Thread: Trading: please explain

On the Rookie List BAZooka Woman's Avatar

Trading: please explain

Being relatively new to the code, I still haven't got to grips with this trading thing and how the draft picks work.

Does anyone know of an "Idiot's Guide" on the net for how this all happens?

Kick it! Kiiiiick iiiiiiiiit!

I could well be wrong, and am happy for someone to correct me on any mistakes below....

Basically with draft picks, it works on reverse order to the ladder for that year and then on top of that, if a team wins 5 games or less, they get a priority pick.

So this year, Richmond, Hawthorn and the Dogs will share picks 1-6 (they all finished with 5 wins or less, hence 2 picks) then Collingwood have pick 7 and so on...

I believe that from there, the order repeats itself through the early rounds, but once it gets to later rounds and clubs have fulfilled their obligation of making 3 choices at the draft, then not all clubs have 4th and 5th round picks, but only those who have room on their list, and even then, they are not obligated to draft anyone with those picks.

With regards to trading, teams can use a combination of currently listed players and draft picks for the upcoming national draft as part of trading deals.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Plus I think each club must select 3 therefore must delist 3 to make room. We did that last year to Bevan and then drafted him again.

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by sfan
    Plus I think each club must select 3 therefore must delist 3 to make room. We did that last year to Bevan and then drafted him again.
    Buchanan, not Bevan

Can't directly swap draft picks either.

On the Rookie List BAZooka Woman's Avatar
    Thanks everyone! And I gather then we can trade players for draft picks .. so we get earlier picks?
    Kick it! Kiiiiick iiiiiiiiit!

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Originally posted by BAZooka Woman
    Thanks everyone! And I gather then we can trade players for draft picks .. so we get earlier picks?
    Yes, swapping a player for draft picks is okay, often you'll find that it's one club swapping a player for another player plus a pick.

Where it gets complicated is where more than two clubs are involved in a trade. It's not unusual for a draft pick to pass through four or more clubs during the trading period.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final