Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Hawthorn racism review

Senior Player
    ABC News have released a carefully-worded statement. Notably, they point out that Hawthorn were repeatedly offered chances to give their side of the story and chose not to respond.

ABC statement on Russell Jackson’s reporting on the Hawthorn FC allegations

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    ABC News have released a carefully-worded statement. Notably, they point out that Hawthorn were repeatedly offered chances to give their side of the story and chose not to respond.

ABC statement on Russell Jackson’s reporting on the Hawthorn FC allegations
    More importantly, the three respondents were offered the chance to tell their side. A fact the three have made big a hullabaloo about the opposite being true. If that is the case, they were given more than enough opportunity to reply and refused to, then all this AFL media about them being denied due process may be bull.

If they refund to reply to the ABC then their legal representatives may have refused to let them appear before the panel under hoe conditions. Who knows. The whole thing is a dreadful mess.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    More importantly, the three respondents were offered the chance to tell their side. A fact the three have made big a hullabaloo about the opposite being true. If that is the case, they were given more than enough opportunity to reply and refused to, then all this AFL media about them being denied due process may be bull.

If they refund to reply to the ABC then their legal representatives may have refused to let them appear before the panel under hoe conditions. Who knows. The whole thing is a dreadful mess.

You do understand the difference between not replying to an ABC journalist after the fact for the purposes of his news report, and not being provided with the opportunity to be interviewed as part of the process in the first place?

Senior Player
    Former Hawks staffer says he 'overstepped the mark' in incident with First Nations player, but has nothing to apologise for

Burt admits to some elements of the allegations, eg that he, Clarkson and Fagan went to the home of the player with a pregnant parter to declare the relationship was over.

He claims the message to the pregnant partner came from the player, but the player and his then partner claim it was Clarkson.

Burt admits that the meeting was inappropriate and heavy handed (four blokes going to tell a young pregnant woman her relationship is over is totally effed up).

There are two sides to every story, but it is interesting how Burt has made some concessions but Clarkson and Fagan have denied all elements.

Veteran Site Admin
    ABC television news has just reported that some of the individuals/families involved in the Hawthorn report have named themselves in an open letter, and stated their intention of making a claim to the Human Rights Commission. It was described as "just breaking news" and there's nothing yet up on the ABC News website, but I imagine it will appear soon.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Here’s their statement.

This fits my instincts for what happened with the AFL process.

In typical fashion, they made it an overtly legalistic process, designed to be a schemozzle, where no one could agree to anything and prevent any findings being made. And in doing so they achieved the AFL’s primary goal - immune themselves from risk.

There will be Hawks fans tempted to dismiss these people as nobody rookies. But Cyril has attached his name to it, so good luck with that.

Cyril Rioli and group of former Hawks issue open letter regarding Hawthorn racism investigation
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    You do understand the difference between not replying to an ABC journalist after the fact for the purposes of his news report, and not being provided with the opportunity to be interviewed as part of the process in the first place?
    This +many.

Having worked in this domain for a very long time, I can tell you for a fact that responding to what a journalist chooses to tell you after the event and responding to proper allegations as part of an investigation are absolutely not the same thing. Anyone who equates those two things demonstrates a profound ignorance of both law and media.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Here’s their statement.

This fits my instincts for what happened with the AFL process.

In typical fashion, they made it an overtly legalistic process, designed to be a schemozzle, where no one could agree to anything and prevent any findings being made. And in doing so they achieved the AFL’s primary goal - immune themselves from risk.

There will be Hawks fans tempted to dismiss these people as nobody rookies. But Cyril has attached his name to it, so good luck with that.

Cyril Rioli and group of former Hawks issue open letter regarding Hawthorn racism investigation
    Yep. And there's the problem. There's this thing called the confirmation bias.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Yep. And there's the problem. There's this thing called the confirmation bias.
    ....and it works both ways. From what angle are you viewing all this? I'm curious.

Veterans List
    As much as the AFL wanted to sweep this under the carpet and make it go away.....it isn't and won't. This evenings open letter is damning.

They have again shot themselves in the foot....they are really good at doing that. They are an arrogant but ultimately very incompetent (white) boys club, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    This +many.

Having worked in this domain for a very long time, I can tell you for a fact that responding to what a journalist chooses to tell you after the event and responding to proper allegations as part of an investigation are absolutely not the same thing. Anyone who equates those two things demonstrates a profound ignorance of both law and media.
    All parties were given the opportunity to participate in proceedings. The Hawthorn Review did not expect to be a party to allegations but they were.​ When this happened the investigation was basically halted as they were uncertain how to proceed. Plus they had no power to actually investigate such allegations.

So, basically this report was sent to the AFL, who have denied any knowledge but of course we know that is not true because of emails between the AFL & Hawthorn.