Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 1: the other games. Here we are again.

Round 1: the other games. Here we are again.

With the season starting today, I thought that it was about time that I once again put on display, my collection of petty prejudices, random factoids and half-baked ideas. And what better place to display a few petty prejudices than tonight's "traditional" season opener between Carlton and Richmond.

I mean, usually I'd go for Richmond here, but I'm getting a bit sick of them seemingly treating GWS and Gold Coast as their personal feeder clubs; so I'm going off them. Perhaps a head clash between Taranto and Hopper at the opening bounce, would be an appropriate way to start the game? On the other hand, I do think there could still be more amusement to be had, from another season of Carlton not making the finals. And it does seem a bit odd to me, that while there's been plenty of probably justifiable speculation on whether our grand final thrashing will leave mental scars, there seems a fair bit less speculation on the effects of last season's Carlton choke. I mean, not playing finals since 2013, a team full of high draft picks, a 11-5 record with six rounds to go, then losing five of the last six, to miss the finals by 0.5%. Well, that's got to engender a few thoughts, that they're maybe just not as good as many people seem to think?

The Friday night game should see a packed MCG for the clash between Geelong and Collingwood. I suspect that last year's GF will see me death riding Geelong this season. So, I suppose that it's go Collingwood; even if it does appear to be an away game for them. But hey, no Ginnivan on the field might make it easier for me.
    Actually, one good way not to win Millionaire Hot Seat would be, "Hey, Eddie, I haven't seen Jack Ginnivan on the field lately, is he injured?" Although, now that I think of it, a more surefire way not to win, would be, "Hey, Eddie, what's the name of that old mate of yours, the guy that used to wear the gold jacket? Joffa, is it? I haven't seen him for ages. What's he up to these days?"

The first Saturday game is North v West Coast. Hmm, it seems that the general view is that a guy called Harley Reid is the likely number one pick in the 2023 draft. Some of the pundits reckon that he's the next Dustin Martin.

Next up is an interesting match between Port and Brisbane. Port seem to be flying under the radar a bit, while everybody seems to think that Brisbane are top four certainties. I'm not sure that either position is quite right? Yes, Port were a bit disappointing late in the season and they might miss the skills of Karl Amon, but they have plenty of young talent and Horne-Francis might come good. While with Brisbane, yes, I agree that they have had a good off-season: but they've been largely injury free for about the last five seasons and they haven't quite been good enough to make a grand final. So, surely that remarkable run of injury luck has to run out, doesn't it??

Then it's another big game at the G, with the 2021 grand finalists Melbourne and Western Bulldogs. I guess the big interest here centres on the talls of both teams. Assuming that Melbourne pick both Grundy and Gawn; how will that work out? Match made in heaven or one of the partners feeling decidedly unloved? And it's sort of similar for the Bulldogs. How many of Naughton, Ugle-Hagan, Darcy, Bruce, Lobb and English will they try to cram into their team? And will it result in aerial dominance or big blokes dropping marks and spectating as smaller Melbourne defenders rebound at will?

Next up, Gold Coast host us at the former Metricon, now Heritage Bank stadium. Obviously this game will be discussed a lot more on other threads, so I'll just say, danger game.

Sunday opens with GWS hosting Adelaide. I'm curious to see how GWS go this year. Will another offseason of losing high end talent, see them languishing at the lower end of the table? Or will new coach, Kingsley, be able to capitalise on the years of poaching, to form a stronger, us versus them, bond between all the highly gifted players that are still there?

Next up is Hawthorn v Essendon. Many commentators are predicting a Hawthorn wooden spoon. Which could easily eventuate. I mean, if it was twenty years ago, I'd say that their offseason of getting rid of experienced players, was aimed at getting priority picks at the next couple of drafts. Now, I'm sort of wondering if there's any great method in their madness? Let's hope not, as I think we do have a draft pick tied to them, don't we?

And finally, it's St Kilda v Fremantle. Going into last season, I think I would have rated St Kilda a side likely to finish just outside the eight, but who would sometimes be fun to watch. But after the arrival of Ross Lyon, I would have rated them a side likely to finish just outside the eight, but who would be tedious to watch. I say, 'would have', because I've recently seen their injury list. Ugghhh! 14 players on the list, most of them long term, many of them quality. So, if Ross can get them anywhere near the eight, then he's a genius.

Anyway, glad that the footy's back and I hope that I can provide a few laughs or start a few discussions. And I hope that a few people will join in to provide me with a few laughs, or maybe even add some insightful football analysis?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    As always, brilliant - and thanks for reviving for a new season.

And having watched Harley Reid in the u18s final as an under ager last year, I'd almost be happy to see the Swans get the spoon this year (joking). He's going to be that good, it's ridiculous.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    As always, brilliant - and thanks for reviving for a new season.

And having watched Harley Reid in the u18s final as an under ager last year, I'd almost be happy to see the Swans get the spoon this year (joking). He's going to be that good, it's ridiculous.
    Cheers. Since you're someone who can do both humour and analysis, I'm pleased that you're playing along.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Great to have these posts back!

Once again the opening round has snuck up on me. Although, it never really feels real to me until my first live game of the year at the SCG. There's something about the thump of that first bounce, I still get the chills after all these seasons. Happy that our first home outing is in the afternoon too.

Ta.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Great to have these posts back!

Once again the opening round has snuck up on me. Although, it never really feels real to me until my first live game of the year at the SCG. There's something about the thump of that first bounce, I still get the chills after all these seasons. Happy that our first home outing is in the afternoon too.
    Ta. Up here, it's around 35°; so it really doesn't feel like AFL season.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Same in Sydney today. It's our junior club season launch day on Sunday and the current prediction is 38 °C. The kids will be grabbing their jumpers and an ice block and getting out of there!

Those icy winter mornings can't come soon enough.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Ta.

- - - Updated - - -

I know right. I'm positively relishing the idea of wearing my thongs to the footy on Saturday night. Wifey, not so keen on that and debating whether it is a bit bogan-ish - but that's the life we lead in the balmy northern rivers, and she loves me anyway.

Veterans List
    We have Hawthorn's second and third rounder this draft so we need them to finish as low as possible. 17th would help us and deny them Harley Reid.

Could we see a Harley Reid Cup later in the season between two bottom of the ladder teams, both wanting to lose to claim the number one pick? Carlton won the Kreuser Cup and the following year the Gibbs Cup, but that's a long time ago now.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    We have Hawthorn's second and third rounder this draft so we need them to finish as low as possible. 17th would help us and deny them Harley Reid.

Could we see a Harley Reid Cup later in the season between two bottom of the ladder teams, both wanting to lose to claim the number one pick? Carlton won the Kreuser Cup and the following year the Gibbs Cup, but that's a long time
    go now.
    I was tempted to call the North v West Coast a Harley Reid match, but I thought, no, too early and there is Hawthorn.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I know right. I'm positively relishing the idea of wearing my thongs to the footy on Saturday night. Wifey, not so keen on that and debating whether it is a bit bogan-ish - but that's the life we lead in the balmy northern rivers, and she loves me anyway.
    How about thongs, shorts, no shirt and Swans scarf?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    How about thongs, shorts, no shirt and Swans scarf?
    That would be very off putting. In this weather, maybe a Swans cap instead of the scarf.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast