Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Swans' flighty win leads to September doubts

Veterans List
    Originally posted by Mike_B
    Agree that the effort/talent thing is a bit off the mark, but his general theme is pretty spot on. We don't have a plan B when conditions/opponents dictate that we are unable to play a running game. Againts a team that had a few more options up forward we may well have come off 5 goal losers considering the number of turnovers.

Unfortunately we aren't of the quality where we can have one plan only and execute it no matter the opposition/conditions. We've seen this already this season, and really, if opponents aren't wise to this and trying to exploit it, they aren;t doing a good job.
    Another reporter in the Herald Sun said we did have a Plan B. When the chips were down Doyle went to the ruck, Bevan to the Forward line, we got first use of the ball out of the centre, game over. Dur Rohan.

Our problem is winning enough games to get in the 8. Hard run home for mine.

Regular in the Side
    Originally posted by robbieando
    we aren't winning pretty at the moment
    i think this is about the size of it. we're winning ugly and playing with grit with injuries constantly upsetting the makeup of the team. six weeks ago we were losing ugly against worse teams.

things are coming together. if the team can get settled in the next two week we are going to make a big impact over july and august and be a team to watch the month after that.

Originally posted by Barry Schneider
    I think the Collingwood game was a finals game.As Roos said it was Collingwoods grandfinal.They knew if they lost that game their finals aspirations were over and they played tough.They have played in the last two grand finals and although they are having a poor year I think it was a better win than people give the Swans credit.
    Carlton also saw this game as a mini final and even though they missed some key players they made it hard and we still won.
    Both Collingwood and Carlton were desperate and we still won.
    The problem with these faux finals matches during the year is that opposition pretends it's a finals match because it is not capable of making the finals. Sure you can argue quite reasonably that it has more pressure than a normal match, yet I doubt if it is to the same level of competition as a finals match.
    I don't think our style of play is a problem.We only chip when there isn't a running option.When there is we have players who stream through the corridor and kick to Barry Hall.Our main problem is we handpass once too often to a player in a poor position.
    Yep - I agree.
    Our problem as some people have pointed out is that we raise our intensity and skill level against the better teams and lower it against the poorer teams(how did we lose to Richmond?)
    We do that - not all the time, but often - which is disappointing as we should not lower our standards so much against weaker opposition.
    With players coming back from injury and teams above us faltering we could even make the 4.
    Our style of play in the finals last year saw us 1 bad quarter away from a grand final.
    Our style of play and potential gives us the ability to be a real challenger in September. However, if we were playing a bit better during the year, we would have a better springboard for the finals.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Veterans List
    Originally posted by NMWBloods

Our style of play and potential gives us the ability to be a real challenger in September. However, if we were playing a bit better during the year, we would have a better springboard for the finals.
    So true. However, of the teams above us, the only ones who have had a worse (or similar) run with injury than we have are Port and the Lions. It's no surprise that they have better depth than us. It's been a surprise that we have fared as well as we have. I'd prefer to be a win or two ahead but my next choice would be building towards the finals rather than fading at this time of the year as some seem to be.

And everyone keeps asking how we lost to the Tigers. They had just got Richo back and he was playing very well (for a change). And the conditions suited them (or the rain didn't suit us). And when Richmond lifted the Swans just gave up. Recently they appear to be in a better mindset - or they aren't going into any games they simply expect to win. Good thing as we have no easy games to come - including Richmond in R22.

the swans play better against better teams.... and we won ... lets just get to the finals then worry how well we go in them

perhaps a prelim last year has left us marked too hard by the media.

I think we can and hope we win this years flag! but in reality we are still builiding up and maybe are looking to the lower 8 this year and 2005-2007 is the period we can take a flag in
    Theres not much left to say

This article concerns me as it does not seem to make sense.

Before last year Rohan clearly stated that Sydney would finish last and that we had too few stars and a thin list to do anything.

Roos develops a game plan that makes the most of the limited talent he has at his disposal, which has at it's core numbers around the ball, quick in close handball to release a player and then carry the ball quickly forward using our leg speed.

This is now seen by Rohan in his infiniate wisdom as flightly football, that won't win us games in final's intensity football?

What really struck me as weird is that Sydney are the #1 stoppers in the league in restricting players effectiveness and scoring, just the kind of football that wins you finals games (ie last qtr v Pies & Blues).

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

"I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Veterans List
    Originally posted by sharp9
    Is that existential, minimalist or pointilistic?

On the Rookie List
    As Roosy said, the win on Saturday was as good as he has been involved with as a coach for a H&A match.

I tend to agree.
    No.1 ticket holder of Nick Davis Fan Club...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123