Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Academy games 2023

A few of guys are running around in the Futures Game at 9.35am today. It's a showcase for those who are considered to have a good chance of getting drafted in 2024.

Joe Harrison will be playing for Team Selwood in jersey number 4. Since he regularly played as an under-ager in the Talent League and other academy matches, I'm guessing that Swans management consider him to be our most promising prospect. He's a tough inside mid, who has good skills and also spent a bit of time as a small forward.

Mitch Woods is number 3 in Team Natanui and Joel Cochran is number 14. Woods is a nippy midfielder and small forward, who was played a bit in the Talent League this year and made the U16 All Australian side the previous season. I'm not sure if Cochran played in the Talent League this year, but he did play as an over-ager in the recent U16 championships. He certainly showed his versatility in those games, where he alternated between ruck, big bodied mid and key position player.

Hopefully all three improve their draft chances.

I missed the first quarter and didn't see too many touches from our guys in the second. Cochran kicked a late goal, which was a nice snap, after a loose ball gather. Although, he possibly should have taken the mark in the first place. Woods has looked pretty lively when the ball's came his way.

Cochran got a couple of goals playing as a forward and showed some nice skills in broken play, for someone who I think is around 195cm. Woods and Harrison had some useful possessions, but unless they got plenty of it in the first quarter that I didn't see, probably didn't have enough touches to enhance their draft rankings. But hey, there's still a whole season for them to do that.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Academy games 2023

We've lost Mitchell Woods to rugby league.SMH link

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516