Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free kicks

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne

Free kicks

SEN has posted the free kick tallies for 2023 here: The 2023 Free Kick Ladder - Home and Away season
    We're ranked equal 4th for most frees for, and third for most free kicks against. Our differential over the year is -7, ranking ninth.

AFL Tables has free kick tallies here: Free Kicks 2023 with "wins", "draws" and "losses". It's possible to use the AFL Tables list to create a ladder.

Free Kick Ladder for 2023:

Code:
                     W   D   L  Perc   Pts
    St Kilda         17  0   6  121.51  68
    Brisbane Lions   15  0   8  116.04  60
    Melbourne        14  2   7  112.27  60
    Collingwood      15  0   8  111.11  60
    Fremantle        14  1   8  119.73  58
    Carlton          13  2   8  110.17  56
    Western Bulldogs 13  0  10   99.21  52
    Hawthorn         11  1  11   95.24  46
    Essendon         10  2  11  106.50  44
    West Coast       11  0  12   94.05  44
    Gold Coast       10  2  11   87.73  44
    GWS Giants       10  1  12   95.69  42
    Adelaide         10  1  12   92.78  42
    Sydney Swans     10  0  13   98.42  40
    Geelong           9  0  14   97.50  36
    Port Adelaide     7  0  16   85.95  28
    North Melbourne   5  2  16   87.84  24
    Richmond          6  0  17   85.82  24
    It is interesting how this ladder somewhat resembles the actual ladder.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    Might explain Bulldogs missing finals. Haven't they fallen down the differential ladder?

The Victorian clubs get a significant advantage, as seen on your ladder, by having the umpires train with them. Breeds an understanding and maybe an exchange of tips to avoid or gain a free kick. Co-training should be banned.

I looked through the suspensions of 2023 and, anecdotally, it seemed non Vic sides coped more suspensions than Vic sides. Again the tyranny of distance to defend in person or appeal skews it, or even the fact that the MRO doesn't want to stir up the pro-vic media.

Hopefully new operations boss sorts it out.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Might explain Bulldogs missing finals. Haven't they fallen down the differential ladder?
    Yes, the umpires who didn't give the Poodles an armchair ride this year should be stood down!

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Yes, the umpires who didn't give the Poodles an armchair ride this year should be stood down!
    I agree. What is wrong with these umpires? Don't they believe in carrying on a Bulldogs tradition?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The Victorian clubs get a significant advantage, as seen on your ladder, by having the umpires train with them. Breeds an understanding and maybe an exchange of tips to avoid or gain a free kick. Co-training should be banned.
    Not long after reading your post, I was watching the news tonight and they had a report about a couple of Carlton players that got into a scuffle during training. In the foreground there was an umpire wearing number 9, who I assume was Stevic. He better not be umpiring our game!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Not long after reading your post, I was watching the news tonight and they had a report about a couple of Carlton players that got into a scuffle during training. In the foreground there was an umpire wearing number 9, who I assume was Stevic. He better not be umpiring our game!
    The finals are nigh; no umpire who will be officiating in the finals should be within a bull's roar of competing clubs. There are plenty of spare umpires who missed out on the finals.

Worse than I thought. Having a real umpire, umpire a inter club practice game is a step beyond just doing laps around the oval.

Veterans List
    You could just about guarantee it happening.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/so-...04-p5e1uc.html

Okay fess up, who here wrote this article?

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/so-...04-p5e1uc.html

Okay fess up, who here wrote this article?
    wow

"In the past 10 years, the Swans have only once finished on the right side of the free-kick count against Victorian teams in a final (and that was in last year’s grand final humiliation by Geelong)."

1 game

Senior Player
    Great article. Surprised it got published.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast