Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFLW Sydney Swans End of Season 2022 Wrap-Up

AFLW Sydney Swans End of Season 2022 Wrap-Up

Three teenagers, each in their AFLW debut year, dominated in the Swans AFLW Best & Fairest award: Cynthia Hamilton the winner, Montana Ham and Sofia Hurley. All three were also Rising Star nominees during the year, so very positive for our future.

Montana Ham also won the Player’s Player Award, while Alana Woodward was recognised as the Best Club Person.

Sydney Swans AFLW Club Champion 2022 – Top Votes

Cynthia Hamilton 81 (maximum 20 votes for Round 10 v Geelong)
    Montana Ham 71 (maximum 20 votes for Round 4 v Port Adelaide)
    Sofia Hurley 62 (maximum 20 votes for Round 8 vs Essendon)
    Brooke Lochland 42
    Ella Heads 38
    Lauren Szigeti 33
    Molly Eastman 31
    Paige Sheppard 31
    Lisa Steane 30

The Sydney Swans four AFLW coaches vote 5,4,3,2,1 at the completion of each game. The maximum amount of votes a player can receive each game is 20 votes.

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/...-club-champion

Scott Gowans has provided a positive review of the season at:

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video...-season-review

Veterans List
    Thanks for the summary Meg

Thought Ella Heads would be up there for club champion. Obviously a bit of a hard ask being a club champion as a defender but thought she was one of our most consistent and impressive

I think that is a really outstanding result for Ella Heads!

None of those names are surprising, having seen the season but it's impressive to see not only Heads but also Eastman and Sheppard in the top 10. I couldn't have predicted any of them before the season (not that I had heard of any of them - but just based on what I read about their experience etc.).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Congratulations to Swans Academy members Olivia Morris and Marnie Robinson who have been selected in the AFL Academy for 2023. Hopefully we'll get to see them in senior Swans uniforms at the end of 2023.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Story in Zero Hanger, says the Swans have the most AFLW members of any club (7,757)
    I wonder if the pre-first season Foundation Membership helped with this - either way I think this is an astonishing achievement and hope we hang onto these members.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Story in Zero Hanger, says the Swans have the most AFLW members of any club (7,757)
    I wonder if the pre-first season Foundation Membership helped with this - either way I think this is an astonishing achievement and hope we hang onto these members.
    This is great news. I agree that the Foundation Membership would have helped as you only had to pay $25 this season. I read the article on the Swans app and it said we had 4388 Foundation members last season.

The article said the top three clubs were Sydney Swans (7,757), Adelaide Crows (6,706) and Geelong Cats (5,938).

I was actually surprised that the successful teams like Brisbane and Melbourne had low membership numbers.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    My understanding is that next season it will be $75 or possibly a bit more.
    I can't see that being too much of a deterrent Mel C, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 29th November 2022 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Typo - hit 3 instead of 7

Is anyone able to clarify if next season’s AFLW membership is on sale?

There is a link at the bottom of the Swans article on the record AFLW numbers this year (on Swans website) but as far as I can see it only takes me to renewal of the men’s membership.

I’ve already had my (men’s only?) membership renewed by automatic rollover with payment debited to my credit card. But I don’t know what the payment amount covers. I can’t get the total amount to tally with what I expected to be the component parts and Ticketmaster don’t provide a detailed invoice.

Does the automatic rollover include the AFLW membership? And if not, why not?

I doubt the next season AFLW membership is on sale yet. They don't even know when it will be yet.

However, I did learn today that their pre-season is going to start in May and that they have off-season programs to keep them going in the meantime.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Thanks bs you are probably right that AFLW memberships are not yet on sale.

But it is remiss of the Swans not to make that explicit in their membership marketing. Particularly in a link at the bottom of an AFLW article…..

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    My understanding is that next season it will be $35 or possibly a bit more.
    I can't see that being too much of a deterrent Mel C, but I could be wrong.
    I think the total this year was $75, which included game access. I paid $50 as a Foundation member and then $25 this year to upgrade my membership to game access. I didn't attend any games but I'm happy to contribute to the Women's team 🙂.

Edit: I was checking my emails about AFLW membership renewal due to Meg's question above, and it says the 2023 membership price is $50.
    Last edited by Mel_C; 28th November 2022 at 07:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast