Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread - Round 1 vs Gold Coast @ Metricon Stadium

Senior Player
    The biggest story for us was Stephens. Looks strong, assured and is kicking with some zip, thus dealing with the weaknesses he had to start his career. Looking like a top 5 pick now.

Also, we're looking very even - no weaknesses bar the shallow ruck. Harry looks better in that spot than Clarke.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Kelli said it was an elbow and Buddy was in strife - lol.
    I think you will find he made contact with the top of his shoulder.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    The Good

One of the "commentatories" suggested that in conditions like last night you need to play wet weather football, and the reduction of handballs and some of the toe pokes from the Swans looked very much like that.

The Great Dane was back to his best, very happy to see. I was a bit worried last season.

Stevens looked very good, a further improvement from last years late season form which was also an imprvement. Definitely headed in the rght direction.

Very happy to see Harry do well up forward in round one, I still think he's also our very best lock down small defender in the backline - good to have him in the side.

The Bad

Hayward's goal kicking. His one goal was a cracker, but he missed a couple of snaps and that set shot was diabolical. What is going through his mind, is it lack of confidence that causes him to try a around the corner short from such an untroubling angle?

Ladhams did his absolute best against Witts, very pleased at his effort, but I thought what happened after her was subbed off was a pretty severe demonstation of what happens if your relief ruckman is non competative. Unfortunately, at the moment McLean is exactly that. I'm OK with him as an in-case-of-emergency third option, but not as the 2nd option. Imagine what would happen if Ladhams departed the game in the first quarter. We need 2 players that can be competative in the ruck.

The Ugly

I know any criticism of Buddy is anathema for some, but I think we need to talk about Buddy.
    Only the most one-eyed will deny it, but his imput is decreasing, he's lost a couple of yards of pace, and he doesn't bend down as easily as in earlier times, but I think Buddy is also showing signs of what Shane Wakelin called Grumpy Old Man Syndrome.
    The shoulder to Collins' head when he'd gone past the ball, may or may not result in a suspension, I thought it looked bad but no-one can predict what the schizophrenic match review committee wil do.
    But earlier in the game it looked very much like he tried a cocked elbow - which could have been really, really bad if he'd made contact.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 19th March 2023 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Epic Spelling & Grammar Failure this morning - although BS likes Commentatories, so I'll leave that. Sounds vaguely SBS
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

You're a decent commentatorie yourself, RnR!

I broadly agree with what you have written, save that I thought Buddy started really well (not just the goals). You really nailed your analysis of his waning discipline. I noted that earlier stray elbow too. Plus his aggression against Collins early (which was fine but which is more evidence of his mindset,).

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Ladhams did his absolute best against Witts, very pleased at his effort, but I thought what happened after her was subbed off was a pretty severe demonstation of what happens if your relief ruckman is non competative. Unfortunately, at the moment McLean is exactly that. I'm OK with him as an in-case-of-emergency third option, but not as the 2nd option. Imagine what would happen if Ladhams departed the game in the first quarter. We need 2 players that can be competative in the ruck.
    Noticed McDonald had stints in the ruck during the practice games & also last night. I don't mind developing this side of his game, as I can see him maturing into a Tom Hawkins type forward who can also do bullockimg ruck work. Is more agile to be a more effective 2nd ruck option than Maclean, but prefer him primarily as a KPF.

Agree with your other match points raised. I think Harry would make a good small pressure forward & good to see coaches trying new roles with players, even if late in their careers.

It's a pet hate of mine seeing players doing those round corner kicks for goal, even when on just a slight angle! Can understand merit of doing so when having shot close to the boundary. I think Gary Rohan is the best set shot goal kicker in the game. Pure kicking action. Gulden is in the same vein.

Another "Good" was playing in the Red V as the clash away strip with the white shorts. This was a first other than playing in the Melbourne based games of recent years, which we've worn the red "home" shorts. Dermott Brereton was particularly smitten with it!

Next step will be for the Red V to be worn for ALL away games!

Really incisive, if brief, analysis of Rampe's game from Horse at the end of his post-match presser! One of those moments that Horse departed from the mediaspeak he typically deploys.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quite an impressive hit out to start the season. Dylan looked to me like he is ready to take the next step this year.
    Errol just continues to grow and I can see an All Australian Blazer in the next couple of years.
    Chad looked very much at home maybe measure him up for a blazer as well ?
    No need to measure Callum he will wear one again this year and is now one of the elite players in the league.
    James looked a little short of a run but still topped the tackling.
    Backline looked good against what was a fairly tall lineup.
    Was inspired by Lances start but he needs to play with a little less agro.
    It wasn’t a great look when he unnecessarily gave Uwland an extra bit of contact after the ball went over the boundary line , it was his first game and I think the kid was born after Lance debuted.
    He is not going to play every game this year but it would be much better if we decided when to rest him not the Tribunal.
    All in all considering the conditions ( I can’t walk 100 metres in this humidity here in SEQ without feeling drained ) a first up performance that should allay any supporters who were concerned about how they would respond after their last game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    The Good

One of the "commentatories" suggested that in conditions like last night you need to play wet weather football, and the reduction of handballs and some of the toe pokes from the Swans looked very much like that.

The Great Dane was back to his best, very happy to see. I was a bit worried last season.

Stevens looked very good, a further improvement from last years late season form which was also an imprvement. Definitely headed in the rght direction.

Very happy to see Harry do well up forward in round one, I still think he's also our very best lock down small defender in the backline - good to have him in the side.

The Bad

Hayward's goal kicking. His one goal was a cracker, but he missed a couple of snaps and that set shot was diabolical. What is going through his mind, is it lack of confidence that causes him to try a around the corner short from such an untroubling angle?

The Ugly

I know any criticism of Buddy is anathema for some, but I think we need to talk about Buddy.
    Only the most one-eyed will deny it, but his imput is decreasing, he's lost a couple of yards of pace, and he doesn't bend down as easily as in earlier times, but I think Buddy is also showing signs of what Shane Wakelin called Grumpy Old Man Syndrome.
    The shoulder to Collins' head when he'd gone past the ball, may or may not result in a suspension, I thought it looked bad but no-one can predict what the schizophrenic match review committee wil do.
    But earlier in the game it looked very much like he tried a cocked elbow - which could have been really, really bad if he'd made contact.
    Astute analysis in my mind.

Back up ruck is definitely a threat for us in a SWOT analysis. This was highlighted by Ladhams being the one replaced as Horse realised that is possibly our most valuable player to protect right now. Reid is good but he can’t be relied on for a full season. Amartey is better than McLean but also can’t be relied upon. My other concern is that neither Ladhams nor Hickey are decent resting forwards so when they play together we have other issues. The good news is that there are a few other teams with similar issues.

Re: Buddy - I liked the early use of Buddy as full forward and Logan as the leading, marking outside 50 CHF. It worked well before the ground and ball got too wet. It showed that Buddy has enormous value taking a good defender and knowing how to kick a goal. However, I too am concerned about his ill-discipline.

Veterans List
    What a ripper round 1 win! Plenty of intent and dare I say footy smarts. The way we adapted to the "Stuey" conditions (I'm going to keep running with that gag until it gets the love I feel it deserves) reminded me of the Dockers game last year, where we switched up the game plan mid-match - are we perhaps becoming a smart footy team? Not something I've always accused us of being.

As an avowed Stephens critic, let me acknowledge a fine game - as others have noted, he's getting real penetration with his kicking that we didn't see before. Loved Dane and Chad's game, actually not too many I didn't like (I'm with others in that I was frustrated by some of Hayward's footy).

One more peccadillo to add to the "Grumpy Bud" file, bagging out their new boy when he fumbled over the line - is that necessary? Collins didn't think so and let Bud know and I tended to agree. Will certainly get done for the bump I imagine, though I have no idea how long.

Anyway, great start to the season, let's keep it going!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Some good posts and thoughts on the game. And yes, it was ridiculously warm and muggy - and I’m accustomed to it. But last night was something else.

In general, we played with the heat, run and spread you’d hope. The superior speed and foot skills across the ground were noticeable from up high, as was our defensive pressure on the ball carrier. I also liked the mix we kept around the ball, between the bulls and the runners.

As a long time Stephens devotee, last night made me super happy. He really does have all the assets, but what I really loved last night was his willingness when the chance arrived, to grab the ball and just take off like a jet in an instant or put a shimmy on his man. He can be one of those rare 80m players. The other thing watching live is the amount of ground he and McInerney cover is just ridiculous. Stephens had a bit more polish and impact last night, but they are so important to our ability to play with dare and McInerney is just fearless for a light bloke.

Chad really is an all round player now. He can both clear chaos with two quick steps or a smart handball, or go on one of his rampaging runs. What a gem. Same with Errol, but more due to his footy IQ. Watching his running patterns and decision making is something else.

A few others. Rampe was just brilliant, Tom Mc will have the odd moment but he wins a lot of contests, and Logan worked hard up the ground and got some rewards in the first half. The ‘slippery’ game in the second half didn’t really allow for it as much. I also thought Ladhams was good. Witts will beat most in hit outs, but Ladhams was very good otherwise. He has clean hands.

All up, a good win in what could have been a tricky game.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Tom Mc might play even better if he gets some shorts that fit!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast