Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Crawford

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    On the Rookie List

Shane Crawford

Sorry to sound like an old gossip...but I just spoke to someone who was at the All Australian dinner (corporate guest). Whilst in the toilet, they were standing near Eddie and an unnamed Hawthorn board member. Discussion centred around the selection of the new coach (at that stage not released to the media) and that Crawford was DEFINITELY on his way to Sydney, with the finer points of the deal to be sorted out (happy with player for player situation).

Normally, I view this kind of tale as "Urban myth" type rubbish myself, but given the accuracy of the first part of the information, the stuff around Crawf may also be true.

FWIW, I think SC is an old hack, and the Swans would be insane to go for him at his age.

Blog Entries

Re: Shane Crawford

Originally posted by Jimmy C
    Sorry to sound like an old gossip...but I just spoke to someone who was at the All Australian dinner (corporate guest). Whilst in the toilet, they were standing near Eddie and an unnamed Hawthorn board member. Discussion centred around the selection of the new coach (at that stage not released to the media) and that Crawford was DEFINITELY on his way to Sydney, with the finer points of the deal to be sorted out (happy with player for player situation).

Normally, I view this kind of tale as "Urban myth" type rubbish myself, but given the accuracy of the first part of the information, the stuff around Crawf may also be true.

FWIW, I think SC is an old hack, and the Swans would be insane to go for him at his age.
    Gee I hope they were taking the p1ss in more ways than one. As I said before I hope it is a straight trade for Seymour and the Crawf will be doing the running...

I can see many reasons why crawford would come here, but the biggest reason not to must be his back ended contract at Hawthorn where he qualitfies for the veterans rule and is reportidly on $800K next year.

I wonder if he does move, will Hawthorn still pick up some of his salary, and if so will they be able to claim it as "veteran" payments ?

SXP
    If there's any grain of truth in this, I would say there must be a player in Swans team that wants back to Melbourne for some kind of a one-to-one swap deal, otherwise I don't see how that deal can be made. You must not forget that Shane is contracted for another 2 years to Hawthorn. Remember Duffy from Richmond. I hope it is not the same deal.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Sounds like rubbish to me. The Hawthorn board member should have known who the coach was at that stage. Anyway, why discuss such details in a dunny of all places, and where they could be overheard.

Loose lips sink ships ...

If our premiership window is ajar it may be a prudent move, especially if a deal can be struck which sees Hawthorn pay half or all of his salary.

I wouldn't want to give up too much to get him to Sydney but he is a quality player and would boost his and our chances of a premiership in 2005.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Blog Entries
    Lets earmark this thread for future reference.............

I thought Eddie was trying to get him for the Wobbles...
    "My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

Blog Entries
    Why would the swans offer a player for trade now in the middle of the finals???? Wouldn't they want stability and high moral around the club during Septmeber????

Living in 2005
    Originally posted by ScottH
    Why would the swans offer a player for trade now in the middle of the finals???? Wouldn't they want stability and high moral around the club during Septmeber????
    I am pretty confident if this was true that the player wouldn't even be told to after the finals.

I am sure underhanded half ass trading starts early each year. Roos would know who he is willing to let go of and who he wants in return.

Whether this is the case for Crawford remains to be seen.

On the Rookie List
    Crawf was playing terrific footy in 2003 so we shouldn't forget about that.

He carries a huge burden at Hawthorn and if that was released to some extent, is there a chance he might be freed (physically and mentally) somewhat?

I know it sounds a bit like the Daffy trade, but the Crawf ain't no flash in the pan and if the right trade terms (Swans come out ahead) could be agreed, then he might give a young midfield some balance.

Who would be available for trade:

Saddo (sub standard KPP, best suited up forward these days)
    Fossy (a no contact outside kick chaser)
    James (reckon it didnt work)

What do the Hawks need? Goal kickers? Do we have any available for trade? F#ck No!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast