Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 1: the other games. Here we are again.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Power giving the Lions an absolute thrashing!
    Just saw that....very weird! Maybe the Lions believe their own press and got ahead of themselves. They looked so good in the pre-season.

How can this be happening?? I'm sure it's universally agreed that Lions won the off-season and improved their team the most. They got Dunkley, Ashcroft and Gunston. They're meant to be winning.

Did someone forget to tell Port? Does this mean that recruiting in name players isn't a sure-fire route to success? That there might be other ways of improving a team than by new recruits? Or does it mean that Fagan is useless? Or that Kinkley is brilliant?

So much to ponder!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Looks like #freekickbulldogs is STILL a thing.....and #nofreestothebulldogsopponents. Sheese....when will it end?!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 18th March 2023 at 08:42 PM.

It's good to see the Dees are still in front. Can't stand the Dogs.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    The Dees have well and truly put the Poodles to sleep!! Woo hoo!!

Veterans List
    [QUOTE=stevoswan;862765]Looks like #freekickbulldogs is STILL a thing.....and #nofreestothebulldogsopponents. Sheese....when will it end?![/QUOTE

AFL app says free kick count was 22 -13 in Melbourne's favour. The Footy Live app says the same.

As I've mentioned, I'm pretty pleased with results so far this round. Today I'm hoping for GWS and, dare I say it, Essendon to win. I don't care about Freo and Saints.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    How can this be happening?? I'm sure it's universally agreed that Lions won the off-season and improved their team the most. They got Dunkley, Ashcroft and Gunston. They're meant to be winning.

Did someone forget to tell Port? Does this mean that recruiting in name players isn't a sure-fire route to success? That there might be other ways of improving a team than by new recruits? Or does it mean that Fagan is useless? Or that Kinkley is brilliant?

So much to ponder!
    I think the Lions have tickets on themselves. Not just this season, with their "new, improved list" but ever since they started to become a good side again. Most of the time they do have the talent to get the results, but I reckon there are times they think it will just happen for them. That Port game was reminiscent of our R1 game against them in 2021: we started very well, they pegged us back by half-time, but when we came again in the second half, they didn't want to work hard enough to stay in the contest.

It's fair to say we surprised the whole footy world with performance that round - no Buddy and the likes of Gulden, McDonald and Warner leading the way. There's less excuse for the Lions to have taken Port lightly. Even though they missed the finals last season, the talent in their squad is well recognised.

Very special victory by the Giants!! Down 31 points in the third quarter. Heaps of injuries. They were down to two on the bench for pretty much the whole last quarter in sweltering conditions. About 7-8 of them were cramping badly. Haynes had some kind of injury and could barely move around the field. They moved him into the forward 50 so he wouldn't have to move much. He marked about 40-45 out with the Giants holding a slim lead that they looked in grave danger of letting slip as they were completely running out of puff. He repeatedly tried to offload the ball but one time that was called back by the umpires. He wound up having to run in. He decided to take the shot. He put everything into it and kicked truly giving the Giants a healthy buffer of approximately 2 goals but still with over 10 minutes to play. The rest of the game was just desperation. Somehow the Giants held on for a memorable win. Afterwards in interview Toby Greene described it as "the hardest game I've ever played in".

Wow! Got me off my seat - even though I only saw the last quarter. I'm glad they won. Now, with a lot less enthusiasm, I'm going to hope the Bombers beat the Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Very special victory by the Giants!! Down 31 points in the third quarter. Heaps of injuries. They were down to two on the bench for pretty much the whole last quarter in sweltering conditions. About 7-8 of them were cramping badly. Haynes had some kind of injury and could barely move around the field. They moved him into the forward 50 so he wouldn't have to move much. He marked about 40-45 out with the Giants holding a slim lead that they looked in grave danger of letting slip as they were completely running out of puff. He repeatedly tried to offload the ball but one time that was called back by the umpires. He wound up having to run in. He decided to take the shot. He put everything into it and kicked truly giving the Giants a healthy buffer of approximately 2 goals but still with over 10 minutes to play. The rest of the game was just desperation. Somehow the Giants held on for a memorable win. Afterwards in interview Toby Greene described it as "the hardest game I've ever played in".

Wow! Got me off my seat - even though I only saw the last quarter. I'm glad they won. Now, with a lot less enthusiasm, I'm going to hope the Bombers beat the Hawks.
    Agree, that was a terrific victory by the Giants. Adelaide totally blew their period of dominance (poor kicking, wasteful ball use) and paid the price. Thoroughly enjoyed watching the Giants’ never-say-die effort.
    Now watching Bombers v. Hawks; definitely two bottom-four sides, with the Hawks a monty for the Spoon. West Coast might give them a race, but the disposal by both Bombers and Hawthorn is less than ordinary.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Agree, that was a terrific victory by the Giants. Adelaide totally blew their period of dominance (poor kicking, wasteful ball use) and paid the price. Thoroughly enjoyed watching the Giants’ never-say-die effort.
    Now watching Bombers v. Hawks; definitely two bottom-four sides, with the Hawks a monty for the Spoon. West Coast might give them a race, but the disposal by both Bombers and Hawthorn is less than ordinary.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
    Hawks skills were okay, until Essendon deigned to lay a few tackles. They might be in for a rude shock next week. At half time, Essendon had made 16 tackles; last night we made 84.

Hawthorn need to kick a few goals, otherwise Essendon go top on percentage. Not that whoever is top after round one really matters.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast