Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Academy games 2023

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Actually, having just had a look at the selected teams, it seems that our games have been chosen to be streamed "exclusively to subscribers of Kommunity TV". Which appears to be some sort of small scale streaming service affiliated with News Corpse.
    Grrr!
    From what I can tell, you need to subscribe to a NewsCorpse masthead such as the Australian or the Hun at about $25 per month. Then you can subscribe to KTV for an extra dollar a week.Great deal AFL.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

You will probably be able to watch the replays of both games on the Coates app during the week if you want. The girls dominated winning 11.11.77 - 1.2.8. Best were Kendra Blattman, Grace Crittenden, Lily Race, Charlotte Watton, Emma Juneja, Olivia Morris.

The Coates app has finally put the score up. We kicked seven final quarter goals to one, to win 13.17-95 to 10.7-67. Looking at the stats sheet, we won every stat except free kicks.

Individually, Caiden Cleary and Indhi Kirk topped the possession count with 28 each, and the tackle count with 7 each. Tye Gander was our leading goal scorer with 3.

Senior Player
    The Coates app has finally put the score up. We kicked seven final quarter goals to one, to win 13.17-95 to 10.7-67. Looking at the stats sheet, we won every stat except free kicks.

Individually, Caiden Cleary and Indhi Kirk topped the possession count with 28 each, and the tackle count with 7 each. Tye Gander was our leading goal scorer with 3.
    There does not appear to be any facility for a replay. Hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    There does not appear to be any facility for a replay. Hope I am wrong.

It might appear later in the week.

The replay is now on the Coates app.

Senior Player
    The replay is now on the Coates app.
    Excellent!

Having watched 3/4 of the game, I thought I'd post a few observations. (I didn't watch the third quarter, since it was fairly late at night and the Western Jets did all the scoring).

Probably our best was Indhi Kirk, who played in a different role than last season. Last season he predominantly played wing, yesterday he spent a lot more time as an inside mid, with the occasional spell as a small forward. This role seemed to suit him, as he was both elusive under pressure and able to exert pressure himself. The central role also allowed him to play as more of a link, when the ball was being moved out of defence. He was equal highest on ground for number of disposals and tackles. As an over-age player, it'll be interesting to see if he gets much of a run in the VFL this year.

The player that he shared the highest disposals and tackles with was Caiden Cleary. Probably our best draft prospect this year, he's an in and under ball magnet, who has enough pace to escape the contest and who generally uses it pretty well.

Lachlan Cabor also did some nice work at the ruck contests.

All three benefited from the hitouts to advantage by our ruckmen, especially Caleb May; who is now something of a man mountain. The Coates app lists him as 204cm, but I suspect that's last year's measurement and it wouldn't surprise me if he's actually 4 or 5 centimetres taller. It'll be interesting to see if he develops into a genuine draft prospect. At the moment, he's a bit lumbering around the ground and a few times he was moved around by a smaller opponent in the ruck. So, hopefully he can improve his pace and explosive power.

The other ruck, Harrison Podmore-Taylor, has impressed me in the two games that I've seen him in. I don't think he was in the academy system last year, so I'm wondering if he's been drafted in on athletic ability? Listed at 201cm, he's fast, strong and agile. During the final quarter, he mainly played as a key forward and acquitted himself well. Threw himself hard at the ball and kicked a nice goal in broken play. I suspect he'll spend more time as a KPF, as this academy year seems to be lacking them.

Filling that role is Tye Gander, who showed some talent last season, but was probably considered too skinny to be drafted. Despite being more physically suited to playing as a medium forward or tall winger, he did quite well with three goals.

Playing as a medium forward, Max Rider did some nice things and kicked a couple of goals. Although one of his goals surprised me. I winced when he slammed his opponent into the ground and thought, "Uggh, he might get a week for that". But to my relief, he was rewarded a HTB free, instead. Handily, it was in the goal square.

Other players did good things, but I'm still working out who's who. I thought number 30 looked pretty good in defence, but I don't know who he is?

Rookie Me made Indhi their player of the week for round one.

2023 Coates Talent League Player of the Week: Round 1 - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central

They also awarded votes for the game.

5 – Indhi Kirk (Swans Academy)
    4 – Logan Morris (Western Jets)
    3 – Tye Gander (Swans Academy)
    2 – Caiden Cleary (Swans Academy)
    1 – Jake Smith (Western Jets)

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    You will probably be able to watch the replays of both games on the Coates app during the week if you want. The girls dominated winning 11.11.77 - 1.2.8. Best were Kendra Blattman, Grace Crittenden, Lily Race, Charlotte Watton, Emma Juneja, Olivia Morris.
    Rookie Me now has a brief write up of this game.

2023 Coates Talent League Girls: Round 2 wrap - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central

Olivia Morris seems a prospect.

The U18M academy side play the GWV Rebels at 11am today, while the U16 M & F teams play Brisbane tomorrow.

QBE Academy Matches: Coates League and Northern Academy Series

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast