Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greg Stafford - Winner or Chronic Underachiever

On the Rookie List

Question Greg Stafford - Winner or Chronic Underachiever

I was wondering what everybody thought about Greg Stafford's performances with Richmond in 2002.

Did Greg have a better 2002 with Richmond than he did in 2001 with the Swans?

My sources tell me that Greg enjoys working under Danny much more than he did under Rocket (not surprising really).

I thought that when Greg was on the field with Richmond he was pretty effective. I didn't see him drop as many embarrassing marks as he did in 2001.

He was ok for Richmond this year, but he's no world beater, he'll be 28 this year I think, and I don't regret letting him go at all.

Maybe it was a case of the move being best for both parties. Good luck to him. I was sad to see him go in a way - local boy, and definitely not short on talent.

(btw TheHood, I moved this thread here, more appropriate in this forum)

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Staff?s work rate and involvement have always been problem issues for him. His forward work was far better last season (26 goals from 16 games) but his general play stats (possessions, hit-outs, marks) are all below his career average. He?s still an under-achiever.

Originally posted by bricon
    Staff?s work rate and involvement have always been problem issues for him. His forward work was far better last season (26 goals from 16 games) but his general play stats (possessions, hit-outs, marks) are all below his career average. He?s still an under-achiever.
    I agree with these comments. Underachieving though is something that the right coaching can often overcome (and the can be caused by by the wrong coaching).

We'll never know how he would have performed under Roos.

My only real regret was the "local boy" aspect. It was a pity he couldn't maintain the form he showed early

On the Rookie List jude_boltons_babe's Avatar

i would have to say greg had a good year

ive got a freind whos a richmond fan and she said he was playing great since moving to the richmond tigers
    jude bolton and adam biggest fan ever

Senior Player
    Still an underachiever I think. As a ruckman, he still cannot ruck. And as a forward, he doesn't kick enough goals to call himself a key forward.

He is also way too big to be called a Small Forward.

I think if Ottens and Ray Hall improve, Stafford will then be the 3rd (or with richardson 4th) tall in line.

Originally posted by TheMase

He is also way too big to be called a Small Forward.

He's too big to be called a small anything :lol

On the Rookie List
    I thought he was a sad loss to the swans and if he is 28 his best could be ahead of him just look at williams. I will never forget him toweling up the Eagles ruck division at subi a few times and thats never easy as they play the ground well.

Senior Player
    Originally posted by Dpw
    I thought he was a sad loss to the swans and if he is 28 his best could be ahead of him just look at williams. I will never forget him toweling up the Eagles ruck division at subi a few times and thats never easy as they play the ground well.
    Williams was always an excellent performer at Collingwood. He was always fairly consistant. Unfortunately at Collingwood he was forced to hide behind Buckley's shadow, whereas at Sydney he has become our number 1 midfielder.

Staff on the other hand had every chance at the Swans (and then some..) but he was unable to capitalise, and if anything went downhill.

At Richmond he has been solid at times, but nothing special. Kicked a few goals, his ruckwork is still same old same old.

First season at a new club last year, this year will be a different story. If Richo, Ottens and Hall lift, it wouldn't surprise me if he dropped out of the starting 22...

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by TheMase
    Williams was always an excellent performer at Collingwood. He was always fairly consistant. Unfortunately at Collingwood he was forced to hide behind Buckley's shadow, whereas at Sydney he has become our number 1 midfielder.

Staff on the other hand had every chance at the Swans (and then some..) but he was unable to capitalise, and if anything went downhill.

At Richmond he has been solid at times, but nothing special. Kicked a few goals, his ruckwork is still same old same old.

First season at a new club last year, this year will be a different story. If Richo, Ottens and Hall lift, it wouldn't surprise me if he dropped out of the starting 22...
    I see yoour point. But you are wrong about williams infact he was less than consistant and failed to perform in big games regulary drawing alot attention from the melbourne media and ex-players hence why he was traded so cheaply. But I love giving it to my magpie friends and he has really come on as a player and leader.

Senior Player
    Originally posted by Dpw
    I see yoour point. But you are wrong about williams infact he was less than consistant and failed to perform in big games regulary drawing alot attention from the melbourne media and ex-players hence why he was traded so cheaply. But I love giving it to my magpie friends and he has really come on as a player and leader.
    In his later years he was less consistant, but from memory prior to that he wasn't.

From rumours it seems Williams and Bucks didn't see eye to eye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast