Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: General Swans chat 2023

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    On FC last night it was highlighted there are no games in Sydney this weekend, both AFL & NRL. NRL has their magic round in Brisbane. Giants playing in Canberra & us at the MCG. It was looked upon as a missed opportunity by the AFL with their fixturing to take advantage of the opportunity. Suggesting both Giants & us play home games in Sydney on Saturday afternoon & evening.
    I just read an article about this Swans & GWS discussion on Footy Classified and COLA was brought up so of course Eddie went on his usual rant saying it shouldn't be used for Buddy to employ more cleaners. Bartel tried to provide reasoning and he had a go at Eddie for being the one that campaigned to get rid of it. Eddie kept interrupting bringing up that we have played in lots of Grand Finals without COLA and that Brisbane are also going well. He just doesn't get it.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    On FC last night it was highlighted there are no games in Sydney this weekend, both AFL & NRL. NRL has their magic round in Brisbane. Giants playing in Canberra & us at the MCG. It was looked upon as a missed opportunity by the AFL with their fixturing to take advantage of the opportunity. Suggesting both Giants & us play home games in Sydney on Saturday afternoon & evening.
    I just read about Bartel's run-in with McGuire re COLA in that show. Sounded very tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I just read about Bartel's run-in with McGuire re COLA in that show. Sounded very tedious.
    Yes it was very tedious with same old COLA rort blurb from Eddie. So much so, it no longer invokes a reaction from me. As Mel_C pointed out, he just doesn't get it.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    And to think that there are some people in the press that think Eddie should be on the AFL Commission

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Maybe he was joking? With McGuire, it's often very hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Maybe he was joking? With McGuire, it's often very hard to tell.
    No he wasn’t. Repeated the same theme viz; why should players on $1M be getting extra allowance,yada yada etc.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Just love it when Eddie complains about "advantages" that other clubs receive.

Did he happen to mention that, a few years ago, the Eagles finished on top of the ladder, beat Collingwood in a final and then had to play them again in the Grand Final on Collingwood's home ground?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Just love it when Eddie complains about "advantages" that other clubs receive.

Did he happen to mention that, a few years ago, the Eagles finished on top of the ladder, beat Collingwood in a final and then had to play them again in the Grand Final on Collingwood's home ground?
    +1

From my armchair pov, i was worried of our season's prospects after the thrashing handed to us by the Cats. I was expecting at least a good response to our GF mauling despite our injury list. Instead for me, it re-opened the scars I felt watching the GF live up close, 4 rows back behind the city end goals. Wondering how much those last two maulings by the Cats had affected the playing group, if I as a mere supporter felt impacted by it?

Heard Sarah Ollie who is a passionate Swans fan, say on SEN yesterday that a combination of the GF mauling and our deep injury list are the main catalysts for our under par season thus far. Definitely playing with a lack of confidence.

She noted how other injury hit teams like Geelong & St Kilda were still able to punch out consistent wins. Discussing with Scott Lucas, who is confident we will re-launch next year after now looking most likely to miss the finals. They cited Melbourne as example who were thrashed in 2018 PF, missed finals in 2019 & bounced back strongly thereafter.

We also had bad timings of Warren Treadre attacking Ken Hinkley before our game against Port & sudden gust of wind holding up Ollie's match winning kick after the siren. Also include GWS amazing goal kicking accuracy & Toby's matching winning performance, only to miss the following the week.

Just not our year it seems. Important we finish the season well even if we don't make finals.
    Last edited by KSAS; 15th May 2023 at 10:59 AM.

You gotta take your chances this competition is ruthless and cruel never know how @@@@ the next season will be.

We have had our fair chance at silverware failed massively at every opportunity.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Cheer up H2F - Not every opportunity I saw 2 day premierships in 7 years - my father saw 1 in 70 years watching the Swans.
    If* the 30's were our "Golden Era" - then the 21st century has been twice as golden.

Historical footnote
    * actually our real "Golden Era"was the 1880's - but I'm told those 5 premierships don't count - often by the same idiots that say the club was founded in 1874. That said idiots say this while actually wearing the red and white of a club founded in 1867 is just the cherry on top.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

We are decimated with injuries at the present. Some teams have more options when injuries hit, but we only have untried, inexperienced players to come in. So we have to be patient and lower our expectations this year and play as many of the kids as we can. I won’t mind if we finish in the bottom 4 as we will then get early picks, but will probably take the best mids available, as usual!😊

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast