Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Academy games 2023

By the way, that was the final Talent League match this season for the academy team. However, some of the more highly rated players should be selected for the Allies.

This is the Allies program.
    Sun, June 4
    South Australia v Allies

Sun, June 11
    Allies v Western Australia

Sun, July 2
    Allies v Victoria Metro

Sun, July 9,
    Victoria Country v Allies

Veteran Site Admin
    The Allies appear to have a pretty strong squad this year. I guess we'll find out how strong when they face the traditional states at the U18 championships.

McKercher and the Suns Academy trio (Rogers, Read, Walter) are all touted as first round draft picks, and there's a smattering of other draft-possible/probable talent throughout the squad.

Six of our academy team have made the squad - top-agers Clearly, Cabor, Rider and May, plus over-agers Kirk and Gander.

Allies squad named for 2023 U18 Boys Championships

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The Allies appear to have a pretty strong squad this year. I guess we'll find out how strong when they face the traditional states at the U18 championships.

McKercher and the Suns Academy trio (Rogers, Read, Walter) are all touted as first round draft picks, and there's a smattering of other draft-possible/probable talent throughout the squad.

Six of our academy team have made the squad - top-agers Clearly, Cabor, Rider and May, plus over-agers Kirk and Gander.

Allies squad named for 2023 U18 Boys Championships
    Quite looking forward to seeing how they go, especially May, who seems to be improving as the year progresses.

The first match of the U18 championship is on later today, with the Allies playing SA. It starts at 11am Central time and can be streamed from the AFL site. Swans academy players; Cleary (number 3), Cabor (7), Kirk (14), Rider (18) and May (44) are all in named side, while Gander (29) is listed as an emergency. This is a brief preview from Rookie Me.

PREVIEW | 2023 AFL U18s: South Australia vs. Allies - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central

We're playing well this far. A lot of the action is down our scoring end. I can make out Cleary around the ball. Can anyone help out about the positions of the other Swan's players?

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like Rider is around the CHF position. Good goal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    We're playing well this far. A lot of the action is down our scoring end. I can make out Cleary around the ball. Can anyone help out about the positions of the other Swan's players?

- - - Updated - - -

And May is rucking too. Getting there slowly.

- - - Updated - - -

May (44) is now rucking. Kirk (14) is on the wing (which suits him less than inside mid) and Cabor (7) is playing as a small defender.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    May (44) is now rucking. Kirk (14) is on the wing (which suits him less than inside mid) and Cabor (7) is playing as a small defender.
    Thanks Deja. This is a ripping start. Let's hope they can keep up the intensity all match.

Thanks Deja. This is a ripping start. Let's hope they can keep up the intensity all match.
    Hopefully Cleary can keep it up. He's been very lively so far.
    Walter from the Suns is also enhancing his reputation. There's been the occasional comparison to BBB Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Hopefully Cleary can keep it up. He's been very lively so far.
    Walter from the Suns is also enhancing his reputation. There's been the occasional comparison to BBB Hall.
    Cleary just laid a great tackle and has been strong and clean around the ball. May looks like a good ruck project. What are the chances of us picking up both in the draft?

You're right about Walter. Would love him on our list, but so would quite a number of teams. Suns would be foolish not to match a bid you'd think.

Cleary just laid a great tackle and has been strong and clean around the ball. May looks like a good ruck project. What are the chances of us picking up both in the draft?

You're right about Walter. Would love him on our list, but so would quite a number of teams. Suns would be foolish not to match a bid you'd think.
    Yep Gold Coast are going to need points for there academy players , there first pick will be on the table no doubt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd say the chances are pretty good. Personally I think they're our two most draftable prospects. None of the rankings that I've seen have had them among the top twenty prospects, so currently it's unlikely to cost us a lot of draft capital. Although if Cleary keeps this up, he might break into the top twenty. So far, he's playing a better game than McKercher, who Rookie Me rate at 3.

AFL Draft Power Rankings: May 2023 - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central

The first ruck in this game for the Allies, Reid, is rated by them at 5 or 6, and one of the rucks for SA, van Wick, is a 113kg over-ager: so, it's a good chance for May to put forward his case.

Sorry, ruckman Read is rated at 7, and is also from the Suns academy.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast