Thread: AFLW Round 6: Sydney Swans v North Melbourne 5.10pm AEDT Sun 2 Oct 2022 Swinburne Centre

AFLW Round 6: Sydney Swans v North Melbourne 5.10pm AEDT Sun 2 Oct 2022 Swinburne Centre

Another tough match tomorrow for our new Swans as our winless AFLW team play seventh-placed North Melbourne, the previous club of our coach Scott Gowans.

This match follows a heart-breaking loss last week to Hawthorn, when the Swans got away to a strong start only to be mowed down in a four-points loss at the end.

Three Swans players featured in the coaches’ votes from that match: Cynthia Hamilton, Brooke Lochland and Montana Ham. For Ham this followed her AFLW Rising Star nominee in Round 4, her first match on return from a knee injury.

Scott Gowans in his press conference this week said there were many positives to take from the Hawthorn match. However there was a need for the Swans to clamp down on careless free kicks, with the message that our women need to “keep aggression and intensity but do it a bit more sensibly”.

With back-to-back matches against Victorian clubs, the Swans have stayed in Melbourne this week, the first time they have had a real chance for team bonding given their very short pre-season. Gowans described this as a very rewarding experience for the group.

The match has been moved to the Swinburne Centre due to the poor condition of the Arden Street playing surface following wet weather and previous use. Tickets already purchased can still be used or alternatively refunds will be available.

The game will be broadcast LIVE on Channel 7 and 7mate, FOX FOOTY and Kayo.
    Last edited by Meg; 1st October 2022 at 05:59 PM.

Teams now announced. Kiara Beesley and Ruby Sargent-Wilson will both debut for the Swans.

SYDNEY

B: Bella Smith 11 Molly Eastman 9
    HB: Ella Heads 12 Montana Ham 18 Genevieve Lawson-Tavan 24
    C: Brenna Tarrant 20 Ruby Sargent-Wilson 6 Paige Sheppard 4
    HF: Sofia Hurley 25 Cynthia Hamilton 10 Maddy Collier 14
    F: Kiara Beesley 26 Aliesha Newman 16
    Foll: Alexia Hamilton 30 Brooke Lochland 1 Sarah Dargan 5
    I/C: Bridie Kennedy 2 Lauren Szigeti 28 Lisa Steane 21 Alana Woodward 13 Sarah Skinner 15

Emerg: Sarah Ford 3 Ally Morphett 7 Zoe Hurrell 17

In: Ruby Sargent-Wilson, Kiara Beesley, Aliesha Newman
    Out: Aimee Whelan (injured), Rebecca Privitelli (HS protocol), Ally Morphett (omitted)

NORTH MELBOURNE

B: E.O'Shea 14 S.Wright 17
    HB: N.Bresnehan 12 E.Kearney - C 9 J.Ferguson 20
    C: A.Smith 15 J.Garner 25 T.Craven 5
    HF: I.Eddey 3 V.Wall 13 A.O'Loughlin 6
    F: T.Randall 16 E.King 60
    Foll: K.Rennie 26 J.Bruton 35 M.King 23
    I/C: Z.Savarirayan 4 S.Abbatangelo 1 T.Gatt 8 A.Riddell 7 B.Brown 36

Emerg: G.Matser 29 H.Bowey 18 D.Hardiman 31

In: Z.Savarirayan
    Out: S.McCarthy (omitted)

Veterans List
    I wonder if the Health and Safety protocols will change after October 14 as isolation is no longer required?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I wonder if the Health and Safety protocols will change after October 14 as isolation is no longer required?
    I wondered the same thing as I entered the above. Logically yes, though in practice ..... ?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

This match follows a heart-breaking loss last week to Hawthorn, when the Swans got away to a strong start only to be mowed down in a four-points loss at the end.
    I went along to Punt Road last Friday night to watch that game. Fortunately I had worked out how to redeem a ticket before I left Sydney, because the game sold out sometime on Friday afternoon. Despite the loss, it was encouraging to see a vocal, passionate crowd, and one dominated in colour and voice by Sydney fans, despite being played in Melbourne heartland. I guess a fair few were travelers like myself who happened to find themselves in Melbourne that weekend for some reason.

I agree with Gowans's assessment that free kicks were an issue - and have been in the rest of the games I've seen our team play this year. The poor execution of a tackle is one thing, but the number of 50m penalties the team has conceded suggests a need for better discipline and/or understanding of the rules.

Fitness is also playing its role, though that is something that can only be addressed by more time with the women and another pre-season or two. It was noticeable how, as the game went on, Hawks players increasing found themselves in oodles of space and the Swans didn't have the legs to close them down.

On the positive side, the ability to target and hit up team mates was much improved on the last game I watched (the Giants game. I didn't catch the thrashing at the hands of Port). But there is a large variation in skill level across the team, meaning that passages of play tend to break down. Despite not kicking a goal after the opening four goal salvo, the Swans did have plenty of opportunities, and right at the end were pressing hard for that goal that would take back the lead. Cynthia Hamilton hit the post in what was probably our best final quarter chance, having done the same with a shot earlier in the game.

But maybe the biggest chance that went to waste was Ham running on her own through the 50m arc towards goal with no defender close by, only to try and bounce the ball and find that it didn't come back to her. With a bit more composure she might have realised she still had enough time and space to pick the ball up and keep running towards goal, but instead she hacked it off the ground.

I do think Ham and Cynthia Hamilton are very exciting when you consider how young both are, and will hopefully form the nucleus of the team for the next few seasons ahead. Big sister Lexie was also impressive against Hawthorn in the ruck - more mobile and skillful than Morphett - and I see Gowans has decided to go with her as the main ruck this week.

Veterans List
    The ball spends too much time in the opposition forward line.

Our best chance to score a goal was when Hamilton marked, but she handballed to Ham instead of having the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    The ball spends too much time in the opposition forward line.
    Lol suffering some PTSD from last week, Mel?

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    I don't expect to win any games this year. However, I am not discouraged because it's the future that matters. I know we will do better next year with a solid pre-season instead of a short one.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veteran Site Admin
    Loved some of Montana Ham's work, especially around clearances. And a promising debut from Ruby Sargent-Wilson.

I also loved the bits of the three-quarter time interval talk we heard that Gowans was giving the Swans women. They were being smashed on the scoreboard (and it was even worse at the end) but he was focusing on all the positive things they were achieving.

I’m impressed by Gowans, he seems like the right person to nurture a very inexperienced group.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I also loved the bits of the three-quarter time interval talk we heard that Gowans was giving the Swans women. They were being smashed on the scoreboard (and it was even worse at the end) but he was focusing on all the positive things they were achieving.

I’m impressed by Gowans, he seems like the right person to nurture a very inexperienced group.
    And how enthusiastic and upbeat were the women in response to him!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    And how enthusiastic and upbeat were the women in response to him!