Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Key Defender

Regular in the Side
    Originally posted by daniel f
    so to please you mate i will no linger post.
    now that is regrettable. i happen to disagree with most of what you're saying, but only after your comments made me think about a few issues.
    doyle is a tall, tall man. this alone makes him worth persevering with. i think the freo match was one of the best he's played and definitely the best this year.
    capable ruckman are extremely rare beasts so you have to be very lucky and quite clever to do well in trades. robbie's right, you should never trade with essendon.
    what's the story with stafford? is he still bitter? with the absolute certainty of a revolution down at tigerland is there no chance he might want to come back home? the tigers are going to give away a lot for first-round picks this year.
    even though it didn't end well with ricky mott, i believe that the country is awash with 6'6+ men that were un-coordinated fools 3-5 years ago and were never a chance in the draft. scouring the minor leagues may not yield brilliance, but i reckon there's a lot of good ordinary players out there. basketball should be plundered more as well. i think both of these avenues are better than spending quality draft picks on 5-year prospects.

Originally posted by timthefish
    now that is regrettable. i happen to disagree with most of what you're saying, but only after your comments made me think about a few issues.
    doyle is a tall, tall man. this alone makes him worth persevering with. i think the freo match was one of the best he's played and definitely the best this year.
    capable ruckman are extremely rare beasts so you have to be very lucky and quite clever to do well in trades. robbie's right, you should never trade with essendon.
    what's the story with stafford? is he still bitter? with the absolute certainty of a revolution down at tigerland is there no chance he might want to come back home? the tigers are going to give away a lot for first-round picks this year.
    even though it didn't end well with ricky mott, i believe that the country is awash with 6'6+ men that were un-coordinated fools 3-5 years ago and were never a chance in the draft. scouring the minor leagues may not yield brilliance, but i reckon there's a lot of good ordinary players out there. basketball should be plundered more as well. i think both of these avenues are better than spending quality draft picks on 5-year prospects.
    Yep have concluded im taking things just a bit to serious and i apologise for that.Must say as someone who is long term unemployed,i struggle to come up with memberhip money let alone reserved seating for each game and after pouring my heart and what cash i have in to the club for as long as i can remember it just gets so damn frustrating when year after year theres always another problem\exscuse as to why we arent going to win the big one.I like the Stafford idea and would love to see him back at the club but as someone will probably post i have no idea of what his contract etc is with tigers.Also Brissie seem to have a glut of good tall men would love a Charman\Keating or Mcdonald.
    daniel f

Originally posted by Scottee
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Doyle in the ruck in the last quarter against the Dockers when we started to get the centre clearances and kicked a number in a row?

And wasn't it Ball who came back and the tide turned to the Docker's?
    I have watched this again - Doyle had absolutely no influence on the short comeback in the last quarter.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by daniel f
    Yep have concluded im taking things just a bit to serious and i apologise for that.Must say as someone who is long term unemployed,i struggle to come up with memberhip money let alone reserved seating for each game and after pouring my heart and what cash i have in to the club for as long as i can remember it just gets so damn frustrating when year after year theres always another problem\exscuse as to why we arent going to win the big one.I like the Stafford idea and would love to see him back at the club but as someone will probably post i have no idea of what his contract etc is with tigers.Also Brissie seem to have a glut of good tall men would love a Charman\Keating or Mcdonald.
    And they need them.Keating only plays in finals while the rest are always injured.Poor Brennan had to be put in the ruck for one game and his first ruck contest ended in very sore ribs.
    I think Hille is worth looking at.He is mobile and can take a mark in the forward line.His confidence is shot to bits thanks to the recruitment of Allan.
    Although the 11th commandment states"though shalt not trade with Essendon" I think Sheedy might be desperate to get some speedier players to the club after his midfield has been shown up this year and people are questioning his reappointment for 3 years.
    Doyle's form is reminding me of a patch J Madden had when he lost total confidence in his overhead marking.It is painful to watch.Doyle gets his hands on plenty of pack marks but just can't hold them.He has shown in the past he can take those marks.
    As to key defenders would Staker of West Coast be of interest?He played down back against Port and the Weagles seem to have quite a few young big players

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Originally posted by DST

So we all need to shut about Doyle, give him time to string 15 to 25 games together and hope to god that he can play the consistent football that we all know he is capable of.

DST
    Agree with this. Have another look at his game against the Kangas earlier this year. He needs to put that sort of play together consistently. To do that he needs time and confidence. Let's give him time and let Roosy give him the confidence.
    And I still think LRT is going to be a top tall defender.
    Last edited by dimelb; 28th July 2004 at 12:10 AM.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123