Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: State Footy

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

State Footy

I was followed a url on another thread and found this article by Sheedy on state games.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/foo...E19742,00.html

It seems I'm not the only one to miss state games.

I think "The Allies" killed interstate football.

Does anyone else remember that night NSW beat the Vics at the SCG?

Could we do it again?

Hayes, Hird, Crawford, Davis, Hamill, Matthews, McVeighs, Barry, Kenneally, Schneider, Mooney, Stafford, Kirk, R Hall, Bevan?

On the Rookie List
    Forget state footy or play it after the season we get enough injurys without risking our players in a game that that has no bearing on the season.

Originally posted by Dpw
    Forget state footy or play it after the season we get enough injurys without risking our players in a game that that has no bearing on the season.
    A oft held alternate (I didn't say parochial) point of view.
    I guess that's why athough Aussie rules invented State of Origin, it died out, while it still goes great guns in League.

Living in 2005
    The Allies DID kill state footy for sure.

Tasmania is a small but very proud football state and we have Being teamed up with NSW/QLD/NT and ACT was embarrasing. We would rather lose by 100 to Victoria than put up with that. (Tassie like NSW have beaten the Vic B side, plus in 1960 beat the Big V's A side )

They should do an annual SA v VIC and WA V Tas.

The AFL's problem is that more than two states are competitive unlike in NRL.

Damien, you seem to forget that the AFL consider, rightly so, that NSW and Qld are AFL aware enough to be included in interstate fixtures. If it was true State of Origin, NSW would beat the Tassie team by 10 goals and then some.

The problem lies solely with the perception that the H & A competition is more important than interstate games and clubs and players (and a fair percentage of supporters) do not want the concept through fear of injury.

Nothing to do with the Allies. That's BS.

Because the culture of AFL has gone towards the emphasis of winning the flag over winning state of origin grudge matches, I dont think we can ever expect full strength state sides running around against each other in anger again.

I think a pretty exciting alternative would be state matches for under 23s or 25s. It is generally the older brigade that are carrying injuries throughout the year and take longer to recover, meaning they are less enthusiastic to make themselves available for the state matches. Getting teams of the young guns running around would be really exciting.
    Visit my eBay store -

10% off for mentioning RWO when you buy. Great Christmas presents!

On the Rookie List

Re: State Footy

Originally posted by Ruckman
    I was followed a url on another thread and found this article by Sheedy on state games.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/foo...E19742,00.html

It seems I'm not the only one to miss state games.

I think "The Allies" killed interstate football.

Does anyone else remember that night NSW beat the Vics at the SCG?

Could we do it again?

Hayes, Hird, Crawford, Davis, Hamill, Matthews, McVeighs, Barry, Kenneally, Schneider, Mooney, Stafford, Kirk, R Hall, Bevan?
    I was at the game when NSW beat VIC.If I can remember correctly Noah was outside selling tickets to get in the Ark it was that wet.Many people left wondering why Longmire and Carey weren't playing for the Swans.
    How sweet it was.

Re: Re: State Footy

Originally posted by Barry Schneider
    I was at the game when NSW beat VIC.If I can remember correctly Noah was outside selling tickets to get in the Ark it was that wet.Many people left wondering why Longmire and Carey weren't playing for the Swans.
    How sweet it was.
    I think Carey was declared a South Australian. But it was a good night ~ especially to see so many old-swans playing at home on the SCG.

I swa the game where we beat WA in 1988 as well and that too was enjoyable.

How would this NSW/ACT team look:

Schneider Hammil Staker
    Davis Mooney Hird
    Kennelly Hayes Mathews
    Barry C Bolton Blumfield
    M McVeigh Hall Bevan
    Stafford Kirk Crawford
    J McVeigh Playfair Fixter Henneman

Great midfield, solid forward line but a poor back 6. Couldn't find a spot for LRT.

Still I would love to see this team play.

Originally posted by Captain
    How would this NSW/ACT team look:

Schneider Hammil Staker
    Davis Mooney Hird
    Kennelly Hayes Mathews
    Barry C Bolton Blumfield
    M McVeigh Hall Bevan
    Stafford Kirk Crawford
    J McVeigh Playfair Fixter Henneman

Great midfield, solid forward line but a poor back 6. Couldn't find a spot for LRT.

Still I would love to see this team play.
    Room for Justin Koschitzke, Ryan Houlihan & Dean Solomon ?

Originally posted by Bart
    Room for Justin Koschitzke, Ryan Houlihan & Dean Solomon ?
    Gee there a few names that would be pretty handy.

I did it off the top of my head, so I forgot them.

Living in 2005
    Originally posted by BBB
    Damien, you seem to forget that the AFL consider, rightly so, that NSW and Qld are AFL aware enough to be included in interstate fixtures. If it was true State of Origin, NSW would beat the Tassie team by 10 goals and then some.

The problem lies solely with the perception that the H & A competition is more important than interstate games and clubs and players (and a fair percentage of supporters) do not want the concept through fear of injury.

Nothing to do with the Allies. That's BS.
    I don't think that any hype what so ever would be created for NSW v QLD in an AFL State of Origin series, unless of course you played it in Wagga or somewhere.

Tasmania was on a high for ages after beating the Vic's in the early nineties - I am not sure how many NSW people care or remember about the blues victory.

Origin needed a sustainable tradition, and mixing up games between WA, Vic, SA and something called the Allies was never going to work.

(And don't be so confident about NSW killing Tasmania - some great names for NSW at the moment, but Tasmania for a population the size of Newcastle, don't do to badly at all!! We would have a great forward line - plus maybe even Nick Reiwodlt might be available for us over QLD, not sure when his family left Tasmania.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast