Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: AFL off-season moves - 2022 edition

I am not sure we can actually get another club to pay Papley's salary while he is still on our list.

I think we would need to trade Papley to another club if we wanted to get his salary off our books. And then give them a draft pick as well to encourage them to sign him.

I think the AFL's acceptance of "salary dumping" means they are now happy to approve 1 sided traded deals. Rather than letting clubs have a larger salary cap by trading picks to another club.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    I am not sure we can actually get another club to pay Papley's salary while he is still on our list.

I think we would need to trade Papley to another club if we wanted to get his salary off our books. And then give them a draft pick as well to encourage them to sign him.

I think the AFL's acceptance of "salary dumping" means they are now happy to approve 1 sided traded deals. Rather than letting clubs have a larger salary cap by trading picks to another club.
    Papps was pretty non-commital about his contract situation when asked about it recently on TV, but hopefully something will be negotiated over the long break.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Some interesting ideas, but no club would accept 7 and 18 for pick 1 as that is massive unders. 7 and 14 is still too far.

I recall scenarios last year were around 4 and 7 for 1?
    North are going to have to split pick 1 to get griffen Logue in . I think 7 and 18 or 14 is pretty close since pick 1 is really going to be Brisbane bound anyway and there is no clear pick 2 atm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Papps was pretty non-commital about his contract situation when asked about it recently on TV, but hopefully something will be negotiated over the long break.
    Fingers crossed we can keep him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I read an article, which I’ve been trying to find since, without success. In the article Paps said he was putting off his new contract to the end of next season.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I'd be pretty peeved if Papley left, we appear to have done pretty much everything to keep him happy - even employing Colis in the VFL as a stable pony.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I read an article, which I’ve been trying to find since, without success. In the article Paps said he was putting off his new contract to the end of next season.
    Unless you read a different piece to me, I think he said he planned to wait to the end of this year before starting talks, not end of next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Clubs seem to be putting up negligible resistance to player requests to be traded. Contract or no contract, it hardly seems to matter. Free agency is all but a joke now. Clubs are just accepting that their player gets to his destination and they will get the best deal they can. That's it.

This situation is extremely detrimental to non-Victorian clubs, especially GWS and GC. Lucky that the Swans have cultivated a destination club environment and a good alternative to get out of pressure cooker towns.

I reiterate that the AFL have to do something about this. The inequities are growing too large.
    Yes, it’s a concern. Especially since caps seem to be a farce these days. The brown-baggers are back in force and it’ll be the death of expansion clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Very true. I think it's notable that there is coverage in the papers today suggesting if Logue leaves, Freo won't let Lobb leave. We'll see if it is posturing or for real, but it suggests they know losing too many talls at once leaves their list unbalanced. I personally think Lobb is overrated and a mercenary who's been amazingly overpaid during his career, but would love to see the Dogs denied a preferred target. So, go Freo.
    Freo better off without him. Make them pay overs and get what you can get. Overrated mercenary is spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Unless you read a different piece to me, I think he said he planned to wait to the end of this year before starting talks, not end of next season.
    That’s why I’ve been trying to find the article!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Your recollection is the more accurate.

Veteran Site Admin
    It’s on the AFL site as part of an article headlined by the Suns looking to give away pick 7 with Bowes. Can’t do links on my phone.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast