Thread: Drafting

Drafting

I have noticed about a weeks ago, some people were saying our drafting has been poor, particuarly 98'.
    Looking it up on
    http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=dra...alltimedraftlt

i had a look at 98' swans drafts, which people say we made poor selections considering the high picks we had. But if you look at the players we traded for those picks, it seems quite good

Numerous draft picks, Licuria - Pick 3 (Fosdike)
    Ofarrel - pick 4 (Fitzgerald)
    Jason Mooney - pick 8 (Bolton)
    Pick 28 (Heath James)

Not good move on Licuria, (i know we had heaps like him)

In 97'

Gained Simon Hawking and Brent Green, gave away Pick (31) Simon Black
    Pick 11 (Saddington)
    Pick 43 (Goodes)

ONly bothered looking at 2, so pprob not too accurate, anyways
    Well bit of a mixed bag, in 97 Goodes was great value!, however missed out on black.
    However Black was taken at 31 which shows he was left to slide down the pecking order a little, so pick 31 for those 2 players seems reasonable. Just bad luck that Brisbane happened to choose a champion
    Adam Goodes - The great red and white hope.

Senior Player

Re: Drafting

Originally posted by thommoone
    Just bad luck that Brisbane happened to choose a champion
    Who says Goodes isn't or isn't going to be a champion?

Re: Drafting

Originally posted by thommoone
    Just bad luck that Brisbane happened to choose a champion
    I think come draft time, kids look very different to how they actually turn out. Sure he is a champion now, but how much of it is based purely on ability and desire of the player themself, and how much can you put down to coaching staff and development that is made once drafted.

IMHO it's a combination of the two, unfortunately for us, the Sydney Football Club seems to be quite poor with the latter. Take Jude Bolton for instance, you could never question his desire and commitment, but why hasn't he made the same progress as say a Simon Black. Yes I know they were drafted in different years, but Bolton was a top 10 pick, Black was left to the 30's.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Maybe shows a difference in player development at the lions as opposed to the swans.

I think Jude Bolton has gone backwards with his skills.

I'm SO over the swans! swan_song's Avatar
    Diego, a cynic might suggest that that's an impossability for someone who lacked skills to start with...
    "Davis...Davis has kicked 2...he snaps from 40...dont tell me, dont tell me, hes kicked a goal....unbelievable stuff from Nick Davis, can you believe this, he's kicked 3 final quarter goals and Swans are within 3 points..."