Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ablett coming of age

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The important thing for Luke is that he has now strung together two decent games, hopefully he can put in another good game against Adelaide.

Veteran Site Admin
    Given that one of our (occasional) criticisms of several of the midfield is their kicking forward, Ablett's kicking skills could become very important for the team, especially when the likes of Maxfield and Williams have moved on. He has a lot of penetration in his long kicking and, now that his confidence is up, he is making some good decisions as well. Back in that game against the Doggies he hit a player on the chest in the forward 50 four times, so he's starting to do it consistently.

On the Rookie List
    Iam his biggest critic, and he has played his best footy to date but look at the teams hes done it aganist so I will reserve my judgement untill he puts on the aboard aganist another top 8 side

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Dpw
    Iam his biggest critic, and he has played his best footy to date but look at the teams hes done it aganist so I will reserve my judgement untill he puts on the aboard aganist another top 8 side
    I think that is a little unfair. Carlton aren't a top 8 side but they do have a pretty decent midfield and that is where Luke was running.

I am also critical of Ablett. His biggest and probably only concern is his ability to find the football, he runs to the wrong spots and does not read the play well. Today he played on a proven ball getter in Scotland and was lead to the ball which was fantastic. Meant he was then able to use his disposal to advantage.

Seems that in order for him to survive on our list he is going to need to be a run with player so he can be lead to the ball until he learns. That will mean concentration and increased fitness is going to be vital.

Hopefully he will be given some more run with roles in the next couple of weeks to see if he is up to it.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Originally posted by Dpw
    Agreed...

Although clearly his best-ever game today, a good contributor for some of the game...

but a player "comes of age" when he puts together a good season or two rather than a good half of football.

Next he'll be labelled a "champion" if/when he strings two good games together...
    Last edited by Bear; 4th July 2004 at 07:17 PM.
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12