Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Shane Crawford

Originally posted by Dave
    Being an ex-Finley person I can tell you that as well as Crawf going through our school we also had Bernard Toohey, David Murphy, Leon Higgins, Bill Brownless, Tim Powell (Richmond) as well as Kram, Whit and Janet from Spiderbait!
    and yet they still can't beat Nathalia
    Once was, now elsewhere

A Blood to the bootstraps The Boot's Avatar
    20 minutes walk to my seat on O'Reilly wing.
    Originally posted by ROK Lobster
    Nothing remotely conclusive but Mark is sure it is Crawf. Already has him wearing number 8... What number would we put him in?
    14????
    Good men do good deeds. Evil men do evil deeds. But it takes religion for a good man to do evil deeds.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by The Boot
    14????
    Big Call Boot. How about 10 more than that

A Blood to the bootstraps The Boot's Avatar
    20 minutes walk to my seat on O'Reilly wing.
    Big Call Boot. How about 10 more than that
    Jeez Loueeze ... and I thought I was stirring the pot!!!!!!
    Good men do good deeds. Evil men do evil deeds. But it takes religion for a good man to do evil deeds.

Originally posted by robbieando
    and yet they still can't beat Nathalia
    Ah, the poor old Cats!
    "My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

On the wing
    Originally posted by SimonH

Here's the history of players drafted/traded who had achieved at least a little something at their old club, but were (known to be) over the hump in their careers, put into 3 categories:

Failures: Rudi Mandemaker*, Paul Hawke (in 1991), Phil Krakouer, Richard Osborne, John Hutton, Brad Hardie (!), Dermie, Shannon Corcoran, Scott Russell, Brett Allison, Stephen Tingay, Nick Daffy.

* There's a slight typo on RWO where they call him 'Mandemacher'; and sure, he wasn't that old in 1988, but big Rudi was over the hump after about the 2nd season he played footy. I cacked myself when I found out that Sydney recruited him!

Another inexplicable drafting disaster which I never understood and which thankfully never came to fruition was Tony McGuiness from the Adelaide Crows. It wasn't an actual draft but a "promise to draft". MCGuiness never actually was drafted. SS eventually had to give him a financial settlement. To me he was an irritating little b......d and he was over the hill when Sydney were going to pick him up.
    I think he had been dumped by Adelaide (Blight?). I don't think he was picked up by any other club and I don't think he played at AFL level again. Maybe he played a season with Western Bulldogs. I can't remember but I do know he was a sour-puss at the time and blamed Sydney for his position, or lack thereof, at the time and they had to pay-out.
    The folly of going for reputation- especially for these small blokes.

Originally posted by Nolie
    Another inexplicable drafting disaster which I never understood and which thankfully never came to fruition was Tony McGuiness from the Adelaide Crows. It wasn't an actual draft but a "promise to draft". MCGuiness never actually was drafted. SS eventually had to give him a financial settlement. To me he was an irritating little b......d and he was over the hill when Sydney were going to pick him up.
    I think he had been dumped by Adelaide (Blight?). I don't think he was picked up by any other club and I don't think he played at AFL level again. Maybe he played a season with Western Bulldogs. I can't remember but I do know he was a sour-puss at the time and blamed Sydney for his position, or lack thereof, at the time and they had to pay-out.
    The folly of going for reputation- especially for these small blokes.
    We promised to draft him in the 1997 Pre Season Draft, but just before the draft the AFL told us we didn't have the room in the salary cap to pay him what we promised, so instead we took John Stevens with our pick and McGuiness never got picked up and thus never played again.
    Once was, now elsewhere

On the wing
    We promised to draft him in the 1997 Pre Season Draft, but just before the draft the AFL told us we didn't have the room in the salary cap to pay him what we promised, so instead we took John Stevens with our pick and McGuiness never got picked up and thus never played again.
    Ahh ... memories. You are so right.Thank heavens for that! He would have been a crab.

Put him in the failure list.

so instead we took John Stevens with our pick
    Much wiser move

I did not know Spiderbait were from Finley but I'd reckon Mark does (I bet they turn a few heads when they go home). I could be being taken for a ride here - time will tell. I knew Crawf was from Finley. There have been a few others too I think. Gerrard Healy? John Barnes?
    Finley high school had a reunion back in the late 90's about the time of spiderbaits peak, and most people barely registered they were there. Country towns are a great leveller. Plus the 'bait arent really mainstream.

I dont think Gerrard Heally was from Finley.
    Barnes was from somewhere like Cobram (?). Billy Brownless from Jerilderie, Leon Higgins from Tocumwal (I think), and David Murphy on lived a couple of years in Finley.
    But all expect Barnes went to Finley High School including Alan Jeans.

Originally posted by cressakel
    Dean McRae was a BIG FAILURE and not " Call it square " whereas Kevin Dyson was very underated and even though he played for only two seasons, I would classify Dyson under " Successess ".
    Agree that Dyson was underrated, but he also didn't really care much for the club, IIRC. I seem to recall he spent much of his last season living and working in Melbourne rather than playing for Sydney.

As for McRae, I thought he was a quite useful half back/midfielder - indeed, one of our best players in '94. 70 games is not what I'd call a "failure" - unless they come from Jason Daniels or Andrew Bomford...

I can see a potential Crawford deal being a bit like the Watters one. We get a quality midfielder for two years, he moves on and the player we gave in exchange for him goes on to play 200+ games...
    Last edited by Donners; 20th September 2004 at 11:51 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456