Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive signs from training...

Veteran Site Admin

Positive signs from training...

...that the guys are psyching themselves up for a big one at the weekend.

Felt I had to bunk off work this afternoon to go see how the boys were shaping up. It was a very different session to the other Wednesday sessions I've been to.

Less focus on specific skills drills than normal. They spend the bulk of the session just running the length of the ground in one long drill - transferring the ball quickly, running in numbers, playing on immediately after taking a mark by handballing to a player running past, long kicking forward to a mark and then rebounding exactly the same way in the opposite direction.

Very very vocal session, including Roos who was standing in the centre barking out instructions and encouragement - normally you can't hear him say much at all. Lots of energy, lots of hard hard running and the skills looked sharp and focussed, despite the drizzling rain.

On the Rookie List
    St Kilda went to the movies because they are knackered.I want some of that $4.75.

On the Rookie List
    the guys are psyching themselves up for a big one at the weekend
    Thats how it has to be. We HAVE to come out firing with every player giving 110%, ala Port Qualifying Final! If we run out like this, they wont know what hit em. I have a feeling we will topple these guys.

On the Rookie List
    Lizz, how was Davis? did he train? will he play from what you saw/heard?

cheers

Veteran Site Admin
    Matty Davis trained, dropped a few balls, was OK but doubt he'll play this weekend

The Tree Is Out There treespirit's Avatar

Talking Re: Positive signs from training...

Originally posted by lizz
    ...that the guys are psyching themselves up for a big one at the weekend.
    I didn't think they were allowed to do that!

From a previous thread. You remember the one.......
    Originally posted by lizz
    I expect the team to do the best they possibly can everytime they run out in the Red and White. Sometimes it will be good enough, sometimes not but the idea of switching motivation on and off is anathma to me.
    Link

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Re: Re: Positive signs from training...

Originally posted by treespirit

Top marks for persistance!

Re: Re: Positive signs from training...

Originally posted by treespirit
    I didn't think they were allowed to do that!

From a previous thread. You remember the one.......

Link

Isnt it natural that you tend to psyche yourself up for the big games? Players think do it, the media focus on it more, and the fans turn up in droves - hence all the threads re crowd numbers. Of course we expect no less than the players giving their best each time they run out, but the showcase games have bigger buildups.

I guess thats why they talk of finals being completely different to the home and away season.

I don't think there is much difference in the player's preparations from week to week, but it is good to see Paul Roos focussed on the upcoming game.

A couple of times when we were losing, Roos was still talking about the previous match in the middle of the week - when he should have been concentrating on the next game. The best example was after the Bombers game when he was still commenting on the umpires on the Wednesday.

During the run of losses, Roos and the players were also making excuses about other teams having "figured us out" as a reason for losing games. They should have acknowledged that they were out of form and had become too scared to take the risks inherent in our game plan. For me, it seemed that it wasn't until we started winning again that they admitted to several players being out of form.

I think we will hammer the Saints in the first half but I am very worried about the second half.

Originally posted by Bayes30
    I think we will hammer the Saints in the first half but I am very worried about the second half.
    Swans at $16 to be 24+ at HT

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Originally posted by Bayes30
    That's assuming we play a good second quarter for a change!
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
    That's assuming we play a good second quarter for a change!
    we will. I have a solution (I think). I use one of those 4 colours in one pens to mark the goals in my record. The 2nd quarter is the green clolour. It will be abolished this weekend. I'll have two blue quarters (1st) instead.
    Here's my heart and you can break it
    I need some release, release, release
    We need
    Love and peace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast