Thread: Bobby Skilton

Bobby Skilton

Hi Guys,

I'm after information on Bob Skilton for a school project. I know his basic stats but does anyone know when he played his last game for south melbourne and who it was against?

Thanks

P.S. Who said Brisbane were tough?? haha

Blog Entries
    http://home.vicnet.net.au/~basiced3/...gends/bob.html

you could try Jim Mains book : Plugger and the mighty swans, has some player info in there. I have a copy if you want some info from PM me.

There is also a encyclopedia available from the swans, that could help.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks for that, I think I know someone with that book so I'll have a look.

On the Rookie List

Re: Bobby Skilton

Originally posted by FightingSwan
    Hi Guys,

I'm after information on Bob Skilton for a school project. I know his basic stats but does anyone know when he played his last game for south melbourne and who it was against?

Thanks

P.S. Who said Brisbane were tough?? haha
    Ring the Melbourne office, visit the afl website, go to any library and look through the sports section....

The Chimp won three brownlows, the best Swans players ever and regularly voted in the best three players of all time therefore, there should be a plethora of information out there on Bob Skilton.

Although, Skilton was way too modest to write an autobiography or even agree to a biography regarding his sporting career.

I do know for fact, from Bobby's mouth himself, that he threw away his B & F's and Brownlows after his son died tragically in a car accident in the early seventies and some years later they were returned to him after a scavenger collected them from the tip and handed the awards and medals back !!

Thought you might be interested......

Senior Player
    I remember the game because I was there. It was the first semi-final against StKilda in 1971 (the Swans finished 4th). He played in the Forward Pocket and I believe he got 14 kicks (which was very poor by his standards).

This was the only final he played in during his career at the Swans. This was under the great coach Norm Smith.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

That clears up a myth I had, my uncle said he played on Skilton in his last match. But that wasn't a South V St.Kilda final. Maybe he ment that it was his last match.

Surprisingly there's not too much info on Skilton on the net but the gaps I needed have been filled.

Cheers

On the Rookie List
    Who was your uncle ???
    Bring back G Bennett !

Originally posted by Scottee
    I remember the game because I was there. It was the first semi-final against StKilda in 1971 (the Swans finished 4th). He played in the Forward Pocket and I believe he got 14 kicks (which was very poor by his standards).

This was the only final he played in during his career at the Swans. This was under the great coach Norm Smith.
    That wasn't his last game because that game was in 1970, while Skilton retired in 1971. Unfortunately, the Swans fell to last in '71, sending Skilts out with a wooden spoon.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

On the Rookie List
    after he retired from south melbourne 1971, he and ron barassi played in the vfa for port melbourne in 1972 ian collins (carlton president ) was coaching port melbourne

Originally posted by Hitman44
    Who was your uncle ???
    Bill Nunn, he played for North in the early 70's. Finding info on his playing career is near impossible lol.