Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Longmire re-signs for two more years

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

Longmire re-signs for two more years

'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Given we made the GF last year, he deserves it. We are still a work in progress and a couple of pieces are not quite there, so I’m sure he and the coaching staff think we can improve. We want to play exciting footie.

Whatever happens, I’m happy as long as we are always competitive and of course win our fair share of games- which means not losing to so called “weaker “ teams.

Veterans List
    Yes, great news. He's a gun coach and a great human.

On the Rookie List
    Sorry but I have the opposite opinion, Longmire is 1 from 4. You can say 2012 was still a Paul Roos team, 2014 we got belted, 2016 we can say we got robbed,2022 we got flogged. The two belting's, I would put down to poor coaching, not getting his team mentally prepared for the on coming onslaught from the opposition on the big day. He might be a great human being but when you're in the business of winning premierships which is the main purpose, I think Horse has failed.
    I really think a change at the top is needed. Too me, the club has made a poor decision.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodz&guts View Post
    Sorry but I have the opposite opinion, Longmire is 1 from 4. You can say 2012 was still a Paul Roos team, 2014 we got belted, 2016 we can say we got robbed,2022 we got flogged. The two belting's, I would put down to poor coaching, not getting his team mentally prepared for the on coming onslaught from the opposition on the big day. He might be a great human being but when you're in the business of winning premierships which is the main purpose, I think Horse has failed.
    I really think a change at the top is needed. Too me, the club has made a poor decision.
    You're entitled to your opinion. I'll leave it there.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion. I'll leave it there.
    Regardless of whether you agree with it, you have to appreciate that it was enough to get bloodz&guts to add a 13th post in 18 years. So welcome back b&g
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Regardless of whether you agree with it, you have to appreciate that it was enough to get bloodz&guts to add a 13th post in 18 years. So welcome back b&g
    Still nonsense though.

On the Rookie List
    I suppose I don't comment here that much is because of the echo chamber that prevails here, obviously if you have a different opinion from the rest , you are not welcome. This is a footy blog , not a community sing along were we all sing from the same song sheet. A coach who has a 1 win and 3 losses is not doing the job. Something is missing , is it a lack of killer instinct or is it a close enough is good enough attitude? If people are happy with that , well good for them, but we will end up with the same reputation as the Colliwobbles, we choke on the big day
    Agree that Longmire is a good bloke, but isn't it time for a change? Some new blood might be the way to go.

I suppose I don't comment here that much is because of the echo chamber that prevails here, obviously if you have a different opinion from the rest , you are not welcome. This is a footy blog , not a community sing along were we all sing from the same song sheet. A coach who has a 1 win and 3 losses is not doing the job. Something is missing , is it a lack of killer instinct or is it a close enough is good enough attitude? If people are happy with that , well good for them, but we will end up with the same reputation as the Colliwobbles, we choke on the big day
    Agree that Longmire is a good bloke, but isn't it time for a change? Some new blood might be the way to go.
    No.

Veterans List
    I remember a post game interview with Tom Hickey who has been at four clubs and had about eight senior coaches. The interviewer asked about Longmire, Hickey's reply was "he's an awesome coach"

I'll take Tom's opinion as he'd know a heap more than anyone on here. Also trust the opinion of the other Tom - Harley in this decision.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I suppose I don't comment here that much is because of the echo chamber that prevails here, obviously if you have a different opinion from the rest , you are not welcome.
    Yes, RWO can get a bit like that, there are some who get defensive when you don't spout the company line. However the "if you hold that opinion you're not a proper Swan supporter" BS seems to be thing of the past - thank goodness.

I think RWO needs more active members, more active members will result in a greater diversity of opinion - in itself a good thing.
    So don't be discouraged, roll your sleeves up and have your say!

It's unlikely that everyone on RWO will disagree with any arguement you post, but it's also unlikely that everyone on RWO will agree with any arguement you post. Unfortunately those that disagree are more likely to reply these days - but don't let that discourage you.

As regards Horse, I can't imagine the man himself is pleased to have a 25% Grand Final success rate. And if he was coaching a Melbourne team that would be mentioned in evey story that mentioned him by name. FWIW I don't think we could have won last years granny, but I do think these kids have at least one flag in them - and I think Horse is well respected by them. So by all means we should refresh the support around him (ie Don Pyke).
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Despite disappointment of not winning any flags with Buddy, most clubs would still envy our record over the time Horse has been coach, with the exceptions being Richmond and the Hawks who have won more premierships.

I don’t think any other team has made four grand finals in the last 11 years.

That puts him in elite territory, arguably third best coach over the last decade, behind Clarkson and Hardwick.

Now imagine a level playing field and no trade ban, no COLA reduction (or requirement in the first place) and also more finals (including grand final) in NSW and at the SCG (instead of being forced to play at ANZ Stadium where Fitzpatrick had a financial interest). That may have us 2-2 or or 3-1 and also making 1-2 more grand finals on top of that.

Also 2014 was tough as Buddy was whacked in the head in the first quarter with no call and then rolled his ankle not long after. And 2016 was decided by the umpires with their vastly uneven umpiring that ended up ruining Hannebery’s career (with the Bulldogs given free licence to play rough) and setting us back in 2017.

I think it is a remarkable record if you look beyond just the 1-3 stat.

Certainly some stuff is frustrating, such as the team selection at times (leaving out Campbell for Bell/Wicks, sticking Mills in defence for so long, Reid for grand final) and some horrible losses against lower sides on paper.

But overall, I think he has done a great job.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast