Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 10 - Pre Match Thread - vs North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium, Saturday 20 May, 1:454 PM

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    If Tom McM and Ladhams are fit then they would come in plus Gus and Dyl for Mills, Logan, Sheather and Gould. Even if Tom and Pete are not fit, the outs should be the same. Maybe McAndrew comes in with Cory Warner.

The Gould question has been settled once and for all. He’s like so many footballers, he’s found his level one grade down.
    Not yet totally convinced re Gould. In fairness, he needs a run of games to assess. This season is gone so we may as well play him, Francis and the Pelican down back. If Ladhams is fit, play him up forward and bring in McAndrew to ruck. Buddy sub, I’m afraid, but it won’t happen!

On the Rookie List
    Gould is now 3 games into his career, and he has been brought into a defensive unit decimated by injuries. It's not the easiest start to his career. Give him a run of games - we won't know if he is an AFL standard footballer if we don't play him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    Gould is now 3 games into his career, and he has been brought into a defensive unit decimated by injuries. It's not the easiest start to his career. Give him a run of games - we won't know if he is an AFL standard footballer if we don't play him.
    Yes agree, can’t think of a better time to just play him and see how he goes, then we will know one way or another if he stays on our list

3 games and 4yrs.... That covid year we had a similar injury list to this year and he still couldnt get a game

Clearly there is an issue if he isnt getting games and he isnt getting taken by others

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Jimitron is right. FFS play kids, I know it's mathematically possible to make the finals - but give it a rest.
    I was one of he first to herald the rise of the new kids, and got rubbished for it, so suck up the pain of not making the finals (FFS we are Swannies we are champions of that) and move on.
    New picks next season, hopefully we don't @@@@ it up - pich up a blue ship tall defender or two.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Harley Reid Cup!

Longmire in the post 9 game interview has said both Mills and McDonald are highly unlikely to play (but we will know more as it gets closer to final team selection).

Sheather had 73% time on ground for 5 possessions. I know he needs more games/experience and we got smashed at the centre bounce, but it was still very low output and impact. Gould was not great, but we don't have other options other than Melican so I suppose he stays.

Hoping Ladhams is well enough to play.

Outs: Mills, McDonald
    Ins: Sheldrick, Ladhams
    Sub: Stephens
    Logan 8 weeks Mills about 6, a hammy. Will Tommy play? I hope he is OK and can play.

We​need to address some weaknesses. One is our inability to run and chase defensively in the mids because they are baked.

Our forwards need some cohesion and the mids have to find some sync with them.

Forwards are no chasing hard in a defensive structure

Our mids mix is too shallow with Paps & Heens obviously not fit enough to do many mi utes in there. If that is a problem chuck Wilbur in there.

Sheldrick to replace Mills & PLAY MIDS NOT FORWARD HORSE.

Backs need to settle and get some system back. Everyone has been talking about how bad both Gould & Francis have been.​But the greatest FB​of all time Silvagni would struggle in our backs at present. With the ball coming down so fast because the mids are off their men because they are baked. The other problem is there is no organisation and the coaches are getting the match ups badly wrong too.

Lets the kids down back settle and hopefully Lloyd will take some responsibility this week. He is a good player but not much of a organiser unfortunately and Fox seems to be a quiet sort of guy. Harry is loud but maybe lacks organisational skills? We need someone to step up back there.

They have lots of injuries as well. Two more out of our team. We can't replace Logan. So, we might go one of two ways, or both if we go opposite in the sub, tall or small. Bring in a ruck, Ladhams if fit or McAndrew or a small forward in Hall-Khan. Sheldrick to replace Mills IN THE MIDS HORSE.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Sheather played as a small defender in the VFL last year. They could think about moving him back and starting Campbell further up the ground.

If Ladhams isn't right and McDonald is out, I think McAndrew might have to play. That will at least free up McLean from second ruck duties. Neither he nor Hickey is likely to provide much of a threat resting up forward but we're running out of options.

Personally I'd bring in Stephens before Sheldrick (and maybe experiment with him at a few centre bounces) but I have no idea if the coaches will see it that way. I suspect they share doubts on Sheldrick's stamina at the moment to play a full game in the midfield. He could come in as a small forward (mostly) if Sheather is moved back and Campbell up.
    Campbell has to come up no matter who is there. Rankin could come in. Sheather too. McInerney could go back and Stephens come in. A few options.

But the reality is whoever plays in the backs, someonedownthere has to take charge. There is eff all communication diwnthere and nobody is organising. Half the time nobody knows who is minding who when the opposition switches. Lloyd is the most experienced, he should be organising.

We have too many players who are not fully fit. This is causing some major problems. They are unable to make a sustained chase and those that pinch hit in the mids have only done so for short periods due to lack od endurance fitness through carrying injurying . Heeney and Papley are carry soft tissue strains I would bet on it.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I'm very dubious on both Gould and Francis, as I think neither have the ahtletic profile and agility needed to play at AFL level. I watched Francis in particular from behind the goals at the Randwick end, and geez, my lard ass would move quicker and have a tighter turning circle. But, given our injuries, we might as well play them for an extended stretch and find out once and for all. If one of them makes a fist of it, great. If not, we know to delist.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I'm very dubious on both Gould and Francis, as I think neither have the ahtletic profile and agility needed to play at AFL level. I watched Francis in particular from behind the goals at the Randwick end, and geez, my lard ass would move quicker and have a tighter turning circle. But, given our injuries, we might as well play them for an extended stretch and find out once and for all. If one of them makes a fist of it, great. If not, we know to delist.
    Look to play in our backs at this stage would be a nightmare. We are getting 100 points kicked against us nearly every week. We are not kicking a score from our entries and the ball is coming back faster than a Super Fast Squash ball off a hard surface. I'd hate to be there trying to stop the running hoards with no mids backing up.

What's more there is no organisation down there. If Tommy is playing there is moret. But when he or Ramps do not play there us none. Lloyd seems incapable of organising the troops. Great player, terrible stand in backs captain.

So, even the best would struggle at the pace the ball is coming in. Who are the backs having to cope with? Forwards, both tall & small, plus the wingers, mids & half backs running down off their players. Not good.

agree 100%. Our poor defensive pressure from the midfield has made our defenders life a nightmare even without the injuries

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    agree 100%. Our poor defensive pressure from the midfield has made our defenders life a nightmare even without the injuries
    I agree. How the hell do we know if he will be a good player or not. He has been thrown into a decimated backline with a team who's mids are too tired to chase and who's forwards just don't. I saw a situation where Buds opponent was on their HF line and Bud is still in our HF line. Fine if we get the ball back but at that time there was no hope of that he was handballing to a player in space. Lots of space. That is because the other player's opponent, one of our mids, was back on the wing sucking in big ones.

The ball is coming in so fast with so much overlap the backs have no chance. Even if they do get a man on man too many of our players fly leaving lots of opponents to clear the ball and kick goals. The backline is totally disorganised. We need someone to take responsibility and say 'just stick to your opponent'.

Veteran Site Admin
    Per Longmire's midweek press conference, published a short while ago on the Swans website, Sheather is out this week with a recurrence of the stress issues in his foot. McCartin won't play, Ladhams almost certainly will.

Wouldn't commit to Sheldrick coming in or not, but did say there were a couple who would come in from the VFL side (which I guess is self-evident seeing that we've lost three and only Ladhams is right to return).

With Ladhams coming in, it seems unlikely this will be the week that McAndrew debuts. So the two ins are probably going to be two of Sheldrick, Stephens and Melican, with Warner and Hall-Kahan maybe outside chances. I can't think of anyone else who is even a remote possibility.

"We've had 21 changes to our team this year" - Longmire

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast