Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Worse (and best) game of recent years?

Originally posted by cruiser
    What year was that dreadful, boring, low scoring draw against St Kilda at Telstra Dome (then Colonial Stadium)? That was one of the worse I have ever seen.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Originally posted by cruiser
    What year was that dreadful, boring, low scoring draw against St Kilda at Telstra Dome (then Colonial Stadium)? That was one of the worse I have ever seen.

Yeah, that was probably the most insipid pathetic performance I have seen over recent years.

Actually, no the St Kilda final in the rain in 04 was actually worse. The Port drubbing in 04 was explainable because of the lack of cattle we had on the park that day. And against Freo in Perth we at least came back and made a game of it in the 2nd half.

Getting drubbed in the soaking rain in a high profile semi-final we were expected to win is probably as gauling as it gets.

The worst ever Swans effort I can remember was against the Brisbane Bears at the Gabba in 1993 where I think we kicked 2 goals vs 200 odd. I recall I saw the Melbourne based Cheer Squad go up on the Greyhound that day. And the looks of horror on their faces as the atrocity unfolded. I recall we kicked only 2 points deep into the 3rd quarter with the whole crowd sarcastically booing when we kicked one them.

JF
    Last edited by JF_Bay22_SCG; 6th April 2005 at 02:43 PM.
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
    The worst ever Swans effort I can remember was against the Brisbane Bears at the Gabba in 1993 where I think we kicked 2 goals vs 200 odd. I recall I saw the Melbourne based Cheer Squad go up on the Greyhound that day. And the looks of horror on their faces as the atrocity unfolded. I recall we kicked only 2 points deep into the 3rd quarter with the whole crowd sarcastically booking when we kicked one them.

JF
    I was just trying to remember what year that one was, Yes it was an absolute shocker. They wne tvery close to kickingthe highest score ever.

Ironically, this mark sits behind only the Brisbane Bears? 120-point halftime lead against the Sydney Swans at the Gabba in 1993, when Roger Merrett and Michael Murphy kicked eight goals apiece.

Date: 16-May-1993
    Brisbane Bears 10.7 19.10 27.17 33.21 219
    Sydney 0.1 0.4 2.6 8.9 57

Brisbane Bears won by 162 pts. Att: 8,916 Venue: Gabba

19 goals to none at half time!!!!
    Last edited by ScottH; 5th April 2005 at 08:09 AM.

Blog Entries
    There was also a game in the early nineties against Carlton at the SCG, we were in front ( a rare occurence back then). I commented at the time "If we lose this I'm giving them away".

Leon Higgins, who was staring in the backline, went off injured and Carlton ran over us.

So I gave the Sydney Swans away...............Why don't I keep my promises!!!!

Of course there was the shocking loss against StKilda in '94 when Lockett killed us (and Peter Caven's nose) in the last quarter.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Originally posted by ScottH
    I was just trying to remember what year that one was, Yes it was an absolute shocker. They wne tvery close to kickingthe highest score ever.

Date: 16-May-1993
    Brisbane Bears 10.7 19.10 27.17 33.21 219
    Sydney 0.1 0.4 2.6 8.9 57

Brisbane Bears won by 162 pts. Att: 8,916 Venue: Gabba

19 goals to none at half time!!!!
    I'm glad I was travelling overseas at the time and actually missed that entire season.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by NMWBloods
    Of course there was the shocking loss against StKilda in '94 when Lockett killed us (and Peter Caven's nose) in the last quarter.
    I think he attempted to kill a few in the crowd behind the goals with some of the goals he drilled.

A guy I know reckons it was at him and his mates, but I don't believe that.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    It wasn't the greatest game of all time, but that game in 1993 when we beat Melbourne in round 13 was good to watch. It was our only win that season, our previous win was round 8, 1992 and our next was round 4, 1994 ... but during a losing streak you would take any win.

27-Jun-1993 at SCG
    Sydney 5.4 11.4 21.8 23.11 (149)
    Melbourne 5.4 10.7 10.8 16.13 (109)
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Originally posted by NMWBloods
    Best game is not any win - look at some of the shockers we have won.

I'm not saying that losses are enjoyable, but it's not necessarily the case that every lost game is amongst the worst.

For example, compared a season where we win 14-8 and don't win the flag, and every win is a tough grind and dull to watch, against another season where we win 12-10, all games are exciting and a joy to watch. The odd extra losses are possibly worth it for a more enjoyable spectacle.

In some ways I can empathise with the comments from the 'Journey' brigade (which is why I like to jump up and down about it). Of course the aim is to win a flag, but it's a professional sport and as a spectator to it I also want to enjoy the game when I watch it.

That's not to say losing is awfully frustrating, however winning when it is boring doesn't enthral me either.

i think the thing is a swans fan who went through all the wooden spoons and rubbish is generally happy to win full stop....probably a bad thing!!!

i see what your saying though, id much rather watch 1996 or 1998 swans games than 2004, 05 games
    Theres not much left to say

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Originally posted by ScottH
    I think he attempted to kill a few in the crowd behind the goals with some of the goals he drilled.

A guy I know reckons it was at him and his mates, but I don't believe that.
    It WAS Foreign Legion and his partner at the time. I know that it was THEM that Plugger kicked the footy at.

Lockett then came out with cult comments saying that Sydney supporters "were the nastiest & most spiteful supporters in the league".

What did you two say to him FL?

JF

PS:- FL also got a reaction out of James Cook of Carlton when we played at Princes Park one year.
    Last edited by JF_Bay22_SCG; 6th April 2005 at 03:29 AM.
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Blog Entries
    This is the worse thread ever. In fact, I am having trouble thinking of a worst one, siriusly.

Veterans List
    Originally posted by ROK Lobster
    This is the worse thread ever. In fact, I am having trouble thinking of a worst one, siriusly.
    Stay on topic. Start your own best and worse thread thread if you wish. Though this thread has lost my attention a bit since JF and friends decided that "recent years" is any time since the Swans last won a flag.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast