Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 2 vs HAwthorn at the SCG on Sunday 26 March 2023, 1:10 PM Sydney time

Senior Player

Rnd 2 vs HAwthorn at the SCG on Sunday 26 March 2023, 1:10 PM Sydney time

We are heavy favourites to win. Good opportunity for us to pile on a lot of percentage, though we shouldn't take anything for granted.

Buddy is out with a self managed one week break , a shame as he could have had a bag against his old club.

Can't really see any other changes apart from the Buddy replacement.

Almartey in to give Ladhams support is my call.

Amartey does seem like the obvious choice provided he is fit enough. I’m very against playing McAndrew. I’d rather play Francis or Edwards.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I would definitely go with another tall. Given Reid is out, in order of preference, Amartey, McAndrew, Francis.

My main logic is with just two talls in McLean and McDonald, and McLean needing to spend some time in the ruck, it leaves Logan to carry a mammoth load down forward. He's great, and ready for more responsibility, but we still need to be a little mindful of what we ask of him, and even a side as weak as Hawthorn would pick up off one out. He also works better slightly further up the ground from the goal square at this stage.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I would definitely go with another tall. Given Reid is out, in order of preference, Amartey, McAndrew, Francis.

My main logic is with just two talls in McLean and McDonald, and McLean needing to spend some time in the ruck, it leaves Logan to carry a mammoth load down forward. He's great, and ready for more responsibility, but we still need to be a little mindful of what we ask of him, and even a side as weak as Hawthorn would pick up off one out. He also works better slightly further up the ground from the goal square at this stage.
    💯 agree with this, as long as Amartey is fully fit

Regular in the Side
    After the last GF, I strongly believe we should never be tempted to pick an unfit player. Amartey only ran laps in the 4th Quarter on the Sunday Reserves Practice Match. Probably NOT " as a precaution measure so that he won't be injured before he is going to be selected for this senior round" . He is most likely not yet 100% fit for a full game. If McAndrew is fit, he can play. St Kilda played with lots of regulars unavailable but the "fit" fringe players selected still played their roles. Hawks can be physical under Mitchel.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    After the last GF, I strongly believe we should never be tempted to pick an unfit player. Amartey only ran laps in the 4th Quarter on the Sunday Reserves Practice Match. Probably NOT " as a precaution measure so that he won't be injured before he is going to be selected for this senior round" . He is most likely not yet 100% fit for a full game. If McAndrew is fit, he can play. St Kilda played with lots of regulars unavailable but the "fit" fringe players selected still played their roles. Hawks can be physical under Mitchel.
    St Kilda played a small forward line out of necessity, and seemed to do pretty well. I doubt if we will go with any unfit players again. I prefer the 4 talls setup with 1 ruckman and 3 KPFs, especially that we would usually only have 3 on the ground, due to rotations, but playing one less doesn't bother me, as we would have another forward pressure player in lieu of a tall target. I think this works for as we have a lot of midfielders who can play in that structure. The Saints did well pushing forwards into the midfield and then racing back to the forward 50 when they got possession. That's the way we generally play anyway. I also think that smothering the Hawthorn rebounders is more effective than height in the forward line.

As Fox was listed as 1-2 weeks on last week's injury report, he might be available this week, and could be a forward/ruck option. As well as Fox has played as a defender, I quite like him as a forward. Good mark, good kick. Big tank.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 21st March 2023 at 02:44 PM.

Veterans List
    Did the ressies have a game last weekend? Nothing about it on the Swans website.

It is only Tuesday afternoon I suppose, does take time to write up a basic precis of what transpired against GWS whose media team are right on the ball.
    Last edited by 707; 21st March 2023 at 04:12 PM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    And yes, in my original email on preferencing the potential talls, should have clarified: injury/fitness status dependent.

The other curiousity this week will be who cops the Maginness tag. He really is very good at it. I suspect Chad or Errol should be ready. A couple of sides tried it for a quarter on Chad last year without much success before letting it go, but Maginness is a disciplined operator who can run all day so we will see. As for Errol, if it happens, he can just go play the "whatever you reckon, Errol" role and find ways to make himself useful regardless.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veteran Site Admin
    The Chad will miss this weekend's game...

...theirs, not ours.

Calf injury sidelines mercurial Hawk Chad Wingard for Sydney Swans trip

Veterans List
    I think of him more as "a Chad" rather than "The Chad".

Veterans List
    Do the Hawks have anyone playing this week over 25 years of age?

Pity it's going to be wet all week, will narrow the margin, maybe significantly.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    I think of him more as "a Chad" rather than "The Chad".
    I do think Port, and then Hawks, fans were called him "The Chad" long before our version was even a twinkle in Beatson's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Do the Hawks have anyone playing this week over 25 years of age?

Pity it's going to be wet all week, will narrow the margin, maybe significantly.
    It's not rained yet. And - at this stage - is forecast to be dry come Sunday. The SCG drains very well nowadays.

In answer to your first question, Frost? Sicily?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast