Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Umpires V Barry Hall

if that's the case and they don't find footage somewhere that was being recorded for a kids show (sucko Holland) then He could be considered a very lucky boy. I was watching them as it happened and my immediate reaction was it was silly on BH's behalf.
    Here's my heart and you can break it
    I need some release, release, release
    We need
    Love and peace

That's twice you have said you SAW the incident Bam Bam.

Well, what happened?

Originally posted by BBB
    That's twice you have said you SAW the incident Bam Bam.

Well, what happened?
    You have the right to an attorney Bam Bam.

Anything you say will be taken down as evidence and used as evidence against you in court.

Fess up now.

Maintain your silence BAm Bam!!! Until next week anyway when it's all too late!

On the Rookie List
    Yeah driving once I recognised Goldspink going for a jog. I was VERY tempting to run him down.
    Onwards to Victory!

Hmm, Goldstink Stank AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A previous thread last week, some of us voiced our concerns about Goldstinks umpiring - I think our concerns were well and truly confirmed.

But thankfully we won, bring on the Saints - and hopefully we wont have the "stink" umpire us again next week.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Re: Umpires V Barry Hall

Originally posted by Nico
    Have got to say that their exhibition with regards to Barry Hall was indictable.

Didn't think they did too badly overall, but you just can't victimise one particular player.

He was poleaxed twice in the last quarter and I suspect held throughout the game, and 3 umpires chose to ignore any infringement to him. That hit in the face late in the game by Hargraves was unforgiveable. In fact both him and Grant had their eyes only for Hall.
    I know what you are saying, but Barry often spends most of his time venting his spleen at them. I know they are not giving him frees. But for him to be spending most of the match swearing at them, it is no wonder that they never give him one.

I know, it is a complete Catch 22. If they gave him frees, he wouldn't go off at them. But if he didn't go off at them, they give him more frees.

I watch Bazza every match and see stuff most TV viewers never see. If he just shut his gob, even when the umps are against him and worried more about chasing his man as they run the ball out of defence, he'd not just be a good footballer, but one of the stars of the league. (He often gets very lazy with his marking and goalkicking as well, hence tallies like the 1.4 he nabbed on Saturday night.)

I'll probably earn the ire of many on this list. But I still don't think Hall is blameless in all this. But we all agree he IS being treated differently to other players, that's for sure.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

Re: Re: Umpires V Barry Hall

Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
    I know what you are saying, but Barry often spends most of his time venting his spleen at them. I know they are not giving him frees. But for him to be spending most of the match swearing at them, it is no wonder that they never give him one.
    In the first quarter Barry failed to get a free he thought was due him.

After the play went to the other end, the umpire in question (#13) turned his back on the play, actually approached to within a few metres of Barry and seemed to be having an animated conversation with him, presumably explaining why he didn't get a free kick.

It wasn't on the replay, and I don't know what was said but the umpires behaviour was thought very unusual by the residents of the Bradman Stand.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 31st May 2004 at 05:25 PM.

Originally posted by j s
    Maintain your silence BAm Bam!!! Until next week anyway when it's all too late!
    that's what I've been thinking. Imagine if they hunted me down to give evidence against him
    Here's my heart and you can break it
    I need some release, release, release
    We need
    Love and peace

It wasn't on the replay, but in the first quarter Barry failed to get a free he thought was due him etc. etc..
    He was questioning the free to Koops for 'too high'.

All the commentators on the TV thought it was a clear-cut free, but I don't feel they took in all the evidence.

IF Koops was down over the ball and Hall came in and collected him, no problems with a free, but in this instance, Koops and Hall were both approaching a ball in space. Koops decided to 'lead with his head' for want of a better description.

You have to protect the man with his head over the ball, no question, but if a player is approaching a loose ball with another player coming from the other side and he ELECTS to duck his head as they both attempt to take possession, it seems unfair to the other player. Invariably it is the big guys who for obvious reasons don't get down as low as some that seem to incur these type of frees.

Go Swans Always
    In the game on Saturday - one of our umpires was seen chatting to Bulldogs Smith? when Buchanan was taking a free kick - even made Smith smile - makes one wonder what they say - they seem to be doing it all the time.
    Unfair when bulldogs had wronged - like as if they are saying it is okay only got a free - because this angle will not be good for Buchanan!!!!!
    Love those Swans

Some interesting stats from the top 8 big fowards this season. (I have excluded Matera and Milne both currently in top 10 as small forwards)

I'm no statistician, but I see a pattern here.

No. of free kicks conceded

1. Barry Hall 16
    2. Matthew Lloyd 13
    3. Brendan Fevola 13
    4. Fraser Gehrig 12
    5. Wayne Carey 12
    6. David Neitz 7
    7. Warren Tredrea 2
    8. Matthew Richardson 2

No. of free kicks won

1. Warren Tredrea 20 (FAAARKING 'ELL)
    2. Matthew Lloyd 16