Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Momentum vs Kids

Are some people forgetting our win a fortnight ago???

Anyway, yes having some momentum going into the season is always nice, but not as important as getting the senior players match fitness at this stage of the pre season. But winning the next two matches or not isn't going to effect things as much as some would have you believe.

The results don't matter, it gaining match fitness and some touch that are more important.
    Once was, now elsewhere

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by Mike_B
    Going by some comments from people today, and things I have seen, I can't help but think Fosdike is one name in particular who is on the weeding list.
    I've been a bit of a Fosdike "defender" over the past few years, not because I think he's a champion in the making, but because I think he's been judged against where he was taken in the draft (which isn't his fault) rather than against the absolute standards required of a regular AFL player.

But I've been very very disappointed with what I've seen from him over the past two weeks. There is probably only one spot in the team between he and Spriggs, especially with McVeigh looking fit, strong and on-song. Spriggs hasn't set the world on fire but I'd say he's a fair way ahead of Fosdike at the moment.

I'm SO over the swans! swan_song's Avatar
    I'm going to have my head bitten off here I feel, but IMO today's effort from the team was quite simply deplorable. Sure they were at 3/4 strength and we still had many out, but time and again wrong options were chosen (kicking to packs, which Brizzie love), field kicking was in part just plain awful, there was little shepherding, talking and helping teammates (though plenty of leaping on the ball and bottling it up), lots of playing the boundary again, some absolutely stupid free kicks given away... Thankfully, and hopefully, this is not the side we will field in the season proper. In the two game I have seen, I don't rate the efforts of Jolly very highly. Spriggs today did very little I thouight, but then again there were pretty few who did anything. For the second week running I rate LRT as in the Swans' best three. Heath James is not the solution at FB, and he gave away too many shots at goal thru silly free kicks.
    Having said all that, and taken the question of momentum, which I raised after last week's effort, into consideration, the more worrying thing to me was that for the umpteenth time the Swannies failed to score a goal in two quarters of football. Indeed I think it an indictment in modern day football for any team, from little leaguers to the woop-woop league, to go for three quarters of football and only score a single goal! Worrying times for Roosie?
    "Davis...Davis has kicked 2...he snaps from 40...dont tell me, dont tell me, hes kicked a goal....unbelievable stuff from Nick Davis, can you believe this, he's kicked 3 final quarter goals and Swans are within 3 points..."

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I wonder where Jolly is going to fit in the side when everyone is fit. All 3 ruckmen (Ball, Doyle and Jolly) rucked today and I'd definitely rate Doyle and Ball's efforts above Jolly's. Can we really play 3 ruckmen in the same team along with the other KPPs?

I'm SO over the swans! swan_song's Avatar
    I thought that when Ball was in the ruck was perhaps the only time when we looked dangerous, if that is a word that could be used in the context of today's game.
    After watching the Bullies defeat the boozers last night I thought our effort against the doggies had risen in hindsight in my mind, filling me with a bit of optimism for today....after all, Willo, Maxie, Tadhg, Ball, Hall, shd have bolstered the side, and we usually play well against the Lions...what a difference a day makes!!!!

At the moment I couldn't find a place for Jolly in our starting 22 for round one, but I doubt the match committee will feel the same about our star recruit, and I hope they are right!
    "Davis...Davis has kicked 2...he snaps from 40...dont tell me, dont tell me, hes kicked a goal....unbelievable stuff from Nick Davis, can you believe this, he's kicked 3 final quarter goals and Swans are within 3 points..."

Regular in the Side
    Originally posted by ugg
    Can we really play 3 ruckmen in the same team along with the other KPPs?
    i don't think that is the plan, but with ball's age and doyles injury history, i'll put $100 down now on jolly playing in 8 matches at least.

At the mometn Spriggs and Jolly are no chance to play in Rd 1

As you can see from my team here (with very conservative postions...ie no Kennelly in midfield, Barry on a Key Forward as James is not quite working.

Five midfielders - Williams, Kirk, J. Bolton, McVeigh, Maxfield,

Two Tall Backs - Barry, Roberts - Thomson

Two Medium Backs - Kennelly, C. Bolton

Two Small Backs - Bevan, Mathews

Two Small Forwards - Buchanan, N.Davis

Two Medium Forwards - Goodes, O'Keefe

Two Tall Forwards - Hall, O'Loughlin

One Ruckman - Ball

Bench

One Ruckman/Tall Forward - Doyle
    One Medium - Nicks
    Two Smalls - Schneider, Ablett

As for the next most likely players Jolly would not get a game ahead of Saddington, James, Dempster or Vogels as either a tall forward or Back.

Spriggs would have to be lagging behind Willoughby and Moore, whilst Fosdike has probably played his last game.

Very dissapointing to use pick 15 on a player with no physical presence who is not much of a ruck, doesn't take much of a grab and has below average kicking with waaaay below average hand skills. Excuse me???
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

On the Rookie List
    Fossy was poor. Played with none of the composure of a player of his vintage.

Jamesy, well his procrastination is seeing him sink into the quicksand of AFL oblivion. Is afraid to back himself and the injury excuse is officially "old".

Spriggs may not be brilliant but he has a fair bit of guts and is at least hungry to prove himself, something Fossy aint.

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by timthefish
    i don't think that is the plan, but with ball's age and doyles injury history, i'll put $100 down now on jolly playing in 8 matches at least.
    I reckon we will play all 3 ruckmen despite jolly's poor efforts. He did get his hands on the ball numerous times and tapped it to the wrong person, but in time, i can see him play well. For one, he seems very enthusiastic not only mentally but physically.

By having 3 ruckman, we can have a good rotating policy between them on the field so that they can rest on the forward line.
    Using hypothesis testing via confidence intervals:
    Nick Davis mark inside 50 = goal

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Originally posted by Sid
    I reckon we will play all 3 ruckmen despite jolly's poor efforts. He did get his hands on the ball numerous times and tapped it to the wrong person, but in time, i can see him play well. For one, he seems very enthusiastic not only mentally but physically.
    Yep i think we'll play the 3 ruckman as well, all of which rotating from FF,Ruck to bench..Me thinks Doyle will be up forward first game with ball in Ruck and Jolly on the bench.

RE: Fossie, definately behind spriggs now in the pecking order. Terrible game to play on his 24th or 25th birthday yesterday.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

On the Rookie List
    Spriggs is definitely not magic but i see him as a regular in our side. He definitely seems to have the skills and the fitness.

LRT played very well and could come in handy in our defence.

Im getting a bit sick of james. There were some small mistakes he made which cost some goals. I agree with a mate when I say hes not going to be a FB but only a fill in when someones injured.
    Using hypothesis testing via confidence intervals:
    Nick Davis mark inside 50 = goal

Suspended by the MRP
    We will really miss Ball when he retires, he makes such a difference to our side. Doyle is progressing nicely but at this stage cannot hold a candle to Balls work around the ground both marking and as a link man. He is often first or second reciever of a hand ball which gives us our run.

He really is the modern day ruck package

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast