Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Barry Round

Was just getting ready for Christmas and read this sad news. I was 15 when the Swans came to Sydney and Roundy was my deadset hero. My Dad and I used to smile when he would take a mark and Stevie Wright or et al would come running by for a handball as Baz wasn’t the best kick but he never wasted a possession. Remember he led the team all day in that first game in Sydney vs Melbourne and he was so determined for the Swans to get off to a great start and of course they did. What a champion of our club. Will always be remembered fondly and be a massive part of The Bloods Culture. Vale Bazza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    A terribly sad day, one of my all time favourite players.
    That huge chest of his made him unmistakeable. And gave the Sydney crowds an individual they could recognise and therefore cheer.
    The best man-on-man mark I have ever seen too, even in the wet, as mentioned by Foreign Legion.
    Favourite memories of Barry?
    Saddest was the last game at Lakeside where he did everything possible, including 20 marks to get the win.
    Happiest was the night flag in '82 - at the time it was a big deal for the Swans faithful.
    He was instrumental in getting so many players to give the move to Sydney a go, which helped take the steam from the KSAS crowd.
    So young - very sad.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 25th December 2022 at 03:56 AM.

Reading the thread, I had to smile

Yeah, we would wince if Barry marked near goals.

Remember them one handed marks?

Veterans List
    Really sad news ☹.

I was really young when he played but I remember that my dad used to call him "Patata"...(which is Potato in Greek)...because he said that Round couldn't kick!

The reporting of his passing on all the tv networks has been really impressive and respectful.

The tributes on the Swans site show how important he was to the club, especially with the move to Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallG View Post
    Reading the thread, I had to smile

Yeah, we would wince if Barry marked near goals.

Remember them one handed marks?
    I echo the tributes to Big Barry - what a key part of our history he was. Another aspect of his game which is worth remembering was his capacity to grab the ball out of boundary ruck contests on the forward line and snap a goal. He did this a lot. It used to bring the house down at the old Lake Oval. Some modern players like Hawkins do this successfully now but he was a pioneer in this tactic.

Barry Round was before my time but I'm grateful to be reading all these tributes and learning more about him.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

I'm late to the tributes, after only learning of Barry's sad passing late on Christmas Eve being busy with preparations. Taken me a while to contemplate a hero whom I watched at the Lakeside Oval and then the SCG, such a fabric of the club is no longer with us.

Can't add furthermore to the wonderful tributes posted here and on the club's website. Agree with Mark Browning's suggestion of having statue of Barry Round holding the 1982 night premiership cup outside the new facility.

My only personal encounter with Barry was in the early 90's after a rare win at the MCG, where I bumped into him outside the ground. I was bemused to see him wearing his Williamstown jumper, but he smiled and proceeded to roll up his slacks to proudly show off his Swans socks followed by a high 5! Made my day.

Been a sad year in the Swans family with the passings of Kenny Williams, Jim Main, John Payne and Jan Courtin. I've posted link to the Front Bar episode last year when Barry was the special guest. Starts around 24:30 mark and interview runs for 25 mins covering his career. Very entertaining and insightful:

The Front Bar - (20/05/21) - YouTube

Senior Player
    Thx for this. Great swans player. Great personality.

Senior Player
    Thanks for that link KSAS - what a legend he was.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post

Been a sad year in the Swans family with the passings of Kenny Williams, Jim Main, John Payne and Jan Courtin. I've posted link to the Front Bar episode last year when Barry was the special guest. Starts around 24:30 mark and interview runs for 25 mins covering his career. Very entertaining and insightful:

The Front Bar - (20/05/21) - YouTube
    What a joyous appearance.....great viewing. Very funny bloke and a club legend for sure!

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries

Boundary thro in

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    What a joyous appearance.....great viewing. Very funny bloke and a club legend for sure!
    Enjoyable viewing and he was a Swans legend. I remember thinking when Tom Hawkins brushed aside Tom Hickey and kicked the first goal in the GF, He would have never achieved that feat against Barry round. He will be missed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12