Thread: PK's Book

PK's Book

I just purchased my copy of Swan Song - The Paul Kelly Story.

Let me tell you, (for those that haven't read it or heard about it) it is a great read.
    One thing that really comes out in the book is how much Kelly loves the Sydney Footy Club, the other thing that we as general supporters don't realise is how much we have to thank players like Greg Williams and Barry Mitchell for the effort they put in in developing PK when he first arrived at the club.

If you are undecided about buying this book, my recommendation is to get out there and get it, it is worth the reading, and I'm only 100 pages into it at the moment.

Thumbs up

yep, it's a good get.

As I mentioned in the other thread about the book... it's not exactly the best standard of writing you can find, but it's a fascinating read if you're a Swans fan and want to know a bit more about the conditions at the club in the early 90s (esp for someone like me, who only climbed on board in the late 90s).

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

CONDITION OF THE CLUB IN THE EARLY 90'S

There is one question I kept asking myself the more I read the book, and that was "how could anyone stay and play with the club in those days?". Honestly it must have been the worst, that is why I admire players such as Kels Cressa and Luey so much. They where there in the really really bad days and stuck with us. Just a big pity for their efforts they didn't get the ultimate reward.

On the Rookie List
    I must admit I flew through the book in a couple of days, great read and hard to put down.
    So many great and interesting bits to talk about on here.
    One part I found amusing was how dale lewis used to follow PK around when the blokes were young guys living by themselves in Sydney and eventually PK and his other swan team mates had to say enough was enough and kick lewis out of their 2nd or 3rd place because he was to dam messy. Of course dale was shattered.
    We should start an official thread and revisit all our favourite bits, there are plenty for mine!
    No.1 ticket holder of Nick Davis Fan Club...

On the Rookie List
    I sooooooooo want to buy it

Originally posted by motorace_182
    I sooooooooo want to buy it
    how's this for mean - as soon as it was posted on here that it was coming out i told my mum to get it as SOON as it hit the shelves, preferably before, and i'd pay her back as soon as i was around long enough to do it. So everyone says its out, i haven't seen my copy so i assume she hasn't got it. Out shopping on the weekend and see it ultra-cheap in K-Mart ($19.XX if you're interested!) and pick it up and mum's like "No, put it back" and i twig that she's had it ever since it came out and she won't give it to me until easter when my exams are done it's torture knowing that book is in the house and i still can't touch it!

On the Rookie List jude_boltons_babe's Avatar

i havent got the book yet

i went to have a look at the book it looks excellent
    jude bolton and adam biggest fan ever

I had a skim read through his chapter on the 1996 season while I was standing in the bookshop - looks like a fun and breezy read.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Bought it at lunch time today, just finished reading it 10 mins ago. Very interesting read, and it really is typical Paul Kelly, very understated. Although one of the things I did find surprising was that he did rate himself a few times, which I wasn't expecting, but it wasn't a boastful thing, more just a statement of facts.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.