Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: Prelim Final: Swans vs Collingwood 4.45pm Sat 17 September SCG

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Gil on SEN this morning said no music after goals for the GF.
    Good news.....but he should have said 'at any game.....ever.'

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I confess I barely noticed it. Normally it irks me as much as the next person but I guess I must have been too tense. I did take notice of that splendid lime green performance of the National Anthem and the Diamond Anthem.
    I was at the Geelong Preliminary final at the MCG on Friday night, not the Swans game. It's the first time I've heard the music that loud there.

The singer was Hugh Sheridan. He is an actor/musical theatre performer.

I was concerned to hear Gill say that music works in the northern states. BS it does Gill. Get rid of it everywhere!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I was concerned to hear Gill say that music works in the northern states. BS it does Gill. Get rid of it everywhere!!
    Did he really have the nerve to say that ?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Did he really have the nerve to say that ?
    Yes. He reckons it's wrong for the conservative city of Melbourne but "really adds to the vibe" (paraphrase rather than exact quote) in a place like Sydney. He specifically referenced Sweet Caroline and how this has become a part of the Swans match day experience.

I personally hate SC, and would love it if I never heard it again at the footy, but that's completely separate to the playing of songs after goals.

Yes. He reckons it's wrong for the conservative city of Melbourne but "really adds to the vibe" (paraphrase rather than exact quote) in a place like Sydney. He specifically referenced Sweet Caroline and how this has become a part of the Swans match day experience.

I personally hate SC, and would love it if I never heard it again at the footy, but that's completely separate to the playing of songs after goals.
    He’s getting a letter from me today.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I suspect that his thoughts can be translated as something like: he became aware of a media storm about playing ear-splitting music at the MCG, therefore, rather than spending grand final week trying to justify pissing off so many fans, he decided to can the music. However, since the same media storm didn't appear to have been generated in the northern states, he was able to convince himself that the misguided marketing move was a great success; despite almost certainly receiving a large number of complaints, through match day experience surveys and letters to the clubs.

Exactly! SC is played during quarter time. Who cares what they do/play then. Totally different to during the game after a goal.

It's a disgrace he even made the SC comparison, shows he knows nothing!

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Exactly! SC is played during quarter time. Who cares what they do/play then. Totally different to during the game after a goal.

It's a disgrace he even made the SC comparison, shows he knows nothing!
    The SCG "match day experience" is the reason I no longer experience match day at the SCG.
    I'd prefer to be at the game, but these marketing genius' have achieved what none of the dark years ever did - they've stopped me going.
    As has been noted by others, I'm not the demographic they are aiming for, but at some point it'd be nice if the Swans/AFL/SCG finally noticed that they are shedding some rusted on supporters, in their drive to attract fair weather friends.

Senior Player
    Yes. He reckons it's wrong for the conservative city of Melbourne but "really adds to the vibe" (paraphrase rather than exact quote) in a place like Sydney.
    Strange that Jonathan Horn wrote something similar here:

Blue-collar Swans worthy victors over brave Magpies in yet another AFL classic

They play music at the SCG too. But it works there. It suits the market. It suits the ground. Going to the football at the SCG is more of an event than a ritual.
    I wonder if this is some "Melbourne thing" that the media there have started saying, and everyone has started believing, in the absence of any evidence. There were certainly plenty of Twitter replies to the Guardian and the journalist, pointing out that his take on SCG music was wrong.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Strange that Jonathan Horn wrote something similar here:

Blue-collar Swans worthy victors over brave Magpies in yet another AFL classic

I wonder if this is some "Melbourne thing" that the media there have started saying, and everyone has started believing, in the absence of any evidence. There were certainly plenty of Twitter replies to the Guardian and the journalist, pointing out that his take on SCG music was wrong.
    The thing is it's not just a Northern clubs thing. They play music after goals in Perth and Adelaide and shock horror in Geelong too. Last week was the first time I've ever experienced it at the MCG.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324