Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brownlow night 2022

Veterans List
    I didn't start watching the telecast until 10pm, so this morning I checked the paper to see who received votes in the earlier rounds. According to the Herald Sun, Grundy came out of retirement in Round 4 against North and he received 1 vote!

I think they did a copy and paste from the game above where Collingwood's Grundy received 1 vote and then forgot to change the name.

The Front Bar just showed an amusing snippet from Brownlow night. In response to Gil mispronouncing Christian Petracca's name as Pe-track-a, Christian could be clearly lip-read as saying "Pe-trar-ca FFS!"

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    The Front Bar just showed an amusing snippet from Brownlow night. In response to Gil mispronouncing Christian Petracca's name as Pe-track-a, Christian could be clearly lip-read as saying "Pe-trar-ca FFS!"
    Which is strange because Pe-track-a is actually closer to the right pronunciation (in Italian) than Pe-trar-ca is. Petracca's name is not Petrarca (the name second most famous Italian literary figure, after Dante Alighieri).

There are other Italian names that are butchered much worse e.g. Fantasia (Fan-tay-zhia vs Fan-ta-see-ah), Deledio (Dell-EE-dee-oh vs Del-eh-dio) and Ricciuto (Rish-oo-toe v Ri-chu-to).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12