Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Sydney Kids Drafted?

Originally posted by shearer
    Pekay, Mick Ryans a champion bloke and great player, only wish he was back at St George.

Northern Swan, im sure the Saints 18's from this year would love to play you. Put us up in the Crown Plaza Terrigal and give us a $500 drink card in the nightclub and you have got a game.
    that drink card has blue and white written all over it Shearer!!i watched MIck play and he did very well,considering the Panthers were very thug based.is he in the RAAF?if so may pull some strings and get him posted to Richmond!!!

Yea I know Austi (don't we all??) He became a father 2 weeks ago & I caught him at the Pub on Saturday night. We were talking about your promise of a pre season game in point of fact. Whats doing there??
    mate were still keen but yet to secure a senior coach,once in place ill be in touch with the powers that be.also congrats to you as it seems you played in the 18s granny vs Gosford,well done.hopefully we play Cardiff,we have ADFA coming up to Sydney(we went there last year) and maybe down south.we used to play Ungarie in Northern Riverina FL but thats not on anymore.but i love trials!

Sweet home Novacastria
    "Rod" I feel it un appropriate to further comment on the board to the issues you have put forth. There is a lot to this issue that shouldn't be made too public & we'll leave it at that ey!

Northern Swan, im sure the Saints 18's from this year would love to play you. Put us up in the Crown Plaza Terrigal and give us a $500 drink card in the nightclub and you have got a game.
    You do realise Terrigal is a 1 1/2 hour drive away from our ground don't ya??
    We played Penno in the preseason 2004 & the seniors went ok (although it was played on a field under 4 inches of water due to a tropical dounpour!!) the quarter time score was 0-0 to 0-0 from memory.
    I think we have been for a game with a division 1 side The coach likes to have a game at or below our standard and then one above it to lead into the season.

watched MIck play and he did very well,considering the Panthers were very thug based.is he in the RAAF?if so may pull some strings and get him posted to Richmond!!
    The irony is that Rynos suspensions came from 2 striking charges against terrigal! Sorry Pekay he is an army lad so you cant have him!

mate were still keen but yet to secure a senior coach,once in place ill be in touch with the powers that be.also congrats to you as it seems you played in the 18s granny vs Gosford,well done.hopefully we play Cardiff,we have ADFA coming up to Sydney(we went there last year) and maybe down south.we used to play Ungarie in Northern Riverina FL but thats not on anymore.but i love trials!
    Nah I was coach of the 18's. It was a good win from them, especially considering they hadnt beaten Gosford in 2 years in the 18's. Come to think of it i think Austi may have introduced us that day?!?
    My personal interactions with ADFA have been less than savoury (uni games) so I hope you wipe the floor with them!

Northern Swan,i was legless all weekend,but we spoke behind Terrigals bench if memory serves correct.still congrats are in order for coaching a flag.looking forward to ADFA,we took 28 blokes(about 5-6 senior players) down to Duntroon this year to be met by 90+ dead set units running around the nicest field ive seenin a long time.they beat us well in searing heat,and we only had 1 hr to get ready after the drive,but even wth a nice sleep in we still wouldve worn it.a great bunch of blokes on and off the field, and will be affiliated with them for awhile now.we are attempting to affiliate with more defence clubs(eg-Tindal,East Wagga, Ipswich et al)to strengthen our position in the west,so if ya know of any(besides your local Sardines!)let me know.now you must excuse me,i need to PUMP UP MY OWN TYRES AGAIN!THANX PRINCE YA SEPPO

Sweet home Novacastria
    we are attempting to affiliate with more defence clubs(eg-Tindal,East Wagga, Ipswich et al)to strengthen our position in the west,so if ya know of any(besides your local Sardines!)let me know
    Nah, you wouldn't wanna get involved with the sardines!! Distinct lack of quality there. (not to mention a few chromosomes)

The few guys who have come through the club in the RAAF I think have come interstate, plus the one from the Nor- west. The raffies up here tend to spread themselves between a few clubs (us, city & the bay) given the base is pretty much 1/2 way between Newcastle & Nelson Bay. Traditionally we have seemed to get more army guys since the Singleton club were removed from the competition (as opposed to folding) & we being the closest to the freeway & the New England Highway, Cardiff became the closest option.

On the Rookie List
    "Rod" I feel it un appropriate to further comment on the board to the issues you have put forth. There is a lot to this issue that shouldn't be made too public & we'll leave it at that ey!
    N_Swan - I didn't put those issues forth, I was responding to issues already raised by others on the board. I totally agree with you in that there is a lot to this issue, but my point was that in order to improve things, we need to contructively criticise, rather than just criticise.

For example if you think the kids up north are being stitched up in terms of getting exposure, why don't you force the issue with the U/18's rep team playing the top 4 U/18 Sydney teams in pre-season matches? Get in touch with the U/18 coaches and tee up the games - I'm sure they'd love the chance to play against a good tough unit in the pre-season. The NSW AFL would appreciate the helping hand, and that way you also ensure the games go ahead and the kids up there get the exposure they deserve.

Sweet home Novacastria
    For example if you think the kids up north are being stitched up in terms of getting exposure, why don't you force the issue with the U/18's rep team playing the top 4 U/18 Sydney teams in pre-season matches? Get in touch with the U/18 coaches and tee up the games - I'm sure they'd love the chance to play against a good tough unit in the pre-season. The NSW AFL would appreciate the helping hand, and that way you also ensure the games go ahead and the kids up there get the exposure they deserve.
    That is supposed to happen for 2005, as a culmination of a few years effort, however the first 4 rounds of the competition, the top 4 from '04 were to have a bye. Now that the bye has been eliminated, the whole plan seems to have been halted. The Under 18 side are training as a development squad from early January.

In 2004, the Rep team was scheduled to play the Redbacks, however this seemed to disappear when the rep side beat the North Coast by 300 points in a earlier match. (I think the coach got scared)

Unfortunately, due to this 6 very talented players were not looked at (from various clubs) and are too old for Under 18 football in 2005

On the Rookie List
    That is supposed to happen for 2005, as a culmination of a few years effort, however the first 4 rounds of the competition, the top 4 from '04 were to have a bye. Now that the bye has been eliminated, the whole plan seems to have been halted. The Under 18 side are training as a development squad from early January.
    Gotcha. That's a shame for the 6 kids that missed out last year, and would be a real bugger if it doesn't happen in the first 4 rounds next year, but can't you hook some pre-season games up at least for early 2005 between the top 4 Sydney clubs?
    I know there are some bloody good players up there - Kris Williams/Dave Flynn/Simmo/Ryno - not sure about the U/18's, but there has to be a way of getting them exposure. Have you tried organising a meeting with Carter to see exactly why the Redback game didn't go ahead and try to make plans to ensure that it doesn't get missed again? Or why not try and make it a yearly fixture where the Premier from Sydney u/18's takes on the Rep squad from up North? Could make a big deal out of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12