Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barry Halls got 48 goals

Banned indefinitely by Moderators for posting totally inappropriate material

Barry Halls got 48 goals

Barry Halls got 48 goals

This might be a bit of a thrill for the statisticians amoungst us , or for those having a punt on the Brownlow Meldal. But it is a little bit disturbing to those who think that we were becomming too predictable under the old regime that R.Eade had in Place...

Last year seemed to be a vast improvment on that, with the Swans having many contributors to the goal kisking cause.

I do not in anyway wish to devalue Barry's contribution, in the same way I enjoyed Pluggers, I think Barry is fantastic, but I am concerned that we may becomming a little too predictable when it comes to evenues to goal. Let me remind you that the next closest Goal kicker is Mick- who only has 14.

On the Rookie List

Re: Barry Halls got 48 goals

Originally posted by footyhead
    Barry Halls got 48 goals

This might be a bit of a thrill for the statisticians amoungst us , or for those having a punt on the Brownlow Meldal. But it is a little bit disturbing to those who think that we were becomming too predictable under the old regime that R.Eade had in Place...

Last year seemed to be a vast improvment on that, with the Swans having many contributors to the goal kisking cause.

I do not in anyway wish to devalue Barry's contribution, in the same way I enjoyed Pluggers, I think Barry is fantastic, but I am concerned that we may becomming a little too predictable when it comes to evenues to goal. Let me remind you that the next closest Goal kicker is Mick- who only has 14.
    Don't be concerned. How was Mick, Schneides and Nick Davis going to kick them from the stands?

I'd like to see Jude, Kirky, ROK, Maxy and co kick a few more but as we get back our key guys with form, we should see a change to that stat!

'Ope so Mr, otherwise I'll be askin' for your 'ead.

On the Rookie List
    did someone say kick it to coleman?

I don't agree.

Ease up on the goals there, eh Barry ?

Plenty of teams get most goals from their CHF. Tredrea at Port, Carey at Kangaroos are two that spring to mind. It is no coincidence that 5 out of 6 clubs whose goalkickers are in the top 6 this season are clubs that are vying for a spot in the top 4.

Besides Davis has only played in 7 games and some of those were cameo appearances. He's only been right for one half of football the whole year (and he kicked 4 goals), and Mick has played 8, many of which he hasn't been fully fit either, but without him we would have lost against the Pies. So without our number 2 and 3 forwards on the park for a lot of the time, there is going to be added responsibility on Barry.

Barry was recruited to kick goals not share it around with his teammates.

His teammates should be providing him with quality diposals. It @@@@ me no end with some of the disposals to him in the first quarter last week by Williams, Nicks, Bolton end co. when they missed him by a country mile. He could have had 8 or 9.

I did notice though, on Saturday that relatively short (30-40 metre) passes from th corridor nearly always went to Barry who several times was 4 on 1 by the (short) time the ball got there. There MUST have been another Swan leading the other way all on his lonesome (matter of fact there was one occassion I clearly remember when Jude was all alone 40 out waving his arms and was not seen - by ROK if memory serves) Bevan, I remember clearly, also put Bazz under enormous pressure a few times.

Interestingly the player you might most expect to be in the created space (Nicks) was one who DID deliver for the others into the less expected places. Unfortunately his excellently thought out kicks JUST missed their mark (plus Bazza dropped one).

When you consider that Nicks is our most accurate kick (not counting the injured Davis and Bevansy, of course.....4 from 4) you would imagine that Roosey is telling his midfielders to look for him before they bomb to Barry in a pack.

In theory it's perfect, either Barry is clear on the lead or Micky/Nicksy/Doylesy would be left one out (at worst) near the goal square.

PS I noticed we were out crumbed regularly at marking contests (other than in our own fifty...even then they scored 4 goals from crumbs....even French FFS!). Looking forward to this being addressed.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Criticising a key forward for kicking too many goals?

Hmm.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

I didn't see any sign of criticism of Hall in the initial post.

I noticed during the game that the players were very Hall conscious, and at times preferred to pass to him than O'Loughlin, even when he was not in the best position.

This is something they need to be wary of, although it is understandable at the moment when our forward line isn't full strength.

Over-reliance on a single key forward can be a problem though - we need output from other forwards and midfielders.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Originally posted by Charlie
    Criticising a key forward for kicking too many goals?

Hmm.
    Read the post after yours Charlie and wise up .
    I made it very clear that I was not having a go at Bazza.
    But I am having a go at you son. Isn't it time you respected your elders ?? especially those who are almost old enough to be your great - Grandfather ??

Originally posted by NMWBloods

Over-reliance on a single key forward can be a problem though - we need output from other forwards and midfielders.
    Esp if Barry is double (or triple) teamed and loose players are presenting options and not receiving the ball.

I still like the idea of a strong CHF though. It's simple and usually works well.
    "My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

Originally posted by NMWBloods
    I didn't see any sign of criticism of Hall in the initial post.

I noticed during the game that the players were very Hall conscious, and at times preferred to pass to him than O'Loughlin, even when he was not in the best position.

This is something they need to be wary of, although it is understandable at the moment when our forward line isn't full strength.

We certainly need goals from as many sources as possible, but I think it unlikely that the players will ever stop looking for Hall at every opportunity.

It's surely the game plan to look for Hall first, and deliver to him if there's any chance of him marking within range. I suspect that any team member who consistently ignored Hall would soon find himself playing in the ACT.

The other forwards are well aware of that . . . and frequently lead away from the ball to free up space for Hall to run into.

Plus, a midfielder breaking out of a pack under pressure just doesn't have time to weigh up all the options . . . much easier to simply aim for Hall's boof-head!

The predictability of this is not a problem all the time Hall is playing so well. The real issue is that we can't get O'Loughlin and Davis on the park enough to leverage Hall's efforts into big scores.

Originally posted by footyhead
    Read the post after yours Charlie and wise up .
    I made it very clear that I was not having a go at Bazza.
    But I am having a go at you son. Isn't it time you respected your elders ?? especially those who are almost old enough to be your great - Grandfather ??
    Sorry - didn't read your post correctly. I still think it's a little silly to look at a player in career best form and suggest that their contribution is somehow a negative sign. But fair enough - my apologies.

However - respect is not something that comes automatically with age. I'll respect ANYBODY on this board who posts consistently well. Irrespective of age.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast