Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Match thread: Prelim final; Swans v Magpies.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Well if we had kept Clarke in the team instead of omitting him, we would have won that one. We haven't lost a game where he has played (as opposed to the games he 'played' while being the sub and not coming on). However some may say it's a case of sliding doors if he had played, it might not have been the catalyst for our run since then.
    Clarke has been ok since coming in. Didn’t think much of him last couple of seasons but he has obviously worked on his game and so deserves credit. Certainly prefer him to Bell and Wicks, who at this stage are only good VFL level and shouldn’t get a game in the 1st team until they show significant improvement.

Hope Sammy can get fit but otherwise it’s a toss up between our 2 talls. Logan should defo stay in with Campbell sub.

Coaches votes for the game.

8 Jack Crisp (COLL)
    8 Callum Mills (SYD)
    5 Luke Parker (SYD)
    3 Tom Papley (SYD)
    3 Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
    2 Darcy Moore (COLL)
    1 Lance Franklin (SYD)

Bit surprised that Errol didn't get a few votes, since Channel 7 gave him their MVP award. Then again, despite his excellent last quarter, I was a bit surprised that they did that.

- - - Updated - - -

And this is the leader board for the Ayres medal. Parker and Mills can still win it.

16 Jack Crisp (COLL)
    15 Jordan De Goey (COLL)
    15 Lachie Neale (BL)
    13 Luke Parker (SYD)
    12 Caleb Serong (FRE)
    11 Callum Mills (SYD)
    11 Darcy Moore (COLL)
    11 Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
    10 Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
    10 Steven May (MELB)

Veterans List
    Looked at the replay for a second time. Pies supporters can't complain about the umpires. Jack Crisp got caught 5 times and wasn't pinged once. In the last minute he ran across the back of the square, got tackled and threw the ball away one handed. Yet JR got pinged when he had the ball for a nano second. Still can't see why Jmac had that mark taken off him. By the way he found form in a big way.

Also loved the way Braeden Campbell had a red hot go.

Also on SEN today they said we shut up shop in the last quarter. I don't agree. We had our chances to seal it and looked to always move the ball forward. May be the last couple of minutes we did. A couple of crucial errors let them in. Gulden's hooked kick to Quaynor and Heeney's brain fade after he took a mark. He didn't need to play on quickly and slipped over.
    Last edited by Nico; 19th September 2022 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Looked at the replay for a second time. Pies supporters can't complain about the umpires. Jack Crisp got caught 5 times and wasn't pinged once. In the last minute he ran across the back of the square, got tackled and threw the ball away one handed. Yet JR got pinged when he had the ball for a nano second. Still can't see why Jmac had that mark taken off him. By the way he found form in a big way.

Also on SEN today they said we shut up shop in the last quarter. I don't agree. We had our chances to seal it and looked to always move the ball forward. May be the last couple of minutes we did. A couple of crucial errors let them in. Gulden's hooked kick to Quaynor and Heeney's brain fade after he took a mark. He didn't need to play on quickly and slipped over.
    I'm trying to find a replay of this. Can you remind me when it occurred in the game?

In regards to the free against McInerney: you more or less have to slow the vision down to see it, but his hand tralis along the Collingwood player's shoulder and makes glancing contact to the neck. So I assume that it was for high contact. Absolutely minimal force, and nothing like the unpunished mauling that Buddy copped pretty well every time he went near the ball. The blocking, the grabbing, the front on contact and the genuine whacks to the head.

Veteran Site Admin
    Looked at the replay for a second time. Pies supporters can't complain about the umpires. Jack Crisp got caught 5 times and wasn't pinged once. In the last minute he ran across the back of the square, got tackled and threw the ball away one handed. Yet JR got pinged when he had the ball for a nano second.
    Heeney got a couple of blatant pushes out of a marking contest (one I can particularly remember against Murphy) that weren't penalised. Looked more clearly a push-out than Papley's, who could have been seen (and was seen, by the umpires) to be holding his ground.

Compare the mark paid to Mihocek for one of their late goals to the non-mark not paid to Buddy about five minutes earlier. Bud had control for far longer than Mihocek.

And Buddy should probably have had three free kicks to him in the first quarter.

We did have some calls that went in our favour, but the Pies had plenty too.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    In regards to the free against McInerney: you more or less have to slow the vision down to see it, but his hand tralis along the Collingwood player's shoulder and makes glancing contact to the neck. So I assume that it was for high contact. Absolutely minimal force, and nothing like the unpunished mauling that Buddy copped pretty well every time he went near the ball. The blocking, the grabbing, the front on contact and the genuine whacks to the head.

When was the incident?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    ...... Papley(‘s,) who could have been seen (and was seen, by the umpires) to be holding his ground......

I’m so fed up with the ignorance of commentators, professional and amateur, who clearly don’t understand the 2019 significant rule change re hands in back.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Coaches votes for the game.

8 Jack Crisp (COLL)
    8 Callum Mills (SYD)
    5 Luke Parker (SYD)
    3 Tom Papley (SYD)
    3 Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
    2 Darcy Moore (COLL)
    1 Lance Franklin (SYD)

Bit surprised that Errol didn't get a few votes, since Channel 7 gave him their MVP award. Then again, despite his excellent last quarter, I was a bit surprised that they did that.

- - - Updated - - -

And this is the leader board for the Ayres medal. Parker and Mills can still win it.

16 Jack Crisp (COLL)
    15 Jordan De Goey (COLL)
    15 Lachie Neale (BL)
    13 Luke Parker (SYD)
    12 Caleb Serong (FRE)
    11 Callum Mills (SYD)
    11 Darcy Moore (COLL)
    11 Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
    10 Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
    10 Steven May (MELB)
    I wonder which coach gave Parker 5.

I'm guessing this was John's:

5 - Parker
    4 - Mills
    3 - Crisp
    2 - Pendlebury
    1 - Buddy

Which leaves McRae:

5 - Crisp
    4 - Mills
    3 - Papley
    2 - Moore
    1 - Pendlebury

Rule changes don’t count / are wrong if they negatively impact big Melbourne clubs. I’m just glad we don’t have to listen to the former Pies president anymore.

Senior Player

Braeden was good. Although there was a moment moving forward in the last when he handballed to Buddy under pressure out of instinctive deference rather than using his prodigious boot to fire it deep inside 50. A learning experience.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Braeden was good. Although there was a moment moving forward in the last when he handballed to Buddy under pressure out of instinctive deference rather than using his prodigious boot to fire it deep inside 50. A learning experience.
    I screamed at him at that moment too!

(But some of the fault was with Bud calling for the ball rather than directing Campbell to kick it long, or even have a shot on goal. )