Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans VFL 2023

Swans VFL 2023

I will aim to follow up with some more thoughts later because this thread deserves a bit of a better intro. Today I just want to report that I clocked some of our new VFL players at training today. They include: Indhi Kirk Indhi Kirk Draft Profile - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central (formerly AFL Draft Central) Kirk makes VFL debut Toby Alker Toby Alker Draft Profile - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central (formerly AFL Draft Central) QBE Sydney Swans Academy: Persistence pays off for Anderson and Alker Christian Webster Christian Webster Draft Profile - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central (formerly AFL Draft Central) https://sydneyafl.com.au/2022/08/04/...xteen-nominee/ There was another young one whose name I didn't catch. I wonder if this means we really have lost Collis (heard he's moved back to rural Victoria)? And who else? We shall see.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Appreciate the info bloodspirit, particularly as many of us are far away from Sydney

Does anyone have any idea what a Swans VFL player gets a year, if you are not on the Swans list?

Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    Does anyone have any idea what a Swans VFL player gets a year, if you are not on the Swans list?
    Well, the salary cap for stand alone VFL clubs is $220,000, while for the AFL aligned sides it's $110,000. So from that, I'm assuming that playing in the VFL is very much a part time job. Unless there's a huge amount of off the cap payments: which I doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I will aim to follow up with some more thoughts later because this thread deserves a bit of a better intro. Today I just want to report that I clocked some of our new VFL players at training today. They include: Indhi Kirk Indhi Kirk Draft Profile - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central (formerly AFL Draft Central) Kirk makes VFL debut Toby Alker Toby Alker Draft Profile - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central (formerly AFL Draft Central) QBE Sydney Swans Academy: Persistence pays off for Anderson and Alker Christian Webster Christian Webster Draft Profile - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central (formerly AFL Draft Central) https://sydneyafl.com.au/2022/08/04/...xteen-nominee/ There was another young one whose name I didn't catch. I wonder if this means we really have lost Collis (heard he's moved back to rural Victoria)? And who else? We shall see.
    Thanks for that. Possibilities for the unnamed player. Jordan Endemann? Felix Rogers? Tye Gander? Billy King? All did some good things for the academy last year, plus a few others whose names escape me.

Thanks for your feedback, mate. Doesn't seem much incentive for anyone to move from interstate to play for the Swans VFL side, one step from making an AFL side if they perform well in the VFL comp.

Not much money and from what I have seen not much game time for many of them as well. They essentially seem to be top ups when the main list is not available and often they are overlooked in preference for academy kids etc as well.

Some of the ex academy kids get pretty disenfranchised by the current swans vfl setup as they see it as a possible chance but they really arent given much opportunity. Brewer , Pfrengle etc got very few games last year and played most of their footy at club level.

Can any of RWO's enlighten me about the new coach Damian Truslove?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Can any of RWO's enlighten me about the new coach Damian Truslove?
    Meet our new VFL Coach, Damian Truslove

This is probably the best place to start.

Hi Liz,

Yes I read that article, and it gave his coaching experience but I am interested with his roots & playing experience.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Hi Liz,

Yes I read that article, and it gave his coaching experience but I am interested with his roots & playing experience.
    I found this little summary on https://www.oneononefootball.com.au/coaches/112

Damian Truslove

I am a Level 3 High Performance Coach.
    I have been coaching for 15 years.
    My coaching role at the GWS Giants FC involved me designing drills to improve players skills. These drills are fun and challenging!
    I have experience coaching boys and girls from ages 8 - 30.
    I have a strong passion for teaching the skill fundamentals of our game. I regularly visit other sports for ideas on different training methods.

AFL EXPERIENCE:

1987 - 1992 Assumption College Kilmore Player

Senior player at Maryborough FC, Bendigo FL

Senior player at Doutta Stars FC, Essendon FL

Senior player at Mayne Tigers FC, QAFL (now NEAFL)

Basically he's a total unknown (as far as we on RWO are concerned) who has been around for a while. Maybe Leon Cameron and/or Mark McVeigh vouched for him.

Maybe we have plumped for quantity over quality at VFL level - we have also brought in Amon Buchanan who is an additional member of coaching staff (he's a development coach) compared to last season.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast