. So, up to you, Magpie fans.

Then finally, we take on the Saints: which should result in us both consolidating second position and giving Swans legend, Dan Hannebery, a touching send off after the siren.

Senior Player
    I think the 'Woods v Carlton could be fun.
    If for no other reason than just the excitement of seeing the MCG full of fans for the first time for a while.
    Riewoldt made the same point on (What Swans?) AFL360 last night.
    He modified his comment, saying it's gonna be freezing tho.
    Rest of panel laughed at the weather comment, as they should have.
    Fan numbers in Melb are seldom affected by weather...it's mostly awful.
    It IS a winter sport.

Veterans List
    Great preview deja.....I chuckled a lot.

Should be a fun round of footy.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    So, of the games I care about:

* Brisbane tonight please, as they represent less of a threat to us on percentage
    * West Coast to beat Geelong, just to give them some doubts heading into finals
    * Hawks to beat the Dogs, just to guarantee they miss the eight
    * Carlton to beat Pies, just in case the Dogs win (or dare I mention it, we lose).
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    ... While the Adelaide showdown seems pretty irrelevant. Not really talking things up, am I?....
    It could be a little bit spicier after Ollie Wines called the Camrys "entitled". And then Nicks has added a little more fuel to the fire https://www.afl.com.au/news/825229/s...erstepped-line
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

The main thing out of the weekend is we win, finish 2nd, and the Dogs lose. Other than that, I'm pretty neutral, although Melbourne finishing lower is definitely a bonus for us regarding the draft.
    Seriously? Essendon are re-considering James Hird?

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    So, of the games I care about:

* Brisbane tonight please, as they represent less of a threat to us on percentage
    * West Coast to beat Geelong, just to give them some doubts heading into finals
    * Hawks to beat the Dogs, just to guarantee they miss the eight
    * Carlton to beat Pies, just in case the Dogs win (or dare I mention it, we lose).
    Not interested in the last game of the round?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post

Then there's the Magpies v Blues clash, which should be an extremely hard fought affair in front of a massive MCG crowd. Not sure if I really care who wins, ...
    Blues for me as I don't want the umpires favourites getting into the finals and then hearing all that bull@@@@ about how they've done it from there before
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Thanks yet again for starting this thread deja.

Am greatly looking forward to tonight's game. 2 talented teams hell bent on getting second spot - should be a great watch!

And the two Saturday night games will be of great interest, too. We'll see if the Richmond continues its resurgence and we'll see if Essendon has grown a spine. (How the hell did they beat us??)

The two Adelaide teams have been hurling verbal abuse at each other so that game might be fun to see, too.

As has been mention in another thread - I think by liz? - it's a big shame that the Blues/Pies game clashes a bit with ours. I would've loved to have relaxed and watched Carlton and Collingwood smash each other up in front of 90,000 people but I'll be too busy biting my fingernails about our progress.

GO THE MIGHTY BLOODS!

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    The AFL website has an article on the finals permutations here: Shape of the eight: Where will your side finish?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    The AFL website has an article on the finals permutations here: Shape of the eight: Where will your side finish?
    A comprehensive summary of each team's prospects.

Scary to read that, if everything went pear-shaped for us, we could drop down to 6th! Yikes!!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I’ve got three tacos, two bottles of wine and a packet of cigarettes at hand.

Bring on the weekend of footy!!!!!
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I’ve got three tacos, two bottles of wine and a packet of cigarettes at hand.

Bring on the weekend of footy!!!!!
    Is that just for tonight?

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast