Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Final - Saturday 24 September, 2:30 PM at MCG

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Won’t happen, but would love it if Goodes was offered and agreed to do so.
    Yes that was my first thought as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Then I do disagree with King. I think a faster game suits or game style. If we try a controlled possession game, eventually we will be forced to kick long, which will be to Geelong's advantage.

Maybe Clarke will play on Tom Stewart. Perhaps Clarke can keep him from being free enough to take those uncontested marks he always seems to pile up.
    I think I wrote in the other games thread that I thought Brisbane were playing dumb football. Totally predictable in attack, where they seemed to spend most of the game, sending dump kicks straight to Geelong defenders.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    I don’t mind Cunningham coming in to defend on Stengle, he is very dangerous.
    You don't think Rampe, Fox, Florent and Lloyd have been taking care of small forwards recently?

I wouldn't lose any sleep over Cunningham being in the team - he's a solid, dependable player at worst - but I don't see the coaches voluntarily breaking up the defensive team at this stage of the season, and not for a player who has had no exposure to AFL pressure for the second half of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by monopoly19 View Post
    Would much rather Cunningham than Campbell, who’s a bit deer in headlights. Tries hard and will be great one day, but not composed enough yet (to be fair, I don’t think he’s been given the opportunity to figure it out yet).
    I thought Campbell had a pretty decent game, and showed he's getting close to becoming an automatic inclusion in the team (along with another 23 or 24 players, which is the issue). It was his kick that was marked by Papley for our final goal. Not many of our side can kick with that speed and penetration. Against an aerially dominant team (another one) like Geelong, bringing the ball in quickly, with pace and power, could make all the difference.

I'm not advocating for him to push someone else out of the side, but I think he makes a pretty good sub. He can have an impact, if needed, with just two or three telling possessions, plus he has the flexibility (ie has some AFL experience) across half-back, along the wings, or at half-forward.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Compared to Melbourne (Lever and May), and Collingwood (Moore and Howe), Geelong is comparitively weak in the defensive intercept marking department. We just need to put a very hard defensive tag on Stewart.

Our defense is perfectly matched against their forward line with McCartin twin towers and Rampe. Our ruckman will dominate, and we have a stronger midfield (They may have by reputation, but its seriously slowing down).
    Agree Barry. The 2017 final when Stewart almost single-handedly cut the Swans to pieces still gives me nightmares. I am not sure that Clarke is equipped to do the job. Maybe McLean?

Can anyone open the Lance Franklin statement he’s released via the Swans?

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    He’s signed for one more year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    What we could do if Reid doesn't come up is leave Campbell in the 22 and replace McDonald with Amartey, with McDonald as the sub.

I don't think we need to have 3 tall forwards against Geelong, who will just suck up everything that comes into their defence through the air. Amartey can back up in the ruck. McDonald will get a medal, even if not substituted in, although I would think both subs will get to play in a GF, just to replace a tiring player.

If a smaller man gets injured, McDonald coming in would just get us back to our usual structure.
    Must say that this thought had also crossed my mind.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Signed for another year.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I would love Paul Kelly to present the cup if we win
    Didn't he present it in 2005?

Quote Originally Posted by AppleCore View Post
    Agree Barry. The 2017 final when Stewart almost single-handedly cut the Swans to pieces still gives me nightmares. I am not sure that Clarke is equipped to do the job. Maybe McLean?
    Logan McDonald?

I think Reid will play.

Notwithstanding Liz' valid reservations about playing Harry Cunningham due to a lack of AFL level playing time in the past few months, I would consider the following plan to replace an injured Reid:

• Name an unchanged side, with Cunningham in the emergencies.
    • Before the game, Reid pulls out and is replaced by Cunningham.
    • Cunningham plays in defence against Stengle.
    • Robbie Fox replaces Reid in the forward line with the role of locking down on Tom Stewart.
    • Fox and Buddy can relieve Hickey in the ruck when needed.
    • Name Amartey as the sub, just in case Hickey or a tall forward is injured.

Geelong would be taken by surprise and would shake up their plans for the game.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    It may not have come through on the telecast, but it seemed Logan was very much playing his role even if he didn't get a lot of touches. He ran himself into the ground in the second half creating space and providing a marking option.

We have to pick the best team to win the game on Saturday, but I imagine it would be devastating to drop a young guy who has played 17/24 games and the last 5 straight.
    Exactly. McDonald's hard running and ability to take strong contested marks up the wings will be particularly valued in Reid's absence.

Here are Amartey and McLean's stats for the year side by side: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid2=S&type=A.

Pretty even. Supports what we'd all expect: McLean brings more goal threat inside 50 and Amartey is more mobile around stoppages as a back--up in the ruck.

I've been vacillating on this since Saturday night. I would back McLean to kick a goal next Saturday, but doubt Amartey would. But can imagine his lack of mobility around the stoppages being keenly felt.

It might depend on whose weaknesses the coaches feel they can best address/cover.

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast