Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corey Jones' Goal

Senior Player

Corey Jones' Goal

I may be mistaken, but when Corey Jones played on from outside the boundary line shouldn't there have been a throw-in (ie playing on , out of play?).

I'm sure it's happened to BBH in the past. Has the interpretation changed?
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Blog Entries
    Can't find it, but there is another thread where this is discussed.

It is a confusing rule, but you don't have to run in a straight line from behind a mark. I mean he could a passed it off to another player by not kicking over the mark. This is legal. I'll try and find the rule about this.

Blog Entries
    16.5 DISPOSAL ? FROM OUT OF BOUNDS
    16.5.1 When Permitted
    A Player who is awarded a Free Kick or a Mark may bring the football into play from beyond the Boundary Line provided that the Player moves in one direction whilst in the act of Kicking, Handballing or moving to cross the Boundary Line. If the Player changes direction whilst he or she is still beyond the Boundary Line, the field Umpire shall call Play On and the boundary Umpire shall signal Out of Bounds.

As long as jones ran in the one direction, which he did, it was legal.

Hope this clears up your concerns.

Senior Player
    Thanks ScottH. I have to say that if we have such pathetically drafted rules as this it's no wonder that the game isn't even fully national, let alone international.

I defy anyone not familiar with the game to understand the intent. Then I defy anyone familiar with the game to explain the intent to any other reasonable person. Absolute gibberish!!!

The rule we should be looking at is who should have taken the kick, i beleive it is the closest player to the ball. Am i wrong?

Originally posted by Scottee
    Thanks ScottH. I have to say that if we have such pathetically drafted rules as this it's no wonder that the game isn't even fully national, let alone international.

I defy anyone not familiar with the game to understand the intent. Then I defy anyone familiar with the game to explain the intent to any other reasonable person. Absolute gibberish!!!
    Seems very straight-forward to me... simply run directly back into the field of play and you are ok.
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

On the wing
    Originally posted by Bear
    Seems very straight-forward to me... simply run directly back into the field of play and you are ok.
    Surely the kicker should have to kick over the mark - without deviation - UNTIL he gets into the field of play (i.e over the line). I still cannot reconcile that a player who is out of bounds can play on while he is still out of bounds!-despite what the rule says!

Senior Player
    QUOTE] Surely the kicker should have to kick over the mark - without deviation - UNTIL he gets into the field of play (i.e over the line). I still cannot reconcile that a player who is out of bounds can play on while he is still out of bounds!-despite what the rule says!

Agree Nolie,

what is the point of the rule? It says you can deviate from the line, but, hey, thats OK as long as you do it in a straight line! So the only time it's not OK is if you deviate in a curve???!!!

Can anyone tell me why you would differentiate.?Deviation is deviation. Either you should be able to play on or you shouldn't. The rule does nothing but obscure the intention.This is the sort of crap that is holding the game back, and also in my opinion giving far to much power and responsibility to the men in white/green/orange/yellow who are able to put their own spin on it.

I'm not sure what the fuss is - I thought what Jones did was perfectly fine and what you normally see from the boundary line when someone plays on.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by NMWBloods
    I'm not sure what the fuss is - I thought what Jones did was perfectly fine and what you normally see from the boundary line when someone plays on.
    Agree.I thought the only controversy was that he wasn't entilted to take the kick as he wasn't the closest player to the infringement.

Senior Player

Aside from the basic issue of the confusion the rule creates, the issue for me is that I have seen the ball taken off BBH for the same thing in the past.

Originally posted by Scottee
    Aside from the basic issue of the confusion the rule creates, the issue for me is that I have seen the ball taken off BBH for the same thing in the past.
    Hall lost the ball on the occasion I remember because he ran off his line, then hesitated and took a step back. You can't do that - once you start off your line OOB you have to keep going.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast