Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Luke Parker suspension

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Just watched the highlights of our great win against Carlton again.

While I acknowledge that Parker's tackle probably warrants a week off, I cannot for the life of me see how his tackle is worse than Cerra's.
    The question I ask is....Did Walsh's head hit the ground? Given Hickey had time out for concussion not long back, he is darn lucky he doesn't have it again. His head bounced about a foot off the ground. How else does a man of Cerra's height get a man of Hickey's size to the ground, unless he uses a lot of force to swing him to the ground. The tribunal said he only had a light connection with his arms. What a load of old cobblers. It was as good a sling tackle as you get.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    So many of these "sling tackles" are the result of umpires failing to make a quick enough holding-the-ball decision.
    If the umpires actually pay the free for a good tackle, rather that pontificating for a subjective eternity on prior opportunity - there would be no need for players to further prosecute the tackle and bring their immobilised/impeded/tackled opponent to the ground.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 2nd June 2023 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Improving the Phraseology
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    So many of these "sling tackles" are the result of umpires failing to make a quick enough holding-the-ball decision.
    If the umpires actually pay the free for a good tackle, rather that pontificating for a subjective eternity on prior opportunity - there would be no need for players to further prosecute the tackle and bring their immobilised opponent to ground.
    Good point, but it's a fine line judging prior opportunity and not create situation where it's disadvantageous winning the ball if only to be immediately pinged.

Another umpiring mechanism tweak, is to not take an eternity calling a ball up in a pack situation can avoid these pack tackles.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Ditto. At the time I was astonished, and not a little p%$#@ed off Hickey didn’t get a free. It was a clear slinging motion.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
    Ah, no. You haven't taken account of the magic hair. Not only is it capable of creating optical illusions, it also acts like a whirring blade. A mere touch to Hickey's bicep is enough to set the hair in motion, creating a torque that sends the big man crashing to the ground. I mean, what is a player to do?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Ah, no. You haven't taken account of the magic hair. Not only is it capable of creating optical illusions, it also acts like a whirring blade. A mere touch to Hickey's bicep is enough to set the hair in motion, creating a torque that sends the big man crashing to the ground. I mean, what is a player to do?
    Yes, I'm sure that defence was the source of much post-tribunal amusement, over port and cigars at the old boys club.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456