Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roos' Coaching

Veterans List
    I hope the team and Roos aren't panicking as much as many posting on this board are. There has even been criticism that Paul Roos found some positives in the Dons match! Do you remember our pride last year that Roos coached the team by getting them to have a go? And to have some self belief.

Now we see our role in September as inevitable and every error is to be torn apart. We have just lost two tough matches against in-form teams. Yes there were player errors - and coaching errors - but there always will be. Go back and honestly view any game from last year and see how error riddled our performance was. I hoped we'd get better this year but I haven't seen any signs of it yet. And I don't think Roos would have been the first coach to be outwitted by Sheedy.

I love coming onto RWO for analysis and fellowship. If it's going to become a bitchfest, let's just all switch our allegiance to the Tigers (now there's a group of supporters that would eat their own). And we could bring in a coach who would do a much better job of yelling at his players than Roos could ever do. How about Rodney Eade - he's good (Goode?) at belittling players into submission?

Senior Player
    Originally posted by NMWBloods
    and we need to be more confident to run with the ball, get it moving and push it into our forward line much much quicker.
    That's the nailer for mine. I'd love to find out whether the possession game is a direct instruction from Roos or a result of that lack of confidence.
    Our forwards appear to be in very good form I think we should risk the odd contested kick to half forward knowing that the way Baz and co. are playing we are damn good chance of it going further and resulting in a goal.

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by Go Swannies
    I hope the team and Roos aren't panicking as much as many posting on this board are. There has even been criticism that Paul Roos found some positives in the Dons match! Do you remember our pride last year that Roos coached the team by getting them to have a go? And to have some self belief.

Now we see our role in September as inevitable and every error is to be torn apart. We have just lost two tough matches against in-form teams. Yes there were player errors - and coaching errors - but there always will be. Go back and honestly view any game from last year and see how error riddled our performance was. I hoped we'd get better this year but I haven't seen any signs of it yet. And I don't think Roos would have been the first coach to be outwitted by Sheedy.

Hear hear!

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Our forwards appear to be in very good form I think we should risk the odd contested kick to half forward knowing that the way Baz and co. are playing we are damn good chance of it going further and resulting in a goal.
    Great point. RWOers love to point out how strong our forward structure can be, and rightly so. Let's use it, not wait a dozen kicks to get it there.

(anticipating comments: I know it isn't always practical, but I would like to stop losing my voice shouting "just kick it!")
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by RogueSwan
    Great point. RWOers love to point out how strong our forward structure can be, and rightly so. Let's use it, not wait a dozen kicks to get it there.

(anticipating comments: I know it isn't always practical, but I would like to stop losing my voice shouting "just kick it!")
    Especially with some of the marks that BBB took on the weekend.

As to shouting "just kick it', my mum and I are serial offenders, causing my sister to block her ears constantly during a game.

Originally posted by floppinab
    That's the nailer for mine. I'd love to find out whether the possession game is a direct instruction from Roos or a result of that lack of confidence.
    We are 12th in I50s this year, so we don't really give our forwards enough opportunity. We were probably something similar last year, however I think our forward delivery last year was better (as was our kicking).

One interesting thing though is that we have the lowest level of I50s against us. Therefore, our opponents don't normally overwhelm us with a lot of I50s, but they seem to take their opportunities when they get them in there (as Melbourne did last week and Essendon again this week).

The efficiency of our opponents once they do get it in their F50 is probably a combination of our defence not working so well this year and also our midfielders not pressuring opponents who are delivering I50.

The last point is interesting as the opposition don't get a lot of I50 but when they do it is pretty good. I think that might have a lot to do with our possession game - the ball is controlled by us around the midfield a lot more than other teams do. The stats seem to support this as our games clearly see the least number of I50s in total per game on average. The competition average is 99 I50s per game, while in our games there are only 89 per game.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Re: sharp9

Originally posted by madswan
    you have no idea, how many times have you dropped a bead of sweat doing anything other than postig your crap
    Of course, sweating would make so much difference to my analysis...why didn't I think of that?

NMW where do you get such detailed stats from?

According to my memory of the HUN Hird had 7 clearances (although there seems to be discrepancies all over the place like Bevan being credited with 20 possessions in someplaces and 19 or 18 in others).

Hird had the first possession of each of the 3 Quarters (according to the commentators) I'll check the tape.

To look at the positives, for a team that is by far the worst (of the top 8 teams) at "getting the bloody ball" we certainly turn it into points pretty well

......logically if we could just improve this ONE thing (contested ball) we have a real shot. Straight kicking for goal would be another bonus.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Blog Entries
    I did notice Hird and Co. on there defensive side and our 3 on theirs too many times as well, and wondered why.

Another interesting Stat with Ess. that seems to happen year after year. the come out hard and score quickly after each break before tge other team has a chance to get their act together.

This was pointed out to me a few years ago and it happened again on Sat.

Another time, in the last qtr, hird to a mark in his D50, by hiding along the boundary line unnoticed by all. as soon as the ball was sent into our F50 he just stepped in for an uncontested mark.

Senior Player

Re: Re: sharp9

Originally posted by sharp9
    where do you get such detailed stats from?

Here are a couple of places I sometimes have a look at

http://www.prowess.com.au/pro-stats/

http://www.allthestats.com/

Originally posted by NMWBloods
    We are 12th in I50s this year, so we don't really give our forwards enough opportunity. We were probably something similar last year, however I think our forward delivery last year was better (as was our kicking).

One interesting thing though is that we have the lowest level of I50s against us. Therefore, our opponents don't normally overwhelm us with a lot of I50s, but they seem to take their opportunities when they get them in there (as Melbourne did last week and Essendon again this week).

The efficiency of our opponents once they do get it in their F50 is probably a combination of our defence not working so well this year and also our midfielders not pressuring opponents who are delivering I50.

The last point is interesting as the opposition don't get a lot of I50 but when they do it is pretty good. I think that might have a lot to do with our possession game - the ball is controlled by us around the midfield a lot more than other teams do. The stats seem to support this as our games clearly see the least number of I50s in total per game on average. The competition average is 99 I50s per game, while in our games there are only 89 per game.
    I suspect that your stats actually confirm what many of us seem to suspect, viz. the main differences between this year and last are

. rebounding from half-back, and
    . accuracy in front of goal.

Except when we had Williams and Healy on the ball, I can't remember a Swans team that regularly dominated at clearances. But in recent times we've been very good at chopping off the opposition at half-back and then quickly counter-attacking and setting up a shot at goal from a gettable position.

This method doesn't generate so many shots at goal, but hopefully gives more chance of converting opportunities.

This season we're still very good at chopping off the forward thrusts, but not nearly so good at rebounding . . . Barry, Kennelly, Maxfield and Williams all seem to be continually frustrated for one reason or another.

As well as injuries and closer marking from the opposition, I suspect we maybe using up our running defenders to cover a perceived weakness in our back line . . . and then, as Steve said, we ended up with the wrong team mix against the Bombers.

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC
    In the last two matches we frequently tapped cleanly to an opponent. If we agree that Jude Bolton is hardly in scintillating form, and Stewie who rotates through is not 100%, then our ability at bounces is not at it?s best.

Our running game needs the ability to tighten up too, we seem to lack that. Perhaps that?s where Cressa?s nous is missed?

When we did get any run on Saturday Dons locked it up, vs Melbourne our inability to stop that five/six goal run out of the centre lost us the game.
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

You cant never get the match-ups 100% right in any match. So go easy on Roosy. Even as bad as we have been, we are still in the top 8. Humans are probed to making errors, Roosey is no exception. What we hope for is that we have the better shares of the match-ups and that would normally win us games.

I think we pay too much respect to our opposition. Trying hard to negate them instead of playing to our strength. This is not only the players as a group but us the supporters too .
    I dont know which starts first but my instinct is that it fiddles from the supporters to the players somehow. My explanation of this is very much a lack of confidence and perhaps lack of feeling for the game. And if the supporters dont have confidence on our players, who else would.

There is absolutely no point going over and over the old games, digging it up just for the sake of it. We need to find a way forward.

Our main strength is the forward and thus it is critical to go long, direct and as quickly as possible to the forward whenever we have a chance. If our forward does not win their fair (expected) share of contested possessions, we would loose for most of the times anyway.

Our weakness is the midfield and i think it will be very difficult to fix. Jude Bolton lacks intelligence. He would be a decent second midfielder following a general but he is not and will never be the general that we desperately need in the midfield. He is probably getting ahead abit of himself with the self-glorified article few weeks back and I think he needs a reality check on himself and starts playing to his limit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast