Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outcoached?

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Outcoached?

In the PM interview Laidley mentioned that a friend had given him a tip about changing the forward structure at the beginning of the last quarter. We know what happened then. And Archer mentioned it this morning on TFS. So why didn't all those football brains in the box seat not respond?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the Rookie List
    I didn't hear the interview but it was obvious the Kangas played short except for Rocca for alot of the game but in the last quarter they stacked their forward line with all their talls in Hale, Petrie Rocca,McKernan.I thought they would have done it earlier but it worked to the minute.

Re: Outcoached?

Originally posted by dimelb
    In the PM interview Laidley mentioned that a friend had given him a tip about changing the forward structure at the beginning of the last quarter. We know what happened then. And Archer mentioned it this morning on TFS. So why didn't all those football brains in the box seat not respond?
    Don't know about being out coached Dimelb.

Knowing now what we know of the tragic circumstances in the last quarter, I am don't think Roos was in the right frame of mind to make any changes.

While the commentators kept referring to how calm he looked, he was just staring into space thinking of other things rather than football. And who could blame him.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

In hindsight it was a real 'Please God, just get to the end of this game' kind of look.

He indeed did look like a man just staring into space. Who knows what was happening in the heads of him and others in the box who were obviously privy to the seriousness of what was unfolding on the bench.

I was only commenting to someone during the course of the match how useless Rocca had always been against us and how all you would need in Dunkley to come on and for Sav's 'Pavlov 's Dog' reaction to be to run straight to the interchange bench.

But he turned it around and became a marking option.

I've never really had much time for him but that shows character.

You could see when the siren went and he held the ball how much it meant to him.

ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenn's Avatar
    I guess it is only human nature to be affected by the tragedy that happened in one way or another. If it didn't happen would the Swans have held out the Roos? whose knows, it is all hypothetical but to my way of thinking what happend did affect all the coaching staff and players.
    Not much that can be done now, just bond together even more and bounce back against the Dees, who will be smarting after the touch up Port gave them
    Premiers 09,18,33,05

"You Irish Twit", Quote attributed to a RWO member who shall remain nameless.

Senior Player

Re: Outcoached?

Outplayed.

Living in 2005
    Always hard to know if a coach is outcoached.

I guess last night there didn't seem to be anything specific - move wise or play wise, it was just good old momentum and North finally kicking straight.

Roos couldn't stop it with his coaching - but whether it was something Laidley did that Roos couldn't combat, I am unsure, I am going to go with simply being outplayed.

I would really like to hear honestly from the Club how the events that took place in the last quarter effected our players/coach/runners etc. We are all summising that the effect was major. But we don't really know. I can only imaging that the Captain running off to the bench into the turmoil that was unfolding would have had a dramatic effect.

In hindsight the game should have been stopped so the players could have re grouped and it may have put Nth off their game as well. But in the end does it really matter.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The problems were evident long before the tragedy on the bench. I am sad for Wally and his family, and I'll put it on the appropriate thread, but our problem with the game happened earlier. We should have acted sooner.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I'm SO over the swans! swan_song's Avatar
    I wonder who the friend was! On ABC news radio, Rocket often mentioned the bad Roos set-up with three forwards starting out of the goal square, and nothing much ahead. He suggested leaving Roca in the square and moving the other two out to more traditional flankers, somewhere between forward pocket and half forward flank on the smaller SCG., and thus to go shorter. Maybe it was he...
    "Davis...Davis has kicked 2...he snaps from 40...dont tell me, dont tell me, hes kicked a goal....unbelievable stuff from Nick Davis, can you believe this, he's kicked 3 final quarter goals and Swans are within 3 points..."

Living in 2005
    Originally posted by swan_song
    I wonder who the friend was! On ABC news radio, Rocket often mentioned the bad Roos set-up with three forwards starting out of the goal square, and nothing much ahead. He suggested leaving Roca in the square and moving the other two out to more traditional flankers, somewhere between forward pocket and half forward flank on the smaller SCG., and thus to go shorter. Maybe it was he...
    Rockets final revenge hey.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast