Thread: Swans v Crows - The Wrap

RWO News

Swans v Crows - The Wrap

The second-tier players were the difference in Adelaide's 27-point win over Sydney and Sydney coach Paul Roos says his club may not have the depth to make significant progress. The Swans' performance against the Crows had Roos questioning the mindset of some his players.

"For some of them, it is time for them to put up," he said. "We can only spend so much time on guys that maybe don't want to be successful. We've still got 19 weeks to go and it's certainly not panic stations yet. They were a good team."

"There were some positives to come out of the game, but if you want to get where Adelaide and Brisbane are, develop a good list and a team that's going to play a hard brand of footy when the first siren starts, not the half-time siren. Is it indicative of the guys that they are not capable of getting over that hump?"

"It's probably time for some of the players to think, 'Where I am at?'," he said. "Hopefully, some of the guys are going to respond based on today's performance. But eventually you are going to have to make some tough calls."

"We have been pretty open in saying where we are. We need to find McLeod, Goodwin, Ricciuto and these sorts of guys," Roos said after the match. "That is the challenge for us over this period of time to find out whether they are in the club and then try to develop them or if they are not in the club. If we want to get to where we want to get to over the next two or three year period then they are the guys you have to find and based on today you would clearly say they are not within the club."

"We can only spend so much time on players who maybe don?t want to be successful, but we still have 19 weeks to go so it?s not panic stations yet as they are a good team and there was some positives to come out of the game."

The Swans' shining light was the performance of captain Stuart Maxfield, who threw himself into the contests. He finished the first half of the game with 18 possessions, and totalled 27 for the match.

Having named Michael O'Loughlin for his first match of the season after a knee injury, the Swans were forced to replace him with Luke Ablett. The Crows also had a late injury withdrawal, replacing Ken McGregor (shoulder) by Daniel Schell.

The Swans will now wait on medical reports for Paul Williams after a clash with Tyson Stenglein late in the game that saw Williams taken from the ground holding his right hip.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that, after watching a video of the match, Roos said he recognised his players had put in more of an effort than he had first thought.

"I was probably a bit more positive after watching the tape ... the main message today is the effort might be there for 25 minutes but it has got to be there for 33 minutes," Roos said."We've got to make sure structurally, whether it is at kick-ins or at stoppages, the guys know what they've got to do."

"After the game a lot of it is memory, the scoreboard component, you're not sure exactly how goals are scored. When you watch the tape you get a clearer picture of why and how and those sorts of things."

Swans captain Stuart Maxfield discussed the weekend's efforts with Roos before a meeting with the leadership group, a regular occurrence on a Monday.

"He just questioned me on who I thought, where I thought the lack of effort came from ... I must say there are probably four or five players I felt didn't play very well," Roos said. "But I don't think it is through lack of trying. Everyone has a bad day. We just have to make sure we keep working hard."

Maxfield said the group did not focus on Roos's immediate post-match comments.

"We didn't discuss Roosy's comments - I think we were pleased with our efforts. Obviously our start we weren't happy with, I think we were disappointed with the scoreline at half-time," Maxfield said. "We need more discipline with our game plan. The last two games we have gone outside the boundaries - we haven't stuck to the game plan. We've had lapses in concentration, therefore we lost by five goals at the weekend."

Jared Crouch had a good game on Adelaide star Andrew McLeod.

"They are a good side but we were not showing the same enthusiasm in the first half as we did in the second half,? Crouch said. ?It was a tough game but unfortunately we let them get a start and it doesn?t matter how well we played we could never get back into it."

"We fumbled the ball and turned it over and the chances we did get we didn?t kick. Obviously they had a big lead on us and the boys showed a bit after halftime but unfortunately it was al too late."

Crouch admitted the coach didn?t say much at halftime.

"He didn?t have to say much but he did say you have to look your teammate in the eye and a lot of guys I don?t think were able to do that in the first half. It?s obviously a challenge he threw to us and some guys answered it but unfortunately it did take a challenge from the coach."

"We should be out there minute one. You should be challenged and wanting to play for your mates."

More at
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...172541894.html
    Last edited by RWO News; 15th April 2003 at 10:39 AM.